1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Door Locks FIXED!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:32 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Ahh, Brent, if you carve up a copper-coated zinc one-cent piece with an appropriate set of snippers, leaving the resultant the same size size as the original thermistor, it's simply plug-n-play.

There's no messy wrapping, and foil tearing and ripping, to be had.

Some of mine are foil, some are dead mini-Lincolns, but they've all been playing a torquin' tune for at least nine years so far.

If I had to do it again (Heaven forbid!), I'd invest in the coinage.

Of course, YMMV

Pop

Old 01-05-2014, 02:17 AM
NetherX
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried doing this fix on my 2010 F-150's rear passenger door.

I got the door panel off fine, but for the life of me I cannot get that door lock actuator out of the door.

I removed the 3 starhex screws that remove the locking mechanism, and opened up the small pink clip that holds the door rod, but the actuator will not fit out of the door.

Does anyone have some pics or something for a 2010?
thanks!

Old 01-24-2014, 07:54 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NetherX
I tried doing this fix on my 2010 F-150's rear passenger door.

I got the door panel off fine, but for the life of me I cannot get that door lock actuator out of the door.

I removed the 3 starhex screws that remove the locking mechanism, and opened up the small pink clip that holds the door rod, but the actuator will not fit out of the door.

Does anyone have some pics or something for a 2010?
thanks!
No pics, but for my 2007, I removed the exterior handle for better access. Since the cable from the interior handle was very stubborn to remove, I removed the interior handle assembly, which allowed me to pull the actuator partially out the exterior handle opening.

Just prior, after disconnecting both power connections, the door locking tab rod, the key lock connector rod, and the exterior door pull rod, I could easily access the motor cover and remove.

Reading other posts about plastic rivets and the issues to require removal, mine has just four screws that easily remove the motor cover and access the motor.

I would believe an improved design from early models.

Edit... See Pop's post #179.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:49 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

One additional caveat

Originally Posted by SpringerPop

SURPRISE! Remember he said he's had some of them replaced? Well, this is one of the "new-and-improved" actuators, which I've never seen before! A picture is below for those that haven't seen one.

This one comes apart easier, guys! Four small, Torx-headed screws hold it together, and the cover comes right off, revealing a different gear train inside, with a slightly larger motor. The motor shaft looks like it has some kind of clutch on it.

I pop the motor out of the shell, which is slightly more snug in its recess than the old style, but comes out just the same way, with two tiny connectors to pass current to it. Remove just the output shaft gear and set it aside so it doesn't fall off and get lost. Ignore the little white "clutch".

That's all there is to the newer-style ones. Just be sure you have a small-enough Torx driver. I'll post the size of the necessary Torx bit, but it's not here in front of me, and it's late.

Total time, an hour flat, including finding my misplaced small Torx set and explaining myself every step of the way. I was happy with it.

Pop
One more thing, these new style motors with this clutch, don't engage until the motor creates some centifigal force and "locks" into the gear. This then allows the actuator to lock or unlock.

Over time, the gear on the end of the motor wears out where making contact with the clutch, not allowing the actuator to engage properly, but just spins the worn gear, making a grinding noise.

I originally thought my thermistor went bad also, foiled it up and re-installed. Guess what...same issue or result.

After pulling it apart again, I saw the worn gear issue and I then turned that gear around 180* and re-installed, knowing there were enough threads on the other end to engage with the actuator gear assembly.

Put all back together and back to original. Perfect!

If you have this newer style, just beware that this gear wears out and inspect or reverse once apart.

I tried finding a newer type picture in this post but way too many pages and of course, my camera was in the house.

And finally, the Torx bit Pop's refers to above is a very tiny bit, T-8.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:08 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

F350 Door Lock Motor - YouTube

I don't have the time to go through all these pages but I did my back doors today and this worked for me...

Old 03-15-2014, 02:53 PM
OldGunbunny
New User
Almost 10 years since the first post in this thread, and I just used the thread to fix the locks in my 99 Ranger.

Thanks to all who contributed, your messages helped me with this repair.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Cheryl Dempsey
New User
Door locks

i have 02 f250 super duty 4x4 door locks don't work door ajar like stays on and compass and temperture lights don't work and radio stays on.
What could it be?

Old 08-14-2014, 05:58 PM
jimboe22
New User
my 2000 psd is doing this on all 4 doors so I am going 2 try this solution. will post my results later thanks n advance..

Old 08-17-2014, 08:28 AM
oldfultimer
New User
Was quite skeptical of this procedure but after reading about all who did this fix decided to give it a try on driver's side door first.

Only change made was that I left the steel rivets on actuator in place, drilled off the plastic rivet tops and reassembled after repairing motor using two heavy duty cable ties instead of screws/bolts and this worked perfectly.

Cable ties were placed around actuator so as to not interfere with mechanism when actuator was reinstalled.

First door took about three hours, last of four doors took a half hour to do. Not as young and nimble as I used to be.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:49 PM
savagefan
Senior User
Thanx for the info and inspiration. I'm sure this vid has been posted before, it is good though.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Will104
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What a score, this fix worked perfect, a+ to my fte brothers

Old 11-28-2014, 01:59 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You can just put drops of Gorilla glue where the rivets are or drill them out and use re-bar tie wire. Also you can just cram tin foil in where the thermister wafer was........did all five 3 years ago.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:27 PM
IslandBlueV10
Senior User
Okay finally broke down and tried this for the second time. Last year I thought I would do this. On my first attempt I tried to get the whole thing out through the inside of the door but could not get the door cable to come off and my hands were getting all cut up. I got frustrated and decided to put it back together. Before it was just my passenger door so I lived with it. Then drivers door started to quit.

This time I went back through this page and then watched a youtube video that shows taking the door handle all the way out and to bring the actuator out that way. This was so much easier this time. I did leave the two metal rivets and just pried open the case far enough to fish out the motor. Then just used one zip tie at the end by the motor.

Like everyone else I have been going outside to just unlock and lock my truck. Now I need to figure out how to pull the one apart on my Focus. Smaller door means tighter space. I might just leave that one.

A huge THANKS to KALSC, and to everyone else who posted their experiences.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:11 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
Glad you got it worked out!

Old 04-19-2015, 02:39 PM
ExpyGuy2000
New User
Just curious if anyone has done this mod on a 2000 expedition. I pulled the door panel off today to look around, and my setup looks different than what I've seen in the pics here in earlier threads. I BELIEVE the actuator on mine is separate, and farther down in the door. Can anyone verify this is the correct location, and if the mod can still be done it would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Power Door Locks FIXED!!!!