Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

can i put old oil,atf and gear lube in my 6.9?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:22 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know about canada but here it's a tax thing. The only houses I know about them going to are farmers and ranchers that would be using off roud fuel in there equipment but I guess they could legally go to anybodys house, just not worth their time.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:26 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by starmilt
I don't know about canada but here it's a tax thing. The only houses I know about them going to are farmers and ranchers that would be using off roud fuel in there equipment but I guess they could legally go to anybodys house, just not worth their time.
I have seen the "blue" fuel they have around here for off road/farm use. i think it is 89 octane, thought about getting a large external tank for the truck and buying the wifes minivan gas that way, i can save a lot that way. But with the costco and superstores here dropping the gas 10 cents a liter, that makes life a little easier!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:31 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Here the guys with tanks in the back of the trucks (including me) get targeted, but if your tank had offroad gas in it they couldn't say anything and checking your wifes gasser would be unheard of.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
right, hence the plan, but now it isnt that much cheaper so "out the window" it goes.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
In the US, off road fuel is dyed red to indicate highway use tax has not been paid on the fuel.

Since the highway use tax is 54.3 cents per gallon here in WV that adds up rather fast.

When they do a check, they stop every diesel that comes down the road, even VW Rabbit Diesels.

I have never seen them look at anything but fuel color when they dip tanks, so red ATF is something I would not be willing to run in my tank.

The tube they use has a green tint to it, so any red fuel tint appears black in the tube.
Black motor oil mixed in the fuel would look that same, so that is probably not going to fly either.

The boys that run the checks here are "WV Department of Tax and Revenue Criminal Investigation Division" and thay have absolutely no sence of humor about them.

SVO, WVO, WMO, home made biodiesel or any other non taxed fuel in the tanks, 5000 dollar fine plus court costs and a tow bill to a place to remove the non taxed fuel from the tanks in an enviromentally safe method and replace it with taxed fuel before the vehicle is driven on the road again.

Fortunately the check I see most often is always in the same place.
Unfortunately it is also in a place I have to drive through rather often since two stone/cement yards, a pipe supplier, two machinery dealers and three building material suppliers are all out that road off the interstate.
There is also a coal fired power plant out that way, so lots of truck traffic makes it an excellent place for a fuel check.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:38 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't realize they had actual check stops like that over there. Here in BC they have check stops for drunk drivers instead and the cops can be downright polite. Guess BC isn't all bad after all......sheesh!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
yeah i dont have any issues with bc, rather polite indeed!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:47 PM
dakotajeep
Laughing Gas
Yeah, Canadians are either Super nice or real A-holes....but I have rarely run into anything other than the super nice ones.

I have never heard of anyone I know getting checked. Must not be that prevalent in ND. But no one brags about getting a huge fine for running red diesel.

Funny thing is that my buddy thought that diesel was ALWAYS red since his dad ran only Off road diesel in everything he owned....I guess it just depends on where you are at....

Old 06-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Actually the guys running the DUI check points are rather nice here as well.
They get a laugh out of my "Brew Keg" coffee mug every time I go through a check point.

I don't think I could get a chuckle out of the boys at the fuel check with a winch.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:36 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
so it is not legal to run something you did not pay fuel tax on in your trucks tank?

Old 06-15-2009, 09:46 PM
dakotajeep
Laughing Gas
True.

But in my opinion Bicyclists dont pay road taxes but they can utuilize the raod and can use a lane if they chose to. Yeah, they dont cause as much wear as heavy pickup does but they still arent paying for the road to be there while riding a bike.

Anyhow.....

Old 06-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

I had a paper somewhere that listed the highway use tax for diesel in WV.
Something like 23.3 cents per gallon federal highway use tax and 31 cents per gallon state use tax per gallon to make 54.3 total.

The federal tax is the same everywhere, the state portion varies state to state.

If you look at the fuel pumps where you fuel, it is probably posted on the pump somewhere.

Both federal and state law requires highway use tax be paid on every gallon of fuel burned on the highway propelling a vehicle.
Example here, the refer units keeping food trailers cold or frozen use off road fuel, the refrigeration unit is not moving the vehicle.

Some states have exemptions for bio diesel, WVO and fuels like that, but the federal government does not, so they still owe the federal portion of the highway use tax.

The catcher here is, if you get pissy with the tax guys when they dip your tanks and you have non taxed fuel in them.
If they get mad enough you can be looking at tax evasion charges at both the state and federal level.

That happened here a couple years ago, the guy lost his trucks and house over it.

Remember driving is a privilege, not a right.
When tax guys are involved, there are no privileges and very few rights.
And nothing is sacred if you owe them money.
They can and will confiscate any and everything you have to satisfy your debit to them.

If you ever watch any of the shows about the big drug dealers that have been busted over the years, what the DEA did as far as jail time was nothing compared to what the IRS did for tax evasion.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:47 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
so, basically, what your saying is that the those ******* pigs have the legal right to
do whatever the **** they feel like if i do not give them my money to have the "right"
to burn old atf?( the atf that tax was paid on at time of purchase )
P.S, if you read the constitution, it says free travel is a right, NOT a privilege.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:55 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it just me or do you guys in the states have a REALLY hard time with your government? And I thought canadian rules were nuts. I shouldn't complain about the BC carbon tax anymore. Can't help but wonder what the operating budget of the IRS is.....(and the DMV for that matter)

Old 06-15-2009, 11:00 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
thy do not need any budget.
if thy need money, thy just steal from the the people that the government
is there to protect.Somehow I do not think this is what are founding fathers planed...

Quick Reply: can i put old oil,atf and gear lube in my 6.9?