1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Khan's 95 Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 02:13 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,209 Likes on 986 Posts
Thumbs up

It is whatever Diamond Eye SS kit with muffler is numbered, I will find the receipt. The tailpipe hanger needed work, I had to reweld it. I remember that. Used to be into noise, I am too damned old for that now. Only handy pic, text me and I will roll under there and snap a few for you. We are outside drinking and working on the Taco.

Old 07-04-2020, 10:22 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 385 Likes on 275 Posts
Fancy diff cover

Old 07-05-2020, 10:26 AM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Received 197 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by 97-psd
Fancy diff cover
Those Mag's are nice!

Awhile back Banks put out a video showing how "ineffective" they are. The video itself is interesting to watch, but I'm not convinced that the mag's are bad. If the pinion bearings weren't getting proper lube, we'd see failures popping up everywhere for the thousands of them that are circulating in the heavy towing world.

Banks is marketing with their own that's "supposedly" better, but at a $400 price tag, I'll stick to the 50 dollar SD upgrade. I'd love a mag hytec though, but the finned cover is more than enough for my usage.

https://www.bankspower.com/i-2932-di...ring-gear.html

Banks Differential Cover

-Jake

Old 07-05-2020, 06:07 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

I picked it up for cheap, used. I had one on my dead 6.4 for 100k roughly, whenever I installed the Truetrac and chucked that junk Tracloc in the recycle tub. The 6.4 met its demise with a jagoff without insurance, without license to drive, etc. No issues with the rear axle on it.

Funny story, the diff cover off my 09 went to a pal with a 96 CCLB dually five speed...E4 red, but grey interior with a ZF too. He tried to give me the truck, but it was in GA and I am in TX. It would start and idle fine, but no power to move once going. Probably needed an HPOP and other BS. 10 years later nearly and I have almost the same truck. HA Irony at its finest.

Mag cover makes it great to service the diff. My fluid was SO gross in El Rojo, I knew one service would not clean all the crap out. So I kept trolling all over to find a used one, did and put it on. R&R'd the fluid again. STILL dirty, now it is finally clean. Last I checked it was when I had the bed and goose ball off to do a DIY bedliner...which still looks fine. Not as strong as a Rhino or LineX, but for a few C-notes it was well worth it.

HIJACK COMPLETE.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:27 PM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Hit Man X
I picked it up for cheap, used. I had one on my dead 6.4 for 100k roughly, whenever I installed the Truetrac and chucked that junk Tracloc in the recycle tub. The 6.4 met its demise with a jagoff without insurance, without license to drive, etc. No issues with the rear axle on it.

Funny story, the diff cover off my 09 went to a pal with a 96 CCLB dually five speed...E4 red, but grey interior with a ZF too. He tried to give me the truck, but it was in GA and I am in TX. It would start and idle fine, but no power to move once going. Probably needed an HPOP and other BS. 10 years later nearly and I have almost the same truck. HA Irony at its finest.

Mag cover makes it great to service the diff. My fluid was SO gross in El Rojo, I knew one service would not clean all the crap out. So I kept trolling all over to find a used one, did and put it on. R&R'd the fluid again. STILL dirty, now it is finally clean. Last I checked it was when I had the bed and goose ball off to do a DIY bedliner...which still looks fine. Not as strong as a Rhino or LineX, but for a few C-notes it was well worth it.

HIJACK COMPLETE.
HIJACK ACCEPTED!

I feel you on the drain plug, that's why I drilled and tapped the Sterling 10.5 in my garage for a 1/4 NPT plug. Someday I'll get around to finishing that and installing it... Though the high fill port on the Hytec is pretty sweet. I need to pull the rear diff on my 10.25 again for the same reason, it's dirty. The original fluid was burnt red, and when I pulled my axles to paint them awhile back I noticed it's about the same color in there now.

While I'm in the planning stage for doing my tanks, I pulled the spare tire and cross bar out of the garage and cleaned them up. For the original spare that was literally tan from all the dirt before, it looks pretty good. When I pulled it the back side was flush with dirt.

Typical sand and paint stuff, trying to use up the rest of the Krylon in my garage. Not that it's bad, but I prefer Rustoleum any day of the week.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:10 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

Jealous you still had a spare and brackets. Dually had it removed for a sweet rollpan and a cute Class III hitch. Finding an early bolt pattern DRW wheel was beyond hard for a reasonable cost...found one for $50 cash luckily. The rest of the setup took forever. I had it locked to the bent gooseneck tailgate for over one year!

That tire is a prime candidate for a burnout.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:18 AM
Khan
Laughing Gas
Jealous you still had a spare and brackets. Dually had it removed for a sweet rollpan and a cute Class III hitch. Finding an early bolt pattern DRW wheel was beyond hard for a reasonable cost...found one for $50 cash luckily. The rest of the setup took forever. I had it locked to the bent gooseneck tailgate for over one year!

That tire is a prime candidate for a burnout.
It'll get the ol' one tire fire whenever I decide to pull the trigger on new wheels and tires. Though I'm debating trying to find another alcoa for a spare and skip the new wheels altogether, because they just look so darn good on these trucks.

I need to get rid of the hack job "hitch" I have currently. It's a Reunel bumper that the PO had welded to the frame. The bumpers look ok on their website, but I would rather have a true Class V hitch and the factory bumper. I think what scares me the most is the hitch is only attached to the bumper with 2 giant grade 5 bolts.

https://reunel.com/service/ford/#fordrb

The Curt 15300 looks tempting for the price.... though I've also heard of bent frames due to the short mounting distance. Not sure if that's actually an issue, or folks overloading their stuff and blaming it on the hitch.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:56 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Save your money....run the Alcoas. They are the best looking wheel out there.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:21 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
I have one of those big Curt *******s. Seems fine, doubt I would bumper pull 15k or whatever it is rating is listed at by Curt. My goose is an old Atwood probably from 1996.

Do not get me started on Alcoas. DRW ones are so hard to find. SRW are easy in my area!

Old 07-11-2020, 05:29 PM
Khan
Laughing Gas
I have one of those big Curt *******s. Seems fine, doubt I would bumper pull 15k or whatever it is rating is listed at by Curt. My goose is an old Atwood probably from 1996.

Do not get me started on Alcoas. DRW ones are so hard to find. SRW are easy in my area!
I'd love to pick up a used set and pick the best 5 so I can have a matching spare. I have a 2" gouge in one of them, along with multiple scratches. At least they look good from 20ft away .

Mine goose looks identical to yours from your thread IIRC. It's bolted to the frame with 1/2" angle iron and plate to hold it up. Not a fan of that, but I suppose it works. I don't see this truck ever pulling more than 10k so I'll most likely remove the goose and patch the bed.... it's on the list. OR talk me into keeping it.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:08 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Khan
I'd love to pick up a used set and pick the best 5 so I can have a matching spare. I have a 2" gouge in one of them, along with multiple scratches. At least they look good from 20ft away .

Mine goose looks identical to yours from your thread IIRC. It's bolted to the frame with 1/2" angle iron and plate to hold it up. Not a fan of that, but I suppose it works. I don't see this truck ever pulling more than 10k so I'll most likely remove the goose and patch the bed.... it's on the list. OR talk me into keeping it.

It's an old school GN hitch from back in the day. I wouldn't get rid of it. It's one of those things you'll want at some point. Move a trailer for a buddy? Pick up a load? Borrow a trailer to get another vehicle, etc....

Old 07-11-2020, 09:18 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Thumbs up

I will swing past that llanta usada shop next time on way to junkyard and see what they want for the wheels. Also, I replaced the fasteners with some SS I recall and heavier duty...chances of me using it are near zero, but I wanted it to work if needed or ever had to fire sale stuff. Same reason I fixed the seven pin in the bed.

Besides, you can always tell women you have a giant **** in the bed of the truck.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:36 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,193 Likes on 819 Posts
You definitely don't want to get rid of the goose ball, I glad I didn't removed the one in my truck when I bought it. I've used it a couple of times moving an old goose hitch 32' RV, and I'm sure it will be used again in the future.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:30 AM
Khan
Laughing Gas
I will swing past that llanta usada shop next time on way to junkyard and see what they want for the wheels. Also, I replaced the fasteners with some SS I recall and heavier duty...chances of me using it are near zero, but I wanted it to work if needed or ever had to fire sale stuff. Same reason I fixed the seven pin in the bed.

Besides, you can always tell women you have a giant **** in the bed of the truck.
Originally Posted by BBslider001
It's an old school GN hitch from back in the day. I wouldn't get rid of it. It's one of those things you'll want at some point. Move a trailer for a buddy? Pick up a load? Borrow a trailer to get another vehicle, etc....
Originally Posted by z31freakify
You definitely don't want to get rid of the goose ball, I glad I didn't removed the one in my truck when I bought it. I've used it a couple of times moving an old goose hitch 32' RV, and I'm sure it will be used again in the future.
All valid points so it will stay put. I am going to pull it today and work on getting it cleaned up, as the bottom plate is rusting and I wouldn't mind going through it and greasing/ painting it to make it look/ function better.

Anyone have pics readily available of the wiring in the bed? The PO had some hack wiring attached to the driver side battery and poked 2 holes in the driver side bed wheel well to route the cables. No sign of a 7 pin or anything related though.

Time to make some impact noise.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:21 AM
Khan
Laughing Gas

From what I can tell it looks like I was way off. The angle iron and flat plate are about 3/16 not 1/2.

is that strong enough? I don't know too much about goosenecks.

The whole plate spans the area under the bed, from the two channels. More pics to come.
Penetrating oil is awesome.

Quick Reply: Khan's 95 Build thread