1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 F150 One Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 05:22 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 249 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Kramercd
That's a good looking color. Very sharp but not flashy. Can't remember if you were going to leave it monotone or do a stripe or two.
Monotone. I'm getting to a point where I have to say enough is enough.

With the wasted clear, I may need more. $

Old 05-08-2020, 05:28 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
The offending area is sanded out. First, I blocked with 800 grit to get close, and then finished with 1500.

It kills my soul to sand any higher. Some pretty slick paint up here.

​​​​

Old 05-08-2020, 07:25 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,276 Likes on 1,939 Posts
That sucks on the fish eyes.
I never gave a thought of washing out my mix buckets before mixing paint in them, I got lucky!

On the foam you should be able to find something at Home Depot or Lowes hardware stores as I am sure that is where I got mine.
Then again I cant remember if I put that back on now or not? I know I looked at my 2nd cover to see just how the foam was placed to make sure I ran it the same way and why I think I replaced it.
Dave ----

Old 05-09-2020, 07:18 AM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2

On the foam you should be able to find something at Home Depot or Lowes hardware stores as I am sure that is where I got mine.
Dave ----
An online search of Lowes and Home Depot netted nothing in the desired dimensions made of closed cell foam. It seems to me that the original material would have been closed cell as to not absorb water. I course, I don't know for sure.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:57 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by diggerrigger
An online search of Lowes and Home Depot netted nothing in the desired dimensions made of closed cell foam. It seems to me that the original material would have been closed cell as to not absorb water. I course, I don't know for sure.
I have found looking on line does not always show what they may have.
When I picked up that foam I also had to get something for the transmission hump cover to floor seal and the garage door seal to use as the cowl to hood seal.
At that time you could go into stores and look over what they had.
I think what I got is used for window AC units to seal any openings from air & bugs. It looked like the same stuff that was used on it, don't remember the size.
If I get out to the garage today I will see if I have any of it left in the package to get a number from.
Dave ----

Old 05-09-2020, 09:36 AM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
I have found looking on line does not always show what they may have.
When I picked up that foam I also had to get something for the transmission hump cover to floor seal and the garage door seal to use as the cowl to hood seal.
At that time you could go into stores and look over what they had.
I think what I got is used for window AC units to seal any openings from air & bugs. It looked like the same stuff that was used on it, don't remember the size.
If I get out to the garage today I will see if I have any of it left in the package to get a number from.
Dave ----
Thanks for looking. As you can see in the photos above, the foam on my truck was completely deteriorated, crumbled to dust. So I have no idea what it was.

Old 05-09-2020, 03:43 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
I have not made it out to the garage but this looks like what I would have used
http://www.lowes.com/pd/M-D-13-ft-x-...rip/1000460601
On this page it also shows foam "rubber" and this is like the door weather strips that is not what I found left on mine.
http://www.lowes.com/search?searchTe...ther+stripping
Dave ----

Old 05-09-2020, 06:42 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
I think I like option one.
Eleven in stock three miles away.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:12 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Another uh oh that I found. I put only two coats of base in the door jambs. I missed this spot, twice, sort of.

Took a flashlight to find it and I had to use flash to get the picture.

All taped up.

When I went to spray the bottom, it seems the paint didn't like the angle and was reluctant to get up in that corner. Holding the gun closer to the door makes a difference. Still learning. Shot one coat of clear on it.

I re-cleared the valence. It is fine but it came up with a little trash in it. Put it on the list for polishing. I waved off shooting clear on the door for fear of trash. I get zero trash when I have southwesterly wind. Puts pressure on the two walls with filtered air intakes. Pulls vacuum on the service and overhead door as well as the window with the exhaust fans. Today, after a record low temperature and a light frost three weeks after normal last frost date, I had brisk northwesterly wind. I should have known better.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:09 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Trash in the paint / clear sucks.
That is another reason why I did my painting all in 1 shot.
If I would had time off from work and the weather was good, wind low I would not know when I would have that again.
When done it will not be that bad and you can say you did all the work / painting yourself.
When you get "nice truck" it will all be worth it.
Dave ----

Old 05-12-2020, 07:01 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Dave, is this what you used between hood and firewall?

Old 05-12-2020, 07:26 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by diggerrigger
Dave, is this what you used between hood and firewall?
Yes worked great.
I have pictures I can post when on my pc
Going to bed, 1am comes quick
Dave ----

Old 05-13-2020, 11:54 AM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
With luck, tomorrow will be my last paint day on this project. I'll spray a lining in the bed later but I'm not calling that paint. Haven't seen the hood for weeks. It's been sitting on top of the table saw and covered up. Been using it for a table.

Used the guide coat and this long block.

The guide coat compels you to keep sanding until flat. I highly recommend it. It also shows any imperfections in the primer. This hood got an initial sanding weeks ago yet look what shows up under scrutiny.

Sanded as flat as it's going to get.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:17 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
So, I had to buy yet another quart of base to paint the hood. Notice the batch #s.

When I patched in the spot on the inside of the door jamb the other day, I did not like the color match. I reported to Bill the paint guy that I was afraid I couldn't replicate the original color when I paint the hood. He asked me the usual questions about air pressure, number of coats, amount of material per coat, etc. He says it would be best if he came out again and took a look for himself.

With one quick peek at the color variation I had reported, he asked to take the new quart back to his store to spray some color verification cards. He had one of his painters make the cards and return to my garage to see if they matched what I had already sprayed. He had sprayed six cards from 30psi down to 16. I had been shooting at 26-28 psi at the gun. All were too light. He called the supplier who coughed up another whole gallon of the original batch code. No charge!

One of the cards.

It's customer service like this that has me working my *** off to end up with the best possible job. A show truck is not what I had in mind when I started, but with all the help and encouragement from the paint store, it's going to be as close to concourse as a jackleg amateur garage painter can get it.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:31 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Yep even in the qt mix paint I got to do inside the cab, under side of hood & fenders and door jambs I was not worried if it did not match to much to the outside as you can only see 1 or the other.
But when it came to the outside of cab, hood, fenders & bed where you could see all the panels side by side I wanted to make sure it was from a full mix gallon of paint.
You also had the issues between batches of factory paint that air PSI could also change the color and why your supplier did the cards at different PSI.

I have used the glide coat on my AMC Javelin project but did not on the pick up.
I do have a whole set of them sanding blocks and love them.
I have a long board air sander that I use on long flat panels.

My hood was a mess after I tried to fix a dent from the roll over parts truck.
I did not want to use the hood from my truck as it was full of Bondo with rust under it and rot by the hinges.
When fixing the roll over hood it has hard to pull the dent so I pulled the skin from the frame to hammer & dolly the dent.
When I went to put the skin & frame together is when I found when pulling them apart glue used between them caused many dents.

This took a lot of filler and sanding to get it to a point I was happy. It has "rolling lows" but they are not really that bad.
I think to the untrained eye you may not even see them. Then again it 's a driver so it has to have some things not for a show truck LOL

You are doing a great job
Dave ----

Quick Reply: 1986 F150 One Owner