Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side mirrior recomendations..

Old 06-08-2018, 10:37 AM
L-ight
Senior User
L-ight is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by jimjokjv View Post
The picture you show looks exactly like the mirror plug on the set I got.
My thinking would be the wiring color code on the plug would be the same.
White, Yellow and Orange control the power mirror functions.
Blue - parking lights
Red - turn signal lights
Gray - heat
Black - Ground.

If they are indeed different perhaps you could post the color coding once you figure it out so others can benefit.
Yea you're right. I was reading your post wrong. Now I just need to find the power (color) for the parking lights on my light switch. As well as finding a damn hanger bolt to fix the stripped one.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:17 AM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by F250_ View Post
I'm not sure that you're right about "power only" being the limit for the 2003 year model 7.3's. My 7.3L 2003 Eddie Bauer Excursion absolutely DID have heat in the stock mirrors on it, as did the one aftermarket replacement mirror I had to install after my son crushed it up against a bollard post in a parking lot. Perhaps that was just an Excursion offering, or perhaps (at the factory) the 7.3L engine platform got installed into what had initially been intended to be a 6.0L vehicle. Don't know, but it DEFINITELY had the heated mirrors in its stock form. In fact, the 2003 Eddie Bauer V10 I had for over a year also had heated mirrors.
You are correct, it was an X thing. The X was treated different than its truck brother as far as accessory releases. The X got things before the truck did. Most of the upgrades/updates seemed to come with the new diesel engine in 2003 instead of the model year release.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:52 PM
Bonanza35
Post Fiend
Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
My Lariat didn't even get power mirrors in 1999, so I guess I would have to figure it all out. Could be a real pain.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:07 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
I'm not sure that you're right about "power only" being the limit for the 2003 year model 7.3's. My 7.3L 2003 Eddie Bauer Excursion absolutely DID have heat in the stock mirrors on it, as did the one aftermarket replacement mirror I had to install after my son crushed it up against a bollard post in a parking lot. Perhaps that was just an Excursion offering, or perhaps (at the factory) the 7.3L engine platform got installed into what had initially been intended to be a 6.0L vehicle. Don't know, but it DEFINITELY had the heated mirrors in its stock form. In fact, the 2003 Eddie Bauer V10 I had for over a year also had heated mirrors.
Y2 posted some good info earlier in the thread. Here is his post, quoted below:

Originally Posted by Y2KW57 View Post
If by "these bad boys" you are referring to Super Duty trucks, then no, they definitely did not all come with heated mirrors. In fact, for the first three production years 1998 (E99), 1999 (99.5), and 2000, heat was not available in the mirrors at all, not even in the full boat Lariat models. My 2000 Lariat with power trailer tow mirrors did not have heat... nor did the mirrors swing both ways. Back in 2001, it was an extremely popular mod to swap out 99-00 model year mirrors for 2001-up mirrors, just to get them to swing both ways and to add heat. Then people would swap again in 2003 when the signal mirrors came out. Then again when the larger convex mirror came out in 2008. There was an FTE member here who switched his mirrors out four times, and he only had 25,000 miles on his rarely used truck. His name was Neil, and I've wondered what has happened to him. He's in NorCal too.

Anyway, the point is, anyone with 99-00 Superduty who has the heated mirror markings on the glass of their mirrors (like mine now do) no doubt is not running the original mirrors that Ford shipped with the truck. They have been replaced/upgraded. This was so common, that an aftermarket industry developed to meet the demand.

On the other hand, if by "these bad boys" you are referring to aftermarket mirror replacements.... then I have no idea which aftermarket mirrors have heat and which do not.
My 2000 Ex has heated mirrors and so does my old 2002 F250 Lariat.

Stewart

Old 06-08-2018, 03:27 PM
Y2KW57
Postmaster
Y2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputation
I tried to be very careful not to include the word "Excursion" in my earlier post regarding heat in mirrors. I said 99-00 Super Duty trucks did not have heat. They also didn't swing both ways.

The Excursion was different. The Excursion was a passenger vehicle, that got upgrades in niceties that very quickly migrated over to the trucks. When you think about it, previous generation trucks didn't even have power adjustment on the mirrors. It was either west coasters or trucker style mirrors for towing. So the twin bar plastic aero towing mirrors Ford introduced in 1998 for the 99 up truck were already mind blowing at the time, without the heat (and despite the fact that the convex glass arrangement and separation bar was poorly configured).

Anyway, beginning in 2001, the Super Duty truck began benefiting from Excursion parts, including more insulation under the hood and in the fenders, and under the floor pan. Passenger side adjustable power seats. Heated seats. Heated mirrors. Power adjustable pedals... these were all Excursion car like comforts that migrated into the Super Duty truck line, but that were not present or available in 99-00 model years, prior to the Excursion.

So yes, it stands to reason that a 2003 Super Duty may have come from the factory with heated mirrors. That doesn't mean that heated mirrors were available in a 1999 or 2000 model year truck. Hope that makes it clearer.

Like I said, the OEM towing mirrors on my 00 Lariat did not have heat. I gave those mirrors away to a friend who needed towing mirrors to tow a trailer one time, and never asked for them back. I now have mirrors from an early build 2002 model year Excursion that was manufactured in 2001. These mirrors have heat. Back in 2003, I bought a brand new set of 2004 model year mirrors with the signals and running lights. I have yet to install them, 14 years later, because I wanted to modify the separation line between the moveable mirror and the convex glass. I never got around to that project, and then the 2008 and up mirrors came out.

But I'm stubborn. I will eventually get around to modifying my 2004 mirrors that are still brand new in the box from Ford (over $600 at the time). While the other old goats are playing cards in the dining room of my rest home, I'll be in my wheel chair sitting in the corner fumbling with a screwdriver and one of those mirrors in my lap, tinkering away.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:38 PM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
My 2000 Ex has heated mirrors and so does my old 2002 F250 Lariat.

Stewart
Good to know. My '03 does not have heat. It is amazing the amount of package options Ford offered, especially during this era.

When I was looking for my truck I came across a 2000 Lariat 4x4. Loaded inside but only had an AM/FM/cassette head unit.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:20 PM
jimjokjv
Senior User
jimjokjv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by L-ight View Post
Yea you're right. I was reading your post wrong. Now I just need to find the power (color) for the parking lights on my light switch. As well as finding a damn hanger bolt to fix the stripped one.
https://www.boltdepot.com/Hanger_bol...in_finish.aspx
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Hanger-bolt...are/4294710926

Old 06-09-2018, 08:39 AM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
But I'm stubborn. I will eventually get around to modifying my 2004 mirrors that are still brand new in the box from Ford (over $600 at the time). While the other old goats are playing cards in the dining room of my rest home, I'll be in my wheel chair sitting in the corner with a screwdriver and one of those mirrors in my lap, tinkering away.

That right there is just FUNNY! I can see you doing it, too!

Thanks to you and others for clarifying the heated mirror thing. I had not read Y2K's initial post in detail, or I would have just left my post out altogether because Y2K's had already addressed the issue.

To the OP, I'm interested in your "fix" because the set of 2012 takeoff mirrors in my garage have a bent mounting bolt on one of them. I'm thinking that I really don't want to try to bend it back straight for fear of breaking it off. I guess I just need to get them out and mount them up to see if anything is even necessary to compensate for the bent bolt. If I could back it out some way and replace it with a straight bolts, that would be ideal. If they are really riveted in, though, that's just not an option.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:14 AM
Y2KW57
Postmaster
Y2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputation
I had not read Y2K's initial post in detail.
No worries! You're not alone! My eyes glaze over when I read skim my posts too.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:07 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
I tried to be very careful not to include the word "Excursion" in my earlier post regarding heat in mirrors. I said 99-00 Super Duty trucks did not have heat. They also didn't swing both ways.
Yes, I thought your post was clear (how you are able to refrain from using ambiguous and general terms like "this badboy" I'll never understand... ) and is the very reason why I quoted it, showing the comparison with my 2000 Ex mirrors.

But I'm stubborn. I will eventually get around to modifying my 2004 mirrors that are still brand new in the box from Ford (over $600 at the time). While the other old goats are playing cards in the dining room of my rest home, I'll be in my wheel chair sitting in the corner fumbling with a screwdriver and one of those mirrors in my lap, tinkering away.
Pete beat me to it, but this tickled me too. My minds eye painted a very funny picture with your words.

Stewart

Old 06-09-2018, 04:48 PM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
This soon to be old goat bought his heated/power mirrors for my e99 when the pass side mirror fell off while looking at it changing lanes crossing the Tappan Zee bridge some five years ago. I bolted them on, but never ran wiring. I did hook everything up with the wire running across the seats to make sure everything was working right, but then never finalized the install. The way my wife spends on her grandson, the e99 wlil be my rest home...

Old 06-10-2018, 06:55 PM
L-ight
Senior User
So I was able to find a hanger bolt that was a tad larger than the one they provided. I also grabbed a nut that fit the fine threaded side. Screwed it into the plastic and bolted it all up. Of course I have to sand down some of the bolt posts that weren't allowing the mirror to sit flush. That was pretty easy. It's not 100% flush but you can't tell unless you get up close to it and stare at it. I also added some more foam strip just for extra on both sides. I did route ground and power for the daytime running bulbs, but have yet to wire them into my light switch. Since I don't think I will be hooking up the turn signals I may just join both lights together inside the mirror and run those to both come on for both mirrors.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:23 AM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
If it's not too late, I'd like to see some pictures of how you repaired your mounting bolt with the hanger bolt. Like I said above, I may have to do the same thing with one of mine.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:27 AM
L-ight
Senior User
If it's not too late, I'd like to see some pictures of how you repaired your mounting bolt with the hanger bolt. Like I said above, I may have to do the same thing with one of mine.
It is already bolted up, but I pretty much did what I mentioned above. Went to Lowes. I brought in the whole side mirror. Went through several hanger bolts till I found one that was very close in length and thread. After that I knew the nuts that came with the mirror would not fit the new hanger bolt thread. So I found a matching nut. IIRC it was a 1/4-20 or 20-1/4 size hanger bolt. When I tried screwing the hanger bolt into the plastic it was a bit tough (by hand), but I knew it would go in and be a snug fit which was good. When I got back home I used the nut to screw the hanger bolt in and then removed the nut. This set the hanger bolt nice and deep into the mirror. I also bought a 1/4" washer to replicate the others.

Actually I did have a picture. In this one I did not put the washer on yet.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:48 PM
F250_
Post Fiend
That picture is helpful. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.