1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 F150 One Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 10:01 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,276 Likes on 1,939 Posts
You and I both know if you don't paint the whole drive shaft it will be bugging you LOL

I hear you on looking for something and cant find it.
I was looking for the transmission hump cover from the parts truck and it is larger than that Ebrake adjuster.

I looked 3 different times about 30 min. each time and not finding it.
I then started to pull the garage apart, it helped to clean it up some not that it is that messy.
When pulling the 2 trucks apart I put everything in plastic bins. The 3rd one I dumped out I found it at the bottom and I did not think the cover would even fit in it.
I still have not found the shifter stick but was not really looking for it like the cover.

So keep at it you will find it most likely when not looking for it.
Dave ----

Old 04-22-2020, 04:24 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Received 249 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
You and I both know if you don't paint the whole drive shaft it will be bugging you LOL

I hear you on looking for something and cant find it.
I was looking for the transmission hump cover from the parts truck and it is larger than that Ebrake adjuster.

I looked 3 different times.
I then started to pull the garage apart,
The 3rd one I dumped out I found it at the bottom

So keep at it you will find it most likely when not looking for it.
Dave ----
That's how it came down. I finally dumped the box out. The part was camouflaged, same dirty Ziebart color as everything else in the box.

​​​​

Old 04-23-2020, 05:17 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Today I dropped the front tank. Before I did that, I made up a pressure test tool so that I could compare front and rear tank pump pressure.

Tank pumps had identical pressure, 3psi on the guage.

I finished transferring the gasoline from the front tank to the rear and dropped the front. I wallered around under the truck and got the frame scraped free of Ziebart. Some touch up sanding of the slick, clean metal spots then painted all.

I am so tempted to leave the front tank off.

Old 04-24-2020, 06:30 AM
JJF20
Hotshot

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,148 Posts
Not that pumps fail often, but having two is nice... just a thought.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:44 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
I only have 1 pump on the motor.
In the rebuild of my truck I added the 2nd rear 19 gallon tank and happy I did as the factory 16 gallon front tank does not go that far before needed to stop to fill up.
I can go about 350 +/- miles between the 2 tanks and that is a little more than a week back n forth to work.
I just wished the truck got more than mid 14's for MPG and that is with a 300 six and 4sp transmission
Dave ----

Old 04-24-2020, 08:52 AM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by JJF20
Not that pumps fail often, but having two is nice... just a thought.
That is the best argument for keeping both tanks. But, as I mention earlier in this thread, it is troublesome to keep gasoline fresh. My truck has less than 8000 miles on it over the last ten years. Since I had been having trouble with the rear tank, I did not keep the gas fresh. What gas I just drained from it last week did not have a good color. Smelled okay but way too amber. I would not pour it back into any vehicle. I thought that tank was near empty but took seven or so gallons out of it. Reason I thought it was empty is that my fuel gauge was well below E and the truck was dying for fuel starvation. When that happened I would simply flip to the front tank and and all was immediately well again. The gas was from at least last fall. I typically used Stabil or Seafoam to preserve the fuel but how long is too long.

Not being 100% certain that my fuel line repair will solve the fuel problem from the rear tank is another argument for retaining the tank. At least for now.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:58 AM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
I only have 1 pump on the motor.
In the rebuild of my truck I added the 2nd rear 19 gallon tank and happy I did as the factory 16 gallon front tank does not go that far before needed to stop to fill up.
I can go about 350 +/- miles between the 2 tanks and that is a little more than a week back n forth to work.
I just wished the truck got more than mid 14's for MPG and that is with a 300 six and 4sp transmission
Dave ----
350 miles? that's a half a year for me. Maybe I will need to take the truck on long leisure drives to burn more gas. My 5.0L has always gotten better than 14mpg. It'll do 19 hwy. But of course, that is my driving style factor.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:56 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by diggerrigger
350 miles? that's a half a year for me. Maybe I will need to take the truck on long leisure drives to burn more gas. My 5.0L has always gotten better than 14mpg. It'll do 19 hwy. But of course, that is my driving style factor.
I just saw your post above on how much you (don't) drive the truck, heck I got 3866+ since Nov of last year. Cant tell you the last time I had the 02 Durango out?
Yesterday the wife and I took it into town to pick up our tax papers I use it all the time like I think you will once yours is done.

19 MPG go ahead rub it in LOL I know mine should get batter.
Its not like this 300 six & granny 4sp is a race truck, heck I shift it at or below 2000 RPM and keep it under 65 MPH on the high way with a 70 MPH limit.
Because its not a race truck I like the leisure drives to from work.
Dave ----

Old 04-24-2020, 12:45 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Well, the front tank is reinstalled. I had to order new fuel pump strainers from Rock Auto. I was able to purchase the quality Delphi brand on close out at about $4.50 each, shipped. I'll get them as soon as the local parts store could get them.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:29 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
I am sure you will be happy you installed that tank again once on the road and driving the truck.
Dave ----

Old 04-24-2020, 09:11 PM
Kramercd
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by diggerrigger
Need to get into the habit of Sunday drives, or do lots of truck shows once it's done. My wife does about 1000 miles a week. She's an aid. work is 26 miles away. Most of that is just driving around in town running errands for her clients.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:24 PM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Spent today working on setting up the garage for painting inside. I started by building some temporary shelves for the exhaust fans. The air mover on the bottom shelf will have two furnace filters to keep it relatively clean. It belongs to my neighbor.

When I painted my mom's Honda Accord five years ago, the blue tinted box fan in the middle is the only fan I used. IIRC, I realized at that time that I needed more fans. Moved some large things to the shed including the DRZ dirt bike. My ADV bike went to my wife's garage.

Once I start hanging the plastic sheeting, it's go time.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:58 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Exhaust fans ........ we don't need no stinking exhaust fans!

On the air mover you are going to put filters on just but him a new fan it will be easier in the long run.
My garage was large enough and has enough air leaks that I really did not need exhaust fans.
I was also worried with exhaust fans that the air moving would kick up dirt & dust and why I did not use them.

I did have 1 box fan setup blowing across my air cooler / drier and both the fan (no filter) & cooler fins are now red.
The box fan and a few others I have are just for my non-AC garage so not a big deal it go covered.
The outside of both my garage doors are a pink color from the air leaks as in the floor of the garage.

Cant wait to see color on the truck as I know you are.
Dave ----

Old 04-26-2020, 10:26 AM
diggerrigger
Fleet Mechanic
Exhaust fans ........ we don't need no stinking exhaust fans!

On the air mover you are going to put filters on just but him a new fan it will be easier in the long run.
My garage was large enough and has enough air leaks that I really did not need exhaust fans.
I was also worried with exhaust fans that the air moving would kick up dirt & dust and why I did not use them.

I did have 1 box fan setup blowing across my air cooler / drier and both the fan (no filter) & cooler fins are now red.
The box fan and a few others I have are just for my non-AC garage so not a big deal it go covered.
The outside of both my garage doors are a pink color from the air leaks as in the floor of the garage.

Cant wait to see color on the truck as I know you are.
Dave ----
My neighbor's fan already has red paint all over it. I just don't want it to turn gray. My garage floor is still blue from mom's car. Maybe I should have chosen the color "concrete" for this project. When I'm set up, the window sashes will all be out of all three garage windows. One window will have the fans, the other two will have three 16x20 Merv 7 furnace filters each. (the 3 mo. kind. All these will be reusable in the HVAC system when I'm done painting) The two on the air mover will be trash but are only the cheesy fiberglass type. More on the prep later.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:10 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
I don't have any windows in the garage area other then in the doors.
I have a work room that I have a large table (shelf most of the time) that I mixed the paint in and it has a door, that I kept closed during painting, I used to enter the garage.
That was another reason I could not add fans anywhere. To the right that window is in the work room.

Looking back across the garage to the door to the work room

At the back of work room, door to the left is outside and across just past the frig door to garage

When I was painting I had the outside door and door to garage closed and plastic over the work room to garage door on garage side to help stop any dirt moving when I went in & out.
So you can see why I cant really set up a vent system.
Dave ----

Quick Reply: 1986 F150 One Owner