Montana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Sailor_Roy

Introductions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 09:55 PM
MontanaFord
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim,

First...glad you appreciate a good work truck...yes, it's a beater, but in the year and a half I've had it, including buying it, I've only put about 600 bucks TOPS, into it...I'm considering slapping a straight axle front end under it out of a 78/79 ford 4x4 so that I have a little more durability...

And yes, I work for Mild Fence, Co. Not a bad outfit, this's my second year with them. It pays the bills, and a little extra for my truck, and that's about it. If I could ever get ahead, I'd like to go do some travelling at some point in the off season, but even in the off season, I hafta work to keep my bills paid...hopin' for next winter to be an unemp. winter, with a little bit of savings if I manage to scrape any up ahead of time.

Second, yes, I took bowhunter ed...It was a while back...Feb. of 1998, actually. I shoot a Bear Grizzly recurve, rated at 55# @ 28" draw. I pull it to about 29 1/2, so I gain about 3 pounds of draw weight. It's a good bow. It's actually my uncle's bow, but he said I could shoot it as much as I want, whenever I want.

I know where Stillwater Lutheran is. The pastor for my church lives in the "subdivision" in back of your church. It's a pity to see so much farmland going to waste on houses.

Catch ya later.

Michael

Old 04-14-2004, 12:18 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Bow Ed in '98 - that was when it was still held in the high school, right? I started teaching in 96, but at that time there were 3 or 4 classes held at the same time. Now there's one class each month in the Kalispell area from March until July. Classes are held at the Trap Club out on Spring Prairie - much better facility for class and field course is held right there.

I still hunt with a 55# Pearson Spoiler (recurve) that I bought new in 1971. Also I use a Bear Whitetale II (their first cam bow) for elk and it's set at 62#

I bump into your pastor every once in awhile - he's a great guy - tell him I said hi next time you see him. Yeah, it kills me to see all the farm land disappearing. This valley is changing so fast it's hard to believe.

Hope your week is a good one.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:09 PM
MontanaFord
Elder User
Tim...

Yeah, I took bowhunter ed at the high school, and the field course up at Lone Pine. That's awesome that you shoot a recurve. It makes you think so much more about your shot options, especially at longer ranges. I coulda taken a shot at a decent buck up on Patrick Creek last bow season, but with him already having me pinned, and only offering a chest shot thru some sticks, I declined the shot for another day. I know where he's at for this fall, though, if he's still up there. Actually seen a few bucks up there last fall. Some nice elk rubs, too. Wanna go back up and do more scouting, to see where the elk are hiding. Do you do any of the bow shoots around the valley? I know the Lone Pine shoot is coming up in a couple weeks, and right after that is the traditional shoot out at Fawn Creek. My uncle wants me to go to that with him. I most likely will be there. Then there's a shoot down at Clearwater Junction the weekend of June 18th (my b-day), so I'll probably haul down there, too, and shoot that one, as well. Blacktail I guess is 4th of July weekend, and I'll do that one, too, most likely. I want to get in as much shooting as I can this summer, so I'm better set for season next year. I kinda went into last year about half ready, so I want to set up better this year.

Pastor Glatts is a really good guy. Probably one of the better people I know, and not just because he's a preacher. I enjoy being able to just talk to him about anything that's on my mind. And sometimes that's a lot.

We worked in Bigfork today, right down there in back of Tuscany's, across from the power dam, and I tell ya what. I don't care if I never hafta dig another post hole down there again in my life. Basically just digging in a gravel bar right there. Terrible digging for setting posts. We'll see what tomorrow brings for setting the posts (if I'm so unlucky to end up back out there tomorrow).

Have a good'un.

Michael

Old 04-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No need to ever be ashamed of the truck yer driving. I think most of us started out with some mighty rough ole clunkers and did what we could to keep em going.

My first truck was my 55 Ford Panel... my dad left it to me when he died. I spent a lotta years working on it, working at minimum wage jobs, to get it fixed up and into a head turner. I never made it all the way to a totally finished project though. Someone decided to "borrow" it, took it out and ran the living daylights out of it, then dropped her on her belly and stripped it and trashed it. I think theres a photo of her in my hidden albums. When we get the groups feature going, I will post pics of all my old beasties and y'all can do likewise. I don't know as yet if theres going to be a limit to the amount of pictures per album, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

If you would like a picture of your vehicle to post on here, let me know, and I will gladly take a pic and put it on floppy so you can post it here.

Old 04-17-2004, 01:01 AM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yeah, its hard to get much crappier than my Daily driver...

Old 04-20-2004, 01:26 AM
MontanaFord
Elder User
i needa git a chisel to cut the radius arm bracket rivets loose so i can replace them with grade 8 bolts...my driver side bracket is loose (not good, lemme tell ya), so i'm just waitin for the front end to come loose and take me for the ride of a lifetime...prob. do that before too terrible long...

Michael.

Old 05-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Skylaneman
Cross-Country
Hello there. My name is Scott and I live in Billings. I'm 39 and work as an air traffic controller in the tower at the airport. I have always been a Ford guy, currently have a 2000 F250 CC V10. I am a pilot also and own a single engine Cessna that I like to take off road also, anybody can land on pavement. We use the F250 to pull our fifth wheel camper to many campgrounds around the state.

Old 05-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Welcome Scott! Good to see more people finding our little forum... Fordlover1951 is our Chapter President. It hink you have to have a few more posts before you can join the Chapter.

Old 05-13-2004, 05:54 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Smile

Originally Posted by Mattsbox99
Welcome Scott! Good to see more people finding our little forum... Fordlover1951 is our Chapter President. It hink you have to have a few more posts before you can join the Chapter.
By golly, I think the rules say you have to have at least 5 whopping posts to join a chapter. I think you can make it real soon and then I'd be proud as all heck to approve your membership in the "Drifters". Welcome to FTE. Look around and post in as many places as you find an interest. We are all a pretty fair bunch of guys n ladies here.

Old 05-28-2004, 03:37 PM
mavinwy
Senior User
Well, I threw a request to join in. But I will let y'all know a little about me.

My name is Jim, I live in Cheyenne Wyoming. I have a 1993 f-150 2wd with the I-6. I also have another Ford (Taurus), A Dodge , a Chevy an AMC and a couple of motorcycles. Also a mini stock that I work on for the wife. I am more into American cars as a whole than the whole anti-any vehicle thing. (OK so I am an auto junkie )

In addition to my wife of 12 years, I have a 7 year old son. I work as a Network Administrator.

I have found the FTE forums to be excellent, and usually respectful to others. That is the kind I enjoy being a part of.

Jim

Old 05-28-2004, 04:20 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Well guys, I'm not sure where I belong now. I have found myself unemployed again for the second time in two years. The job opportunities are just not good right now in Montana and I will be relocating to Omaha, NE. I don't see a Nebraska chapter, so maybe I can still be a step-child of the High Plains Drifters?

I will keep checking in from time to time. I had to sell my 76 supercab due to the logistics of moving. I will miss it greatly, but plan to find a replacement as soon as I am settled again.

Rob

Old 05-28-2004, 04:58 PM
mavinwy
Senior User
Actually, I thought it was kind of odd that Wyoming and Iowa were part of this group, but not Nebraska. There is no good way to get to Iowa from here without seeing the one curve on i-80 in NE (the curvature of the earth)

Man that drive is boring. And as the wife's family is in Iowa, I see it far too often.

Jim

Old 05-28-2004, 07:15 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Welcome Jim. Good to see some more Wyoming guys.

Old 05-28-2004, 07:37 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

We'll take Nebraska too, if they don't have a place to go. Each state is eventually going to have it's own representative / coordinator, because we cover too large an area to expect each state member to attend meets in distant states. So, each state will have to arrange it's own meets and work them out in this forum. But that's another thread entirely.

Welcome aboard!

Old 06-03-2004, 11:22 AM
gypsyrose31299
Senior User
My introduction...

I'm never sure how much info to divulge so I guess I'll just start with the basics.

My name is Sabrina. I hail from Billings, MT. I did spend a few years in the Casper/Glenrock area of Wyoming, but am mostly a Montanan. The end of July I will reach the ripe old age of 20. Not that I'm really a party girl anyway, but luckily I married a man 7 years older than me so he can buy me pina colada/daiquiri fixin's.

I work for a transportation broker in the Heights...have been here for about a year and a half. I do mostly invoicing, etc. but help some in dispatch. I really love my job though and the guys I work with are the best!

Other than my darling husband our little family includes two of the worldest best pooches. Gypsy (who I based my screen name on) is an older crabby yellow lab/husky mix (yeah, crabby at 5 1/2 years!). Then the pup is Bandit. He's a black lab/ shepherd mix. And at just over a year he's still full of energy and trouble. WHen he's not trying to pull the trim off the garage, or eat the hoses he's generally being good.

I've been hanging around FTE for awhile now (well I think I joined just after I bought my Ford p/u and was looking for some help. As much trouble as this truck has been (lets see...1 month after I bought the thing we had to rebuild the engine, we've changed the idler pully, heater core, throttle position sensor, coil, electronic ignition module, the actuator, 2 lock and tumblers (or was it 3?), ignition switch, brake pads (yeah thats basic maintenance but the calipers, drums, etc that went when the backing to the brake pad came loose and took out the pin in the caliper weren't!), rear pinion seal, hmmm, I just KNOW there's been more. But the GOOD way to look at it, is that that stuff SHOULDN'T take a dump anytime soon then, right?

WEll, I guess thats more than the basics, but if I forgot anything just holler!

See Ya Around
~Sabrina

P.S. What is required of me as a member of this Chapter?

Quick Reply: Introductions.