1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Khan's 95 Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 08:30 PM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Received 197 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
Sure thing....John Wood trans...went through THREE of them towing 10,500# ....everything from slipping, OH problems, and just **** poor performance. I am just of the opinion that manuals just do better under duress. One time was trip on my way to Texas form California. Had to pull off in New Mexico, drop my trailer, and drive it back to CA to get a replacement under warranty slipping the whole way. It's prolly just me, but I'd never own an auto to tow with again. That blinking OD light have me PTSD .....LOL
I would say that is more than enough to warrant your decision to stay away from autos. I'd be in the same boat if that happened to me. That also jives with some of the feedback I've gotten of their work.

What makes a BTS stand out from the rest? I can't find much on their website. Dieselsite and Sam Wyse at least has a laundry list on their site to try and set them aside from the competition.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:34 PM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Hit Man X
I wonder who on this forum has successfully reman a ZF S5-47...in their living room?

If you have a stock converter, that is hurting your running temps and I am sure laying out the power. When I had my 6.4, the PI triple disc made a HUGE difference in performance. Towing and flat out accelerating.
I have the stock junnnnnk. One step at a time

Old 07-30-2020, 10:19 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts
OK, I can't stay out of this any longer. Byron had horrible luck, I'm on my five year on a John Woods with great luck. If anybody can blow up a trans its me at ten thousand miles a year! I blew up two stock E40D's before I got a John Woods. I'm on my 5th year now pulling way more weight then these trucks were designed to pull. In fact if ever in a accident I would be worried about being sued. Also John taught Brian all he knew only to be stabbed in the back with him leaving with the knowledge to start his own business. Maybe that's BS but its what John told me. Also, what's the big deal about the OT light? You hit a hill under full steam at 1250° EGT's and when your down to 55-60 hit the button and let her go watching EGT's. If its a really, really tough hill at about 45 pull it down into 2nd but this rarely ever happens anymore with my mods.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:21 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
OK, I can't stay out of this any longer. Byron had horrible luck, I'm on my five year on a John Woods with great luck. If anybody can blow up a trans its me at ten thousand miles a year! I blew up two stock E40D's before I got a John Woods. I'm on my 5th year now pulling way more weight then these trucks were designed to pull. In fact if ever in a accident I would be worried about being sued. Also John taught Brian all he knew only to be stabbed in the back with him leaving with the knowledge to start his own business. Maybe that's BS but its what John told me. Also, what's the big deal about the OT light? You hit a hill under full steam at 1250° EGT's and when your down to 55-60 hit the button and let her go watching EGT's. If its a really, really tough hill at about 45 pull it down into 2nd but this rarely ever happens anymore with my mods.
Glenn, you were the one who told me John wouldn't ever call you back and his service sucked. I didn't have "horrible luck". I'd say three transmissions is a far cry from "bad luck" as you call it. I don't know what he had going on when I went to him. I dealt with an A-HOLE, plain and simple. Was Brian supposed to stay at his beck and call forever because he learned from him? That's not how things work.

If you're happy, good on ya. I stand by what I said. I will say that there are a lot more success stories I have listened to with Brian over John. To each his own.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:36 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts
OK Byron, I'll explain the never calling me back but his service never sucked. He had a dyno there and I wanted on it BAD! He said anybody who buys a trans from him could get on it. That to me was his downfall. His service to me was top notched. Maybe you were not diplomatic enough with him? I wasn't asking you to change anything you said, of course you stand by it! I just told my story and I stand by it, lol.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:48 AM
Khan
Laughing Gas
I did realize E4OD's were such a hot topic! I get that businesses can have bad days, but all it takes it one bad experience to never go back. That's why I no longer condone 1023 in any way shape or form, and will not do business there in the future. That's not to say others won't have a great experience with them or another company.

I've heard good about the John Woods stuff, but I've heard some bad things about John's customer service for returning owners. Not speaking from experience though.

I've heard great things about BTS, but also that Brian is constantly busy, and it may be hard to get a trans from him, or warranty work. Someone on another forum had their BTS bite the dust at 140k and while Brian would have fixed it, it was a 3 month wait to get it done because he's a busy guy.

I've heard good things about the Dieselsite E4ODs, not too much on the Sam Wyse other than they're a quality build.

Old 07-31-2020, 04:25 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
There's a guy on another forum that has used that transmission from dieselsite and he's had pretty good luck with it towing heavy. There is nothing wrong with the stock Ford transmission when it's built right. I just don't prefer automatics and, like I said, it's personal preference.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:27 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,193 Likes on 819 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
There's a guy on another forum that has used that transmission from dieselsite and he's had pretty good luck with it towing heavy. There is nothing wrong with the stock Ford transmission when it's built right. I just don't prefer automatics and, like I said, it's personal preference.
Alright Byron we know you like holding the pole while driving just messing with you brother. I'm an auto in a truck guy after years driving stick in all my previous rides I came to like autos in trucks and manual in my cars, I cant stand an auto trans in any car, its just boring driving them, in trucks driving in the city with trailers and backing up in job sites you will come to hate them really quick.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:33 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
As for transmissions you can have a local guy build it to your specs. I personally have had great luck with reman trans from Autozone in the fleet, they have held to the abuse the guys throw at them, i have one in my truck stock programming no chip it shift smooth but with my tunes it shifts like dog shet due to the program that has no tune for a modified valve body.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:11 PM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Alright Byron we know you like holding the pole while driving
Bryon and I like shafts what's it to ya?

Old 07-31-2020, 11:20 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
[QUOTE=Khan;19409974]
Alright Byron we know you like holding the pole while driving /QUOTE]

Bryon and I like shafts what's it to ya?
Hey there now I like shafts too, just smaller ones

Old 07-31-2020, 11:59 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
[QUOTE=Khan;19409974]
Alright Byron we know you like holding the pole while driving /QUOTE]

Byron and I like shafts what's it to ya?

Fixed it for ya....and Adam knows I'm a shaft kinda dude

Old 08-01-2020, 01:17 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Since we're sharing built trans stories, I'll share mine. Lol. Brian at BTS gets my vote everytime, but I know that Sam Wyse knows his stuff and I know several guys abusing his transmissions. I've always run a manual in my daily/tow pigs, but my BTS and a friend of mines BTS has changed my mind. If/when my ZF6 breaks again I'll be switching to a BTS if funds allow. The one thing I'll always give the manuals, they will take the power and not cost us a fortune to do it.

The BTS in my truck was built somewhere around 2009-2010. I am the 3rd owner. It was originally built for a triple turbo sled pulling truck. After that it went into a 550hp daily driver for roughly 80k miles. Now it has been in my truck for 4 years behind 600+HP (trap speed calculates ~680hp). I've put about 170 track passes on it as well as quite a few street miles too. It has not been rebuilt yet.

A friend of mines has been through 2 trucks. Originally built in 2007 or 2008 for a friend of mines tow pig around 500hp. It was daily driven for maybe 150k miles in that truck then found it's way into another truck that I helped build with a 600hp 12v Cummins in it. That trans is still on a cryo'd stock shafts and it keeps ticking. It's been behind the Cummins for probably 6 years now. This one has also not been rebuilt yet.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:08 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Since we're sharing built trans stories, I'll share mine. Lol. Brian at BTS gets my vote everytime, but I know that Sam Wyse knows his stuff and I know several guys abusing his transmissions. I've always run a manual in my daily/tow pigs, but my BTS and a friend of mines BTS has changed my mind. If/when my ZF6 breaks again I'll be switching to a BTS if funds allow. The one thing I'll always give the manuals, they will take the power and not cost us a fortune to do it.

The BTS in my truck was built somewhere around 2009-2010. I am the 3rd owner. It was originally built for a triple turbo sled pulling truck. After that it went into a 550hp daily driver for roughly 80k miles. Now it has been in my truck for 4 years behind 600+HP (trap speed calculates ~680hp). I've put about 170 track passes on it as well as quite a few street miles too. It has not been rebuilt yet.

A friend of mines has been through 2 trucks. Originally built in 2007 or 2008 for a friend of mines tow pig around 500hp. It was daily driven for maybe 150k miles in that truck then found it's way into another truck that I helped build with a 600hp 12v Cummins in it. That trans is still on a cryo'd stock shafts and it keeps ticking. It's been behind the Cummins for probably 6 years now. This one has also not been rebuilt yet.
Wait, what?? Breaks "again"? Don't scare me like Travis LOL .... What issue have you had with it? Mine has been through some serious towing abuse and I have been pretty happy with it. I do recall very well riding in your buddy's BTS truck and I do have to agree...it just "might" change my mind if I were really pushed. That was the best auto shifting I have ever experienced in a truck.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:42 AM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Found this gem cleaning out my truck under the front seat. Bet it'd turn on if it had a good battery. Any one want to take bets on how long it's been in there?

Quick Reply: Khan's 95 Build thread