Received 1,217 Likes on 992 Posts
Thumbs up

Can you hear me now?

Old 08-05-2020, 12:39 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Wait, what?? Breaks "again"? Don't scare me like Travis LOL .... What issue have you had with it? Mine has been through some serious towing abuse and I have been pretty happy with it. I do recall very well riding in your buddy's BTS truck and I do have to agree...it just "might" change my mind if I were really pushed. That was the best auto shifting I have ever experienced in a truck.
I broke 1st gear and bent the shift rail for 1-2 in my ZF6 when I shifted it from L-1st while towing a couple years ago. After the $2600 repair bill I wished I had put that towards a BTS swap. I was pulling out into traffic so I made the shift into 1st pretty fast, dumped the clutch, and stabbed it in the race tune at around 17k gross. The trans still ran, but I had to shift from Low range to 2nd the rest of the trip and since the shift rail was bent it was pretty difficult to get it into 2nd. Once I got into 3rd it was smooth sailing again, but taking off from stop lights was... Umm.. Smokey... Lol

Also, Cody broke the input shaft in his ZF5 years ago pulling his gooseneck and trying to race a friend of ours in his Dodge. Made the shift to overdrive and it turned into a case full of neutrals.

Old 08-16-2020, 01:55 PM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Received 197 Likes on 130 Posts
Made a little progress.... Dropped the front tank, wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I used a siphon to get all but 1/2 gallon out, I think that helped a lot. Working on the vent tank mod so I don't have to spend forever at the pump. Holding the nozzle half way out and maybe getting the first click is getting really old.

Old 08-16-2020, 02:01 PM
Khan
Laughing Gas

Step 1. Remove the 3 7mm bolts holding the fill tube.

Step 2. Pull the 2 hose clamps holding the tube to the body, and to the fuel tank hose.

Step 3. Pull the electrical connector to the sending unit

Step 4. Use a 5/16's and 3/8's quick disconnect tool to pull the fuel lines. I ended up cutting the hard line off at the body as I am converting to AN fittings and not reusing the original lines. This should make dropping the tank easier.

Step 5. Remove the strap bolts using a 15mm and 13mm wrench.

Pretty gross in here. Its going to get a degrease treatment. I'm still washing away rocks and dirt from California.

Old 08-16-2020, 02:16 PM
Khan
Laughing Gas

Got the fuel tank hose cleaned up. Looks almost brand new!

Pick up foot broken, didnt see that one coming....

XRP compression fittings mocked up. Thinking about trying to fit the vent up here next to the rollover valve.

Finally got that little ******* out of the fill tube. Wasnt very fun, but wasnt terrible either.

Here you can see the difference between the metal fill tube and the rubber one inside of it.

Old 08-16-2020, 02:18 PM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Vent installed, waiting for the JB weld to cure...

Old 08-16-2020, 07:33 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 398 Likes on 303 Posts
Looks like a good weekend project. I don't have any issue filling at the pump, but my truck has custom tanks. I may have to look at some of your ideas for fittings and hoses. I'm sure my tanks are gross inside too.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:38 PM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Edgethis
Looks like a good weekend project. I don't have any issue filling at the pump, but my truck has custom tanks. I may have to look at some of your ideas for fittings and hoses. I'm sure my tanks are gross inside too.
Your truck also is a sweet extended crew cab with a H2E and other goodies!

I'll post up all the fittings and stuff when I'm done if you're interested.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:41 PM
MJ79
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good work with the fuel system work. Are you doing a 38 gallon rear tank? I would like to, but seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:06 PM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by MJ79
Good work with the fuel system work. Are you doing a 38 gallon rear tank? I would like to, but seems to be out of stock everywhere.
That's the plan. Rock auto has my email address for when they get back in stock (F26D/E) I'm doing the front tank in the mean time. I have all the spare tire stuff ready to go back in whenever I get around to the rear tank 38gal stuff.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:13 PM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Got some progress done tonight, extended out the supply and return. Decided to extend the return out 12" to direct the hot returning fuel away from the pick up. Not sure if it's going to make a huge difference but it certainly can't hurt.

The supply was trial and error since the pick up fell apart and disintegrated. Got a rough estimate and cut off 1/8 at a time until it fit, and then cut off a 1/16th or so. This puts the tube approximately 1/8th off the bottom and should be fine. If not I'll drop the tank again and do it over.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:24 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 398 Likes on 303 Posts
Sweet! That looks nice. Id be careful your float doesn't get too close to the return and cause a false reading. Might just look close due to how its laying though.

Old 08-18-2020, 06:32 AM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Edgethis
Sweet! That looks nice. Id be careful your float doesn't get too close to the return and cause a false reading. Might just look close due to how its laying though.
You're exactly right. It's got roughly 3/4" clearance between the return and the swing path. Those pics didn't do it justice thats for sure.

Going to order a new float, lock ring and o ring today. All that's left now is to drill a spot for the tank vent, jb weld that in, clean and paint and put everything back together.

The rear tank will be a lot of fun though, can't wait to have 57 gallons on board.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:47 AM
kmjone00
Mountain Pass
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Jake, can you share the part numbers for the float, lock right and o-ring? I recall that you need to replace the o-ring if you have this stuff out or else risk leaks from the fuel splashing and hitting the top of the pickup assembly.

So you are just extending the pickup and not replacing the shower head screen, correct? How were the insides of the tank? Clean or any delamination or areas of concern? Curious how this turns out. I have read where some folks added the vent but still had fill-up issues. Hope it works well for you.

Thanks.

Old 08-18-2020, 01:15 PM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by kmjone00
Jake, can you share the part numbers for the float, lock right and o-ring? I recall that you need to replace the o-ring if you have this stuff out or else risk leaks from the fuel splashing and hitting the top of the pickup assembly.

So you are just extending the pickup and not replacing the shower head screen, correct? How were the insides of the tank? Clean or any delamination or areas of concern? Curious how this turns out. I have read where some folks added the vent but still had fill-up issues. Hope it works well for you.

Thanks.
Sure thing, Below is what I ordered from Bronco Graveyard. I "splurged" and ordered the composite float. My float still works, but for 12 bucks, and a supposed upgrade I'll give it a shot and see what happens. JBG stocks the brass ones for $5 each as well if anyone wanted to go that route.

1986-1997 Ford Bronco and F-Series TruckSending Unit Lock Ring, 3 5/8

1986-1997 Ford Bronco and F-Series TruckSending Unit Seal 3 5/8 inch

1966-1996 Ford Bronco Composite Sending Unit Float

The pick up is not going back in, I figured between the fact there aren't big chunks in the tank and the 2 micron pre filter I have on my E fuel, I'm not worried about it. I'd rather not have to drop the tank again for something that will end up failing in 10 or so years. Tank looks pretty good on the inside, just needs a good cleaning.

I hope the vent works out well. Time will tell though.

Quick Reply: Khan's 95 Build thread