Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Side mirrior recomendations..

Old 06-06-2018, 02:35 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by axmrdr
Like Brian said, if it doesn't have a timer it would be easy to forget to turn it off.

If mine isn't wired for a defroster I don't think that I will go to the trouble of hooking it up, and I am a master electrician lol.
Yea that is what I am thinking. If mine has heat then it should be a direct plug and play I assume.Now the LED blinker on the hand I really don't care for. The side mirror lights I'd def like to power up.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:54 AM
axmrdr
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. I would like to have the lights work. I would go through some trouble to get those working.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:58 AM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 217 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by L-ight
.Now the LED blinker on the hand I really don't care for. .
That's a big one for me as I think it will help changing lanes while towing.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:28 PM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I didn't hook up the heat on mine simply because I live in Arizona. I left the lead accessible in case I change my mind but would probably just hook it direct to a power on source.
Wanted the lights on the mirrors to work so I ran the wiring to make that happen.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:42 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by jimjokjv
I didn't hook up the heat on mine simply because I live in Arizona. I left the lead accessible in case I change my mind but would probably just hook it direct to a power on source.
Wanted the lights on the mirrors to work so I ran the wiring to make that happen.
Yea I am in Houston so I really DON'T need heat as it rarely every freezes here. Though it is good for dewy mornings. It seems it may be easier to hook the turn signals up over the heater lol. I'd rather not have them on all times. Still unsure on what relay to purchase and how to hook it up. Though I can say for certain as my truck may already have heat.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:48 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I came in late guys so what mirrors did you get? And do they come with both half's of the plug to run wires, or do you have to cut off the plug and run direct? Be nice if both half's were there. There is a switch that ford makes that has a timer, just don't remember which one it is. It was cheap and most guys use to use it.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:09 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
There is a switch that ford makes that has a timer, just don't remember which one it is. It was cheap and most guys use to use it.
The 1995 Explorer defrost switch is the one I know of. I think that you can pick a used one up for pretty cheap on eBay.

I came in late guys so what mirrors did you get? And do they come with both half's of the plug to run wires, or do you have to cut off the plug and run direct? Be nice if both half's were there.
The '03-'07 tow mirrors I got from 1A only came with one half of the connector (mirror side). It is up to you to make it work with whatever you have in your door.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:20 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
So you have an 03, are the new mirrors any different? Yours should hook right up right? It would be a little different on my 1999. I would like the defrost part. I go to Wyoming and Idaho often.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:23 PM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
I bought the ones Sous and Afmedic recommended. They came with an adapter to hook up directly to the factory plug on my 2000 F250 SD. The adapter worked great but only for the power mirror controls.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:49 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
So you have an 03, are the new mirrors any different?
Nope. Power only for the 7.3L in 2003 too.

To get the "upgraded" mirrors you had to get a 6.0L. The tow mirrors were the same throughout for the 7.3L...power upper portion only. I picked up some of the truck nuances (fine wheel stud threads instead of coarse) but the upgraded accoutrements were save for those who opted for the "new and improved" small block Powerstroke. .

With the 6.0L model you had the option for the fancy tow mirrors (power, heat, signal, and marker), a sunroof, and a few additional paint color options AFAIK. There are probably more but those were the biggies that I recall off the top of my head.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:29 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Well my truck has the flat plug which makes it easier. Now I just have no idea where the other wires go. The white, yellow and orange are plugged into the mirror motors. On the truck side red goes into orange on plug side, on truck side yellow goes into white mirror side and on truck side mint green (maybe) goes into red on mirror side. So confused.

Also some how I accidentally stripped one of the bolts that screw into the truck. Now I have no clue how to get that fixed. Maybe a thread kit?

Well I ended up making that hanger bolt worse lol. I think I may have to go to home depot/lowes and try to find a match if not very close to it. May even have to buy another nut as well. Though you guys think I would need the built in washer/stopper as the actual hanger bolts just come with two different types of thread with no washer/stopper. Something like this....

​​

Old 06-07-2018, 10:01 PM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Will one of the bolts off the OEM mirror work?

Here is the wiring codes for the mirrors I installed. My guess is they are the same.
The wire coding is as follows:
New Mirror wiring:
White - attaches to black, on OEM plug on 2000 model
Yellow - attaches to Dk Blue (left side) Brown (right side) on OEM plug on 2000 model
Orange - attaches to Red (left side) Green (right side) on OEM Plug on 2000 model
Blue - powers the parking light (lower light on mirror)
Red - powers turn signal light
Gray - powers heat
Black - Ground

Old 06-07-2018, 10:30 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by jimjokjv
Will one of the bolts off the OEM mirror work?

Here is the wiring codes for the mirrors I installed. My guess is they are the same.
The wire coding is as follows:
New Mirror wiring:
White - attaches to black, on OEM plug on 2000 model
Yellow - attaches to Dk Blue (left side) Brown (right side) on OEM plug on 2000 model
Orange - attaches to Red (left side) Green (right side) on OEM Plug on 2000 model
Blue - powers the parking light (lower light on mirror)
Red - powers turn signal light
Gray - powers heat
Black - Ground
They are rivited in. Not sure how I'd get them out? Yea your wiring seems a bit different.

Could I attach the blue wire to the yellow wire on the plug? I believe the yellow is power, right? Or should I run those to the light switch on the dash?

Old 06-08-2018, 09:23 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
The picture you show looks exactly like the mirror plug on the set I got.
My thinking would be the wiring color code on the plug would be the same.
White, Yellow and Orange control the power mirror functions.
Blue - parking lights
Red - turn signal lights
Gray - heat
Black - Ground.

If they are indeed different perhaps you could post the color coding once you figure it out so others can benefit.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:49 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by brian42
Nope. Power only for the 7.3L in 2003 too.

To get the "upgraded" mirrors you had to get a 6.0L. The tow mirrors were the same throughout for the 7.3L...power upper portion only. I picked up some of the truck nuances (fine wheel stud threads instead of coarse) but the upgraded accoutrements were save for those who opted for the "new and improved" small block Powerstroke. .

With the 6.0L model you had the option for the fancy tow mirrors (power, heat, signal, and marker)....

I'm not sure that you're right about "power only" being the limit for the 2003 year model 7.3's. My 7.3L 2003 Eddie Bauer Excursion absolutely DID have heat in the stock mirrors on it, as did the one aftermarket replacement mirror I had to install after my son crushed it up against a bollard post in a parking lot. Perhaps that was just an Excursion offering, or perhaps (at the factory) the 7.3L engine platform got installed into what had initially been intended to be a 6.0L vehicle. Don't know, but it DEFINITELY had the heated mirrors in its stock form. In fact, the 2003 Eddie Bauer V10 I had for over a year also had heated mirrors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Side mirrior recomendations..