Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Payload Rating Frustrations

 
  #61  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:41 PM
Alaskan_Warbird's Avatar
Alaskan_Warbird
Alaskan_Warbird is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 1,383
Alaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by h20camper View Post
The gas F350 which comes with the same Sterling 10.5" as the F250 is rated on the sticker as rear GAWR of 7230 not 6340. Ford just changes the listed rating. Here's two fairly identical trucks. Same tires, axles, etc.

https://www.brandonford.com/vehicle-...fl-id-29483206

https://www.brandonford.com/vehicle-...fl-id-29879810





I will also add that both SRW trucks have the same braking system.
I fart in the general direction of SRW trucks. Here's the sticker on my truck. I'm interested in what Dana/Sterling rates the axle at - not what Ford derates it to which is available on the sticker below.


 
  #62  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:51 PM
ATC Crazy's Avatar
ATC Crazy
ATC Crazy is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SW VA
Posts: 5,659
ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by h20camper View Post
The gas F350 which comes with the same Sterling 10.5" as the F250 is rated on the sticker as rear GAWR of 7230 not 6340. Ford just changes the listed rating. Here's two fairly identical trucks. Same tires, axles, etc.

https://www.brandonford.com/vehicle-...fl-id-29483206

https://www.brandonford.com/vehicle-...fl-id-29879810





I will also add that both SRW trucks have the same braking system.

Also, the front Dana 60 has a GAWR of 6,500 or 7,000lbs. Numbers are conflicting between the D60 and Super 60...but either way...not the 4800# like those stickers say
 
  #63  
Old 05-15-2019, 12:44 AM
StonedGrey
StonedGrey is online now
Junior User
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 52
StonedGrey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by harmanrk View Post
Only item I would disagree with here is the issue of brakes. I'm not sure why the brakes would be any more overworked than on a 11500GVWR SWR F350, as they have the same braking system.
Im fairly certain a F350 has hydro boost assisted braking system and F250 does not. A dually f350 does have hydro boost not 100% sure about the SRW350.
 
  #64  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:20 AM
h20camper's Avatar
h20camper
h20camper is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lost in the Ozone....
Posts: 1,682
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by StonedGrey View Post
Im fairly certain a F350 has hydro boost assisted braking system and F250 does not. A dually f350 does have hydro boost not 100% sure about the SRW350.
Per the Ford Spec book, the SRW F350 has same brake system as F250. You are correct that the dually has Hydro-Boost.

 
  #65  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:26 AM
h20camper's Avatar
h20camper
h20camper is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lost in the Ozone....
Posts: 1,682
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
but.. one has a 10,000 rating and one has a 11,300 rating....
Correct. As one is a F250 and the other is F350. Point was the physical axle and brakes are the same. Its a numbers rating game Ford has to play with vehicle class.

The only real major differences between a GAS F250 and F350 are the tranny (6R100 vs 6R140) and rear springs (3 leaves vs 4 leaves with overload).
 
  #66  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:31 AM
h20camper's Avatar
h20camper
h20camper is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lost in the Ozone....
Posts: 1,682
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Looks like itís got different rear tires, and different rear springs. Thatís probably the difference in the ratings.
Same tires on both examples (LT275/65R20E 126/123R), just higher PSI on the F350 due to the higher load rating.
 
  #67  
Old 05-15-2019, 06:43 AM
h20camper's Avatar
h20camper
h20camper is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lost in the Ozone....
Posts: 1,682
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird View Post
Hmmmm. So what's the manufacturer rating (not the Ford rating) on my 2017 F350 DRW? I gotta go look up which axle it is again. Last time I tried to find that data, no one had it published yet.
That is a difficult find but it looks like your Dana M300 rear axle has max GAWR of 16k lbs.

It is designed for use in light commercial vehicles with Gross Axle Weight Ratings (GAWR) of 5200 to 7250 kg (11,500 to 16,000 lb)

Dana - News Releases
 
  #68  
Old 05-15-2019, 07:30 AM
ATC Crazy's Avatar
ATC Crazy
ATC Crazy is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SW VA
Posts: 5,659
ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.ATC Crazy has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by StonedGrey View Post
Im fairly certain a F350 has hydro boost assisted braking system and F250 does not. A dually f350 does have hydro boost not 100% sure about the SRW350.
If they are like the '11-'16 models....all gas SRW trucks have vacuum brakes. All diesel trucks, and gas DRW's, got hydroboost.
 
  #69  
Old 05-15-2019, 09:27 AM
h20camper's Avatar
h20camper
h20camper is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lost in the Ozone....
Posts: 1,682
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks like they changed on 2017+. This appears to be vacuum boost on this 2018 6.7




https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/1...uper-duty.html
 
  #70  
Old 05-15-2019, 09:35 AM
JD'sBigredv10
JD'sBigredv10 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Poway, CA
Posts: 272
JD'sBigredv10 has a good reputation on FTE.JD'sBigredv10 has a good reputation on FTE.
Some believe that a SRW F-350 is significantly different than a F-250 but as stated previously, the trucks are mostly the same. In fact, a F-250 can be equipped to be nearly identical to a F-350. I know because I ordered my truck to be just that. Every aspect of my truck is 100% identical to the equivalent F-350 with the exception of the rear springs. My spring pack has three in the main plus the an overload. A 350 would have four in the main. That is the complete list of mechanical differences. I needed the capability of a 350 but my truck also needed to be a Class 2 vehicle. Building a F-250 in this configuration costs the same as a F-350...as it should because it's the same truck!

Ford derates the Dana axle in my truck to 6340 pounds and lowers the tire pressure to 65 psi. They probably derate the axle because the tire pressure is lower. I only made two changes to my truck for towing my fiver. I increased the tire pressure and added StableLoad upper overloads. With my 12,000 pound GVW fifth wheel connected, I still have a slight rake and the truck handles perfectly. Haven't scaled it yet but I'm certain that the pin weight is in the 2200-2500 range when fully loaded.

"Upgrading" to a F-350 SRW would gain me absolutely nothing other than an extra 1500 pounds on my payload sticker and stickers don't help to pull trailers.
 
  #71  
Old 05-15-2019, 01:14 PM
Alaskan_Warbird's Avatar
Alaskan_Warbird
Alaskan_Warbird is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 1,383
Alaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to beholdAlaskan_Warbird is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by h20camper View Post
That is a difficult find but it looks like your Dana M300 rear axle has max GAWR of 16k lbs.

It is designed for use in light commercial vehicles with Gross Axle Weight Ratings (GAWR) of 5200 to 7250 kg (11,500 to 16,000 lb)

Dana - News Releases
Thank you for that tidbit of info!
 
  #72  
Old 05-15-2019, 02:46 PM
speakerfritz's Avatar
speakerfritz
speakerfritz is online now
Postmaster
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,512
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Axle ratings is not enough he only consideration on truck numbers

The role of GVWR and GCWR in specifying work trucks
 
  #73  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:55 PM
Joe T
Joe T is online now
Elder User
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 974
Joe T is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
Axle ratings is not enough he only consideration on truck numbers

The role of GVWR and GCWR in specifying work trucks
Realistically its the driver and what truck he needs to do the job. Thats what the article said.

Ford set the 250 up to about max what you want with a SRW.

Anyway, keep your Gin pole off-road and dont kill anyone; not like thats ever been said.
 
  #74  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:07 AM
JeepPuller's Avatar
JeepPuller
JeepPuller is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Monkton, MD
Posts: 1,414
JeepPuller is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by JD'sBigredv10 View Post
Some believe that a SRW F-350 is significantly different than a F-250 but as stated previously, the trucks are mostly the same. In fact, a F-250 can be equipped to be nearly identical to a F-350. I know because I ordered my truck to be just that. Every aspect of my truck is 100% identical to the equivalent F-350 with the exception of the rear springs. My spring pack has three in the main plus the an overload. A 350 would have four in the main. That is the complete list of mechanical differences. I needed the capability of a 350 but my truck also needed to be a Class 2 vehicle. Building a F-250 in this configuration costs the same as a F-350...as it should because it's the same truck!

Ford derates the Dana axle in my truck to 6340 pounds and lowers the tire pressure to 65 psi. They probably derate the axle because the tire pressure is lower. I only made two changes to my truck for towing my fiver. I increased the tire pressure and added StableLoad upper overloads. With my 12,000 pound GVW fifth wheel connected, I still have a slight rake and the truck handles perfectly. Haven't scaled it yet but I'm certain that the pin weight is in the 2200-2500 range when fully loaded.

"Upgrading" to a F-350 SRW would gain me absolutely nothing other than an extra 1500 pounds on my payload sticker and stickers don't help to pull trailers.
This brings up the question I’ve never been able to find an acceptable answer for. Has there ever been an incident where someone (non commercial) towing over the trucks stickered/registered rating was involved in an accident, and was cited, sued, or charged because of it?

I believe this occurs frequently, not the accident part, based on what I read on the various forums, truck and rv alike. Not a real sample size, I know.

I too tow with a 250, but I only tow a Jeep on a steel deck car hauler, probably 7k max. This is well within my 3k+ payload, even if I add a lightweight truck camper. I just wonder if my work to buy a truck with enough payload even matters.

I dont want want to rehash the capability vs sticker debate. I just wonder if anyone has firsthand experience with the scenario I asked about.
 
  #75  
Old 05-16-2019, 06:24 AM
T diesel's Avatar
T diesel
T diesel is online now
Posting Guru
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sterling, ct.
Posts: 1,835
T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.
As far as the "extra leaf."
From 2011 to 2014 ALL SRW F-350's came with 3 and an overload and topped out at 11,500 lbs.
The different 4 leaf pack became the standard 350 pack I believe in late 2016 but I'm not sure.
The change had NO effect on payload.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.