Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

can i put old oil,atf and gear lube in my 6.9?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 05:50 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can i put old oil,atf and gear lube in my 6.9?

Can i put old motor oil,atf ,frying oil and gear lube in my 6.9? If so, how do
I filter it?Do I need to mix it with fuel, or can I run it strait?
sorry but I am a to this hole alternative diesel fuel thing.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:16 PM
dakotajeep
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to the alternative fuel discussion board. That would be the place to find specific methods of filtering.

I wouldnt recommend using gear oil as a fuel. That said I have burned ATF and WMO (waste motor oil) in mine.

Good luck

Thad

Old 06-14-2009, 06:20 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
thanks, i will post it there.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:22 PM
GenLightening
Senior User
I would also say no to the gear lube, due to it being so thick. As for the rest, filter it down to at least 5 microns and pour it in. There are lots of set ups for the filters. Check the other forum for pics and see what you like.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:42 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
I would do some serious research before I tried straight oil in it as motor oil burns a lot hotter than diesel and has caused engines to run away and overwind.
Personally I will stick to diesel even waste fryer oil just look at it cold and compare it with diesel and imagine that going through your IP.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Two things to consider.
Heavier oils tend to produce more BTU's when burnt.
What contaminants or addatives are in other oils.

High BTU fuels may shorten head gasket life and possibly piston life.
The CDR dumping oil vapor in the rear cylinders of the 6.9 stretching the head bolts causing head gasket failure is a real issue.

Likewise, the deposits created by addatives and contaminates may shorten injector and IP life.
One of the main reasons for changing oils in transmissions and differential is to remove the metal contamination from worn bearings and bushings.

Yes, replacement injectors and injection pumps are reasonable enough, but that don't help much when you are stranded on the side of the highway.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:18 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
Two things to consider.
Heavier oils tend to produce more BTU's when burnt.
What contaminants or addatives are in other oils.

High BTU fuels may shorten head gasket life and possibly piston life.
The CDR dumping oil vapor in the rear cylinders of the 6.9 stretching the head bolts causing head gasket failure is a real issue.

Likewise, the deposits created by addatives and contaminates may shorten injector and IP life.
One of the main reasons for changing oils in transmissions and differential is to remove the metal contamination from worn bearings and bushings.

Yes, replacement injectors and injection pumps are reasonable enough, but that don't help much when you are stranded on the side of the highway.
but is that not were a really good filter comes in?

Trending Topics

Old 06-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
How small can the wear metals be in oil?
Someone suggested a magnet, but most engine bearings are not ferrous metal.

Way back when I remember a filter that used toilet paper rolls to filter the oil.
A pass through one of them would remove almost all of the soot and dirt in the oil.
But it took a very long time to filter anything through it given how many layers there are on a roll of toilet paper.

Guess it worked to well, I don't remember seeing any of them for 25 years or so now.

I have actually considered trying to build something like that, just to get rid of my used oil.

Add a gallon or two to 40 gallons of fuel.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,701 Likes on 1,375 Posts
Originally Posted by bill11012
but is that not were a really good filter comes in?
My take on this is if you can filter it good enough not to cause damage to the injection system, then it's good enough to pour back into the engine and re-use it to lube the engine as it was intended.

I wouldn't dare use atf in the fuel either. I add it to my tractor at home, but I am too afraid the dye in the atf will contaminate the fuel system and if I get pulled over by the fuel police, they will detect it. And even if they believed you that it was atf, they would still fine you, because additives to the fuel are restricted to some low number like 3% volume.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:40 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm storing my WMO and used ATF for burning. So far no problems and the truck runs rather well when I dump roughly a gallon in per fill up though can be ornery on winter cold starts. Makes a little more low end torque and EGTs don't seem to be any higher, if anything they seemed slightly lower.

What I did notice is that diesel motor oil is VERY hard on fuel pumps. I have 3 electric pumps lying around from various vehicles in the past, and none of them were able to move the oil in more than a trickle and built up a lot of heat while trying. Some guys are burning nothing but WMO in their IDIs and have racked up thousands of miles doing it, but I'm not sure how they get away with fuel that thick.

For my storage tank I simply pressurize it with 10 PSI shop air to get the oil out through the filter and into a jug so I can pour it into the tank.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:29 AM
GenLightening
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
My take on this is if you can filter it good enough not to cause damage to the injection system, then it's good enough to pour back into the engine and re-use it to lube the engine as it was intended.

That would be true if the oil didn't break down from the friction and heat in the engine. After it's done that job, it works pretty good as fuel. Some have been running as high as 100% WMO, but I would feel better with 50% or lower.

I wouldn't dare use atf in the fuel either. I add it to my tractor at home, but I am too afraid the dye in the atf will contaminate the fuel system and if I get pulled over by the fuel police, they will detect it. And even if they believed you that it was atf, they would still fine you, because additives to the fuel are restricted to some low number like 3% volume.

They're looking for a chemical tracer and not just the color, which ATF won't leave.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:34 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by GenLightening
[/color]

They're looking for a chemical tracer and not just the color, which ATF won't leave.
I think you are correct when they use the test strips, however several times they have just shined a light in my tanks. That would not work on a pickup though.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:37 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
The fuel police? How and why do they pull someone over?

Old 06-15-2009, 09:58 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Depends on where you are mine has mostly been in commercial check points. But they can come on your property and check your tanks and do in farm country fairly regularly.
It's still a FREE COUNTRY yea right.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:00 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Thats ridiculous, i never knew they would or could do that, the checkpoints yeah i can see that but coming to your house......damn.

Quick Reply: can i put old oil,atf and gear lube in my 6.9?