1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 F150 One Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 12:39 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 238 Likes on 191 Posts
Amazing how a very light color camouflages all the bruises.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:35 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Popped up a bunch of the sunken down ribs with a 2x4 and floor jack. This works okay like I'm doing but would work even better with my 240# dad sitting on a chair inside the bed.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:04 PM
JJF20
Hotshot

Received 1,971 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Nice build. I’m going to follow along on this one. I was just getting ready to start my ‘96 when all of this crazy stuff happened. So I put it it on hold for right now, or at least slowed down to a crawl for today. I’ll enjoy living vicariously through your project! it’s funny, but the old adage is true. When I have the time, I don’t have the money. When I have the money, I don’t have the time!

I also see where you were asking about LMC items. I do not disagree with what has been said here. I’ve used them before on a few projects. some of it was good, some not so. I did an 87 GMC about 8years a go, and used quite a bit of LMC on that one. I changed the paint color and interior color. I used a lot of LMC for the interior. Floor covering, and dash cover. It was fine, as far as I was concerned. And the interior paint was good, I paint pretty much all of the trim and door panels with it. It wasn’t a show truck, and wasn’t meant to be, but it looked good at the end of the day.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:18 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,907 Posts
I didn't need to deal with the floor ribs as mine had a thick bed liner on it but the flare side wheel humps, side panels & tail gate all needed a little hammer & dolly work.
Doing a great job keep it up.
Dave ----

Old 03-29-2020, 09:33 AM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by JJF20
all of this crazy stuff happened
I also see where you were asking about LMC items. I do not disagree with what has been said here. I’ve used them before on a few projects. some of it was good, some not so. I did an 87 GMC about 8years a go, and used quite a bit of LMC on that one. I changed the paint color and interior color. I used a lot of LMC for the interior. Floor covering, and dash cover. It was fine, as far as I was concerned. And the interior paint was good, I paint pretty much all of the trim and door panels with it. It wasn’t a show truck, and wasn’t meant to be, but it looked good at the end of the day.
I'm happy to have a stay at home project during these times. Sourcing parts may be a little iffy as I have already discovered. The Fairchild KF1006 door kit I ordered from an Ebay vendor was delayed indefinitely so he asked that I just cancel the order and take a refund. I did Friday but reordered the same kit from Carid today. These kits come out of California I believe. Today's order was flagged with a three to five business day delay. We'll see. At some point I need to address flooring. My truck came with the rubber matting. I think I would prefer carpet this time. Hate ordering things that have the likely possibility of being the wrong color/shade. All my plastic interior panels can be reused but need refinishing.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:51 AM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
I didn't need to deal with the floor ribs as mine had a thick bed liner on it but the flare side wheel humps, side panels & tail gate all needed a little hammer & dolly work.
Doing a great job keep it up.
Dave ----
I was on the fence about doing the work required to "hammer out" the bed dents. I was going to have dad help but now he is banned from coming over. His senior living community has imposed a ban on leaving the compound since the entire community still dines together but with CDC "social distancing" being practiced. So, I chose to leave it dinged up. Repeat the mantra, "not a show truck".

Warm and windy today so I'll probably wet sand outside. Go over the doors and fenders again, this time with the 600. Maybe get to the hood which has not been blocked at all yet. Save the tailgate, cab and bed sides for last as they were primed last. Bill, the paint guy, said my plan to jamb everything first was a good idea. He added that I should jamb then reassemble doors and fenders. Then paint the assembled cab one day then paint the bed and hood the next. Recommendation based on factors that include space available and ventilation. "Painting half a vehicle is far easier than painting a complete vehicle".

Old 03-29-2020, 09:53 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by diggerrigger
I'm happy to have a stay at home project during these times. Sourcing parts may be a little iffy as I have already discovered. The Fairchild KF1006 door kit I ordered from an Ebay vendor was delayed indefinitely so he asked that I just cancel the order and take a refund. I did Friday but reordered the same kit from Carid today. These kits come out of California I believe. Today's order was flagged with a three to five business day delay. We'll see. At some point I need to address flooring. My truck came with the rubber matting. I think I would prefer carpet this time. Hate ordering things that have the likely possibility of being the wrong color/shade. All my plastic interior panels can be reused but need refinishing.
I hear you on ordering parts now with what all is going on.
I ordered something that should have been here like 2 weeks ago and I have no way to track it or if has been send as it is from out of this country.
I also have another part this should be here sometime this week but I have not gotten an email that it has shipped and I am sure this company will send the email when it does.
I am in no rush for either part as my truck is running & driving they are just "tweaks" to the finished (yea right) project.

As for rubber or carpet? Both of my trucks had rubber and from what I hear of the new ones they are thinner and don't last long.
I plan to go carpet and on that front I was given a used one from a auto truck in the right color I just don't know good it will fit my stick truck as the floor hump is higher.
Free I cant go to wrong as he was going to throw it out anyway but if it does not work I will go for carpet when ready.
I think you can ask for color samples before you buy so you know you are getting the right color.

Oh I can tell you with nothing on the floor every little stone that hits the floor sounds like a 5# rock hitting it and I have 2 coats of roll on bed liner top & bottom of the floors.
Dave ----

Old 03-29-2020, 12:00 PM
JJF20
Hotshot

Well, it looks good digger. It looks good.

im just reading fuzzface2 build thread right now too. That’s a long one! But good too.

Old 03-29-2020, 02:13 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Fenders, doors and now hood are done. Taking a short break then get the wife to come help me move the hood.

Then I get to pull the cab out into the sanding area. It's a pain keeping the water and cuttings out of the interior. When applying primer, the cuppped dripped on the roof so I have four or five spots to block. Otherwise, it should be an easy sand.

Also, when Bill and I were talking about how to go about painting, I was heard to say, I don't know what I'm doing. Question: What do I do to keep from marring the surfaces I just sanded when I go to put color on the other side? Thinking hood and doors. Or should I have waited to sand them?

Old 03-29-2020, 05:07 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Better representation of the drips with the guide coat.

Roof now sanded.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:12 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Well, it looks good digger. It looks good.

im just reading fuzzface2 build thread right now too. That’s a long one! But good too.
That is 4 years worth of building before it got on the road, yes a little long.
I also know some of the picture links don't work. I did not renew my domain name fast enough and the Chinese got it and I was not going to deal with them so bot another name.
All the pictures are in the top link in my signature if you want to go thru them.

Fenders, doors and now hood are done. Taking a short break then get the wife to come help me move the hood.

Then I get to pull the cab out into the sanding area. It's a pain keeping the water and cuttings out of the interior. When applying primer, the cuppped dripped on the roof so I have four or five spots to block. Otherwise, it should be an easy sand.

Also, when Bill and I were talking about how to go about painting, I was heard to say, I don't know what I'm doing. Question: What do I do to keep from marring the surfaces I just sanded when I go to put color on the other side? Thinking hood and doors. Or should I have waited to sand them?
I painted the under side of the hood before I did the final sanding on the top side.
IIRC I painted the inside of the cab, door jambs and the doors (installed) before the fenders were installed.

The insides of the fender were also painted before I installed them.
The cab was fully put together (doors, fenders, hood), everything lined up as it should be and then did my final wet sanding with 600 grit paper.
When I painted the outside I used 1/2" round foam tape in the door & hood jambs to stop over spray from getting in.
It was the first time using it and was a pain when I first started working with it. Thing is you cant pull on it as it will not fit right in the openings and why the PITA.
I think it worked pretty good to keep over spray out, remember I also have the white to spray.

What the wife help you move the hood! I had no help, wife to small / short, to help. I had to hang the hood and drive the truck under it to install.

That is when I found out the hinges were installed on the wrong side of the truck
Dave ----

Old 03-29-2020, 06:00 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
So, I guess you feathered the overspray when you did the final wet sand. I got that wrong.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:03 PM
JJF20
Hotshot

Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
That is 4 years worth of building before it got on the road, yes a little long.
I also know some of the picture links don't work. I did not renew my domain name fast enough and the Chinese got it and I was not going to deal with them so bot another name.
All the pictures are in the top link in my signature if you want to go thru them. ---

Haha. Ok. I’m stuck on pg 11, waiting for the darn pics to down load all day! I kept hitting refresh every now and then thinking it was the internet connection. We have lousy internet some days where I am.

I’ll take a look through them. Thanks. You always learn something new reading these build threads!

Old 03-29-2020, 06:46 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
So, I guess you feathered the overspray when you did the final wet sand. I got that wrong.
Yep that's how I did it. The only hard paint lines I have on the truck are between the red & white and it is not that hard of a line if you feel it but no other way around it.
Dave ---

Old 03-29-2020, 06:47 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Haha. Ok. I’m stuck on pg 11, waiting for the darn pics to down load all day! I kept hitting refresh every now and then thinking it was the internet connection. We have lousy internet some days where I am.

I’ll take a look through them. Thanks. You always learn something new reading these build threads!
may the next time I am stuck home, working tomorrow truck driver, I will fix some more pictures.
Dave ----

Quick Reply: 1986 F150 One Owner