6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Recall O5e15?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 04:47 AM
kl67
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recall O5e15?

Got a recall letter today for my 05 SD PSD. It states "this emissions update compliance issue on my engine, and will address symptoms of rough idle, loss of power, hard starting and engine stalling. This update will also improve cooling system performance and reliability, and reduce smoke and odor at idle."<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

The bulletin states that "corrosion may exist at the electrode surface on the exhaust pressure sensor; fuel delivery timing during cold weather may not be optimal and/or EGR system operation at idle may not be optimal. These conditions my cause "Check Engine" light illumination (I have never had one!), lack of power (I don't have this problem), hard starting (still no factor), and/or rough engine operation (Again not my truck).<o:p></o:p>

They say they want to "reprogram my OBD and EGR operation software and replace the exhaust sensor...<o:p></o:p>

Has anyone done this recall yet? My truck runs great and I fear they will screw it up!<o:p></o:p>

Looking for some advice from all the folks who know the ins and outs of what ford is doing...<o:p></o:p>

Thanks <o:p></o:p>

Kirk<o:p></o:p>

Old 01-27-2006, 06:34 AM
Toisich
Freshman User
Got my letter yesterday. According to what I've read on the board, it's a pretty minor recall. I haven't read about any ill effects from the flash.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:20 AM
asdfg
New User
Got my letter yesterday too, I had the truck (05 F350 6.0) in for other items and this was done a week ago, Runs better shifts better. Not sure if mine ran as good as yours I would take it in or not.I have not reinstalled the 60Hp tune as it runs that well without it, They also replaced the turbo, and EGR cooler, Truch had 30,000 on it at the time.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:33 AM
nightmoves2
Junior User
My letter said that it will take at least a half day and they will provide a rental car free.It sounds like it is a little more involved then a reflash.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:43 AM
asdfg
New User
I believe the "exhaust pressure sensor" is replaced too,

Old 01-27-2006, 12:05 PM
jbread
New User
To me, this is great news. My 05 F250 runs great, but gets terrible mpg. I've seen data that the mpg problem is related to the exhaust back pressure sensor, as it will read altitude incorrectly, causing the mixture to run rich.
I already had the software reflashed 2 months ago, which fixed my rough idle problem, but not the mpg.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:27 PM
BigDave250
New User
I got my letter yesterday and I was going to wait a while and see how the mileage is after the flash.My question is can ford put any thing in the new flash that will remember if there was a tuner installed. My brother n law bought a 06 f350 and it says in the manual the computer can tell if you had a tuner installed.

Old 01-27-2006, 07:44 PM
F2FIFTY
Junior User
Same here. Debating to go in since my 05 F250 truck is running very smoothly. If I hear good things I will go ahead and get it done. At least they will clean the beast afterwards.

If anyone else gets this latest reflash please report how it goes. If any moderators want to create a sticky thread for this topic would be cool too.

F2F

Old 01-28-2006, 06:02 PM
Delawhere?
Senior User
I just got my letter yesterday for the 05E15 recall, but don't want to run in right away. I figure I'd let the techs practice on a few others first and then go in when they got it right! I cringe everytime I think of a reflash, after my 03 was flashed I lost fuel mileage and the truck ran noisier after that. My 05 runs good and I don't want anything changed but I fear this will do something I won't like. I'll be waiting to see how others make out and hopefully it won't be a big deal!

Old 01-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Delawhere?
I figure I'd let the techs practice on a few others first and then go in when they got it right!
This recall is really no big deal to do. I've done quite a few of them now.
The reflashes seem to be getting better all the time so I wouldn't worry that it won't run as well after or anything.

Old 01-28-2006, 08:15 PM
stewcon
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is schedule for Monday morning. 19980 miles all trouble except when the temperature is 25 and colder. It seems to floods itself until I hammer it. Once the turbo spools up it run fine until I shut in off, then the same thing again. This recall addresses the fuel timing so maybe this will help. If I can see any difference I'll report Monday night or Tuesday. Isn't this the greatest help site around?

Carl

Old 01-28-2006, 09:05 PM
rray32539
Senior User
My dealer has me scheduled for next Wednesday. He says that the reflash can be done while my truck is in for its regular service which I was planning to do and wait for anyway. Free coffee and TV, and I can watch the diesel tech at work from the parts department. Should be out in an hour, no need for a rental car.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:07 AM
TERSEJR
Senior User
I too have gotten this notice, and I too was going to wait mid week or so. I have had smoke problems at cold start up, and if I go to pull my camper after starting the truck and letting it idle for a few, it loads up and tries to die on me. I also have had really rough idleing problems at start up when it is cold outside. I fear to go back to the dealer because that last time I was in there they said that since I had the muffler cut out and a pipe welden in place that I was going to harm the turbo. They also told me that I put a dummy contector where the AIT goes. Well I had to show them and the store manager on another new '05 that they had changed afew things!

The question of chip history has not been answered yet?

Old 01-29-2006, 06:03 AM
crusin
New User
I’ve a 05’ w/12000 miles. I’ve not had any of the symptoms mentioned in the recall. I also have an uploaded chip. My concern is w/uploading new/additional software. Will the Tech see that the chip has been there? Can the Tech do anything to upgrade my existing software to run interference with the chip? Beside, I put the “Superchip” decal on my back window and I’d hate to scrap that off. With the recall lasting until December 08, I think I’ll hold off and watch the feedback on this thread.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:39 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Racerguy
This recall is really no big deal to do. I've done quite a few of them now.
The reflashes seem to be getting better all the time so I wouldn't worry that it won't run as well after or anything.
Cool thanks Dave for the encouraging words ...I go t my letter but it will be a bit before I get it in...So they are re-flashing the computer?

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-29-2006 at 06:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Recall O5e15?