1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 F150 One Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 05:33 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,908 Posts
Originally Posted by Kramercd
Has anyone checked if a brake kleen straw fits a rattle can? I'm thinking heat the tip and pinch it shut and make a thin cut on opposite sides on the end.... Spray wand? I'm gonna have to try this now.
The spray tips are different.
If you look at the tip that takes the straw, carb / brake clean, it has a hole the straw fits in a paint tip dose not.
Also some tips are different where they go into the can so you need to check that also.
Dave ----

Old 03-23-2020, 03:50 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Wonder if they can be swapped or modified. I sure have enough empties on hand to check.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:31 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Ok, so the caps between the brake kleen and the paint cans that have the larger push button on them swap. Cuts are too hard to make. I tried poking holes with a razor blade. Paint squirts out under pressure, kind of hoses things down. Need tiny little holes, maybe poked with a push pin or something. I bet if you fiddled with it enough you could get the hole size just right. Could probably get better results with a properly adjusted hand held spray gun. I figure it'll still go on thick, but less chance of making paint puddles.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:20 AM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 238 Likes on 191 Posts
So, the last piece to get epoxy primer was the tail gate. It had the same paint configuration as the hood. Instead of taking it all the way to metal like the hood, I left some of the original color. Where the color was exposed, it had a reaction with the primer that I applied yesterday. There is a ridge in the primer around the edges of the color where it is feathered into the original primer. More sanding.

I should have my primer done on Thursday. It will be 70° then.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

Old 03-24-2020, 10:27 AM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
That's just primer? Looks really good, like liquid metal. Make a nice finish color.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:12 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
That's just primer? Looks really good, like liquid metal. Make a nice finish color.
I once painted a '77 XLCH silver with very fine metallic. The guy I sold it to asked if I had just shot clear over primer. The Sportster before paint and a new seat, yuk.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:43 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Really nice weather today so I sanded out in the driveway.

I'll need to go back to the paint store and get more sandpaper tomorrow... If they are open. I know I should stay home since that has been mandated by the Governor of Indiana. Movement is restricted to essential business. If the store is open, then they must be essential?

Old 03-26-2020, 05:24 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Kick a** day today. I sandblasted the bed yet again. Cleaned it out and brushed some epoxy primer in the seams that get the SEM Seam Seal. Taped the joints and applied the sealant. No pictures. You have only seven to ten minutes to apply, tool and get the tape off.

That is as clean as it is going to get. Bill, the paint store owner actually dropped by to look at the project. He gave a thumbs up.

I also finished with primer on everything that gets color. Bill recommend to block with 600 or 800 grit. I guess I'll use 600 as I figure after all sanding I'll hit it with a coat of sealer. The bed sides and the tail gate were the victims today

Old 03-26-2020, 06:12 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
I assume that's a local paint store? Hard to imagine the guy at Lowe's coming by to check on you.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:44 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
I assume that's a local paint store? Hard to imagine the guy at Lowe's coming by to check on you.
Performance Refinish Supply. Bill is a franchisee I believe. When I Google them, I see five Indiana locations. They have a full line of "Performance Refinish Supply" labled products.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:29 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
I think that still counts as a local store, at the very least it's got a good owner.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:07 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,908 Posts
Originally Posted by diggerrigger
Kick a** day today. I sandblasted the bed yet again. Cleaned it out and brushed some epoxy primer in the seams that get the SEM Seam Seal. Taped the joints and applied the sealant. No pictures. You have only seven to ten minutes to apply, tool and get the tape off.

That is as clean as it is going to get. Bill, the paint store owner actually dropped by to look at the project. He gave a thumbs up.

I also finished with primer on everything that gets color. Bill recommend to block with 600 or 800 grit. I guess I'll use 600 as I figure after all sanding I'll hit it with a coat of sealer. The bed sides and the tail gate were the victims today
I am having a hard time loading your pictures and locking up my browser
I took my truck by the place a bought all me body & paint supplies the other day to pick up parts and so the girl that mixed the paint and the guys behind the counter could see it.
They don't get to see a finished project 99% of the time and loved it. She took pictures and said she was going to post it on their FB page.

I did not use a sealer but the paint said to use 600 dry or 400 / 600 wet, I went with 600 wet and happy I did as I am sure the paint would have shown sanding marks with the 400.
Mine was also done in a single stage paint like the factory did, it a vary nice driver.
Dave ----

Old 03-27-2020, 09:29 AM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
I am having a hard time loading your pictures and locking up my browser
I took my truck by the place a bought all me body & paint supplies the other day to pick up parts and so the girl that mixed the paint and the guys behind the counter could see it.
They don't get to see a finished project 99% of the time and loved it. She took pictures and said she was going to post it on their FB page.

I did not use a sealer but the paint said to use 600 dry or 400 / 600 wet, I went with 600 wet and happy I did as I am sure the paint would have shown sanding marks with the 400.
Mine was also done in a single stage paint like the factory did, it a vary nice driver.
Dave ----
Most of the photos are taken as I type out the post. My pictures aren't that good but are still heavy on Mb. The pics load slow in my browser too. If I figure a way to post photos that are smaller data wise, I will. I used to use Photobucket to resize. Then they demanded I pay a ransom of hundreds of dollars to host the photos. I let them just keep them.

I'm leaning towards single part too. To avoid the cost and work BC/CC. As said in the beginning that I wasn't looking for a show truck.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:00 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Sort of took the day off. Only did about a half hour of actual physical work on the truck. I did make the run to the paint store. I picked up some 600 paper and a few sheets of 400 to start the blocking over bed wheel arches if useful. I got another quart of primer to shoot the inside of the bed, inside of tail gate, the inside of the cab and touch up any sand through spots. Weather permitting, I'll shoot the tail gate and bed inside tomorrow.

I didn't laze today. The wife has been on me to wash the outside of my garage. So I got my ladder, brush on a stick and several buckets of Dawn suds and went at it. Wife's very pleased with results.

Four for four on lawn equipment. Went to the shed last week and sat on my Toro rider, turned the key to start and she fired right up. My Stihl weed eater, poured in some fresh gas, bam! My Stihl chain saw? Yup, fired right up. This afternoon I pushed my Toro self propelled up to the garage, poured in gas that I siphoned from the truck, primer bulb and one pull, then mowed half the lawn.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:40 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Nice, I siphoned gas out of my truck yesterday to mow as well lol. Need to check my chainsaw. I vaguely remember putting her away wet. But I only use good gas so not worried about that hurting it. Got a lot more cleanup to do before they'll let me get back on the truck. She's still needing some parts, but she's hurting for a little paint.

Quick Reply: 1986 F150 One Owner