Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

can i put old oil,atf and gear lube in my 6.9?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bill11012
Somehow I do not think this is what are founding fathers planed...
Nor do I.

But I can't say my true feelings about the US government on this public forum!

There are those that would object ...

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 06-16-2009, 12:22 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LMOA what part of travel is free. You can't even walk anywhere you want even on public land that WE THE PEOPLE own. There is nothing in this world free and anything you can think of doing for fun or to make a living there will be a special interest group fighting it.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:38 PM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well yeah its like the christian religion, why is it that people can say i dont have to hear that and they shut down a whole program or take away prayer breakfast, where is the right of wanting to hear it and participate. It is always the dumb morons that wear all black and have black hair with black eyeliner and black nail polish that complain about everything, yeah i am talking about the little unpunished EMO's who are too chicken **** to be goth and afraid of being a normal person. Parents need to do their job and be parents not pals, it's called discipline not abuse; help america become what it once was, not the complaing festering weak excuse that it is in some cities. Go to any small town country place in america and you will not see goth, emo, gangster etc etc. Want to know why? Their parents taught the children to be leaders of men and women, to stand for their country and fight for what is right.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:10 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
West Virginia must be stricter about red fuel than other places. All states are strict if they catch it, but some states check and some don't. Alabama and Arkansas checked a lot some years ago, but I haven't been checked in several years. They checked me one time at a truck stop as I was buying fuel. A guy that works for us got pulled over crossing from Kansas into Nebraska and he had some kind of way bought red fuel in the company truck, he was just new to diesels and didn't pay any attention. They wrote him a ticket, but they let him drive it home.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:32 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AndysFords
They wrote him a ticket, but they let him drive it home.
And I ask you, what on earth is wrong with simply writing a ticket instead of what they do in WV?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:10 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
wow, we got so far
ok, back on track. Will well filterd atf hurt any thing?
Somebody told me I should get new head gaskets and studs first. Is that true?
Do I need to mix it with fuel when it gets cold?
It never gets under +20F were I live

Old 06-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Actually this s not really off topic.

Many states do have fuel checks, and running red ATF in the tank will do more damage to your wallet than it will your engine.
Since we have lots of visitors here that never post, if they read this without the possible tax problems being brought up and went out and filled the tanks with used ATF, then drove down the road and got a huge fine, that would not be good.

You are informed about the possible fines, what you choose to do with that information is your choice.

When you bought the ATF, you paid sales tax, not highway use tax.
Highway use tax is only paid on fuel that is supposed to be burnt in vehicles designed to drive on the highway.

As for the ATF, filter it down as good as possible to the smallest micron filter you can get.
Summer, no problem.
In the winter, mixing it with fuel will help thin the ATF down.
Nobody has ever posted they run ATF for fuel and had engine problems.
I have never run ATF for fuel, so I can't really say one way or the other.

When you get to the part about free travel, you can jump in your truck right now and drive anywhere in the US you want to go.
No permit, no pass you have to tell no one where you are going.
However you do have to put fuel in your truck and are asked for a fee to use the roads you will drive on to get there.
Someone has to pay for building and maintaining the road.
Highway use tax just makes the people that use the roads the most pay the most toward them.

Personally I hate driving through all the potholes here from winter damage to the road.
Since I am out there driving every day to different jobs all around here, I see the highway use tax as one of the fairest taxes we have and I don't mind giving the state money to fix the roads.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:43 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
so how do I go about paying the tax to run it?It is still super cheap that way.
How much diesel do I have to mix in during the winter?
what about the head bolts? I have been told that atf has more btu's and can blow a head gasket on a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI, and to put a kit on the heads for a turbo to deal with the pressure and heat .Do I need to do that?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Are you talking about running straight atf, I have heard of somebody doing it but I don't remember any thing special they did.
I gotta know are you sure your Z is 26% done or maybe 27&lol. I rebuilt a 79 (wife always wanted one) They don't hold up to well after it went ene over end 3 times there wasn't enough left to drag with a wrecker.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:21 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
yes, straight atf. I had the zx at 25%, then I spent $500 on a parts car with a good 5 speed to put in it, and thought that was 1% more.
Do you have pics of the one you wrecked?
That is the one thing I do not like about them.
I am used to either driving a 1 ton or a ex cop car,so their size and lack of frame is something i do not like.
I rolled one of those cop cars into a tree. Drivers door took the hit.
those cars have a built in roll cage, and it stoped that tree.
It barely went 3 inches in!

Old 06-16-2009, 11:29 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
I have pictures somewhere but I didn't wreck it my daughter did, the passenger compartment held together really well but it broke all but one strut and pulled all the driveshafts out of the rearend letting the wheels just lay flat. There was absolutely no glass left even the sunroof but the girl that stayed in it was only scratched up from all the glass.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:34 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
how did she wreck?
my wreck the right rear axle snapped and sent me rolling.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:59 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Start on strait diesel and shut down on it. I probably ran up to 20% ATF/WMO mix and the truck would still cold start, but it didn't really like it and it was not very cold either.

The viscosity of the oil will also be rather hard on the lift pump so I would not run higher concentrations then that unless you are running an auxiliary fuel heater. Actually, I think for running strait oil you have to have an engine coolant heat exchanger directly in the fuel tank to thin the oil down enough that it can be pumped without damaging anything. I know an electric pump will not pump 15w/40 oil without burning up. I tried 3 different pumps and they all begged for death.

As far as paying the tax on it, I think there are provisions for that, but most likely varies from state to state (or province). It most likely would involve some paperwork similar to an income tax filing. Government access office might be the best place to ask. You could try and chime in at OBN since the forum's name sake is after all, oil burners....

As far as the moral obligation of paying road taxes, that is valid, but at least here in canada the money simply goes into general revenue and is used for funding of all sorts of less useful things while roads fall apart anyway. But thats headed way too far off topic...

Old 06-17-2009, 12:15 AM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bill11012
how did she wreck?
my wreck the right rear axle snapped and sent me rolling.

I'm sure it had something to do with speed well over a hundred and inexperiance this was before she was old enough for a license.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by starmilt
but the girl that stayed in it was only scratched up from all the glass.
I don't think I like the way that sounds ... It sounds like there was someone that didn't stay in, I hope not!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Quick Reply: can i put old oil,atf and gear lube in my 6.9?