Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side mirrior recomendations..

Old 05-22-2018, 10:11 PM
jimjokjv
Senior User
jimjokjv is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
No problem. Took me a while to figure it out so thought I might save others the time. Note: made a correction to include the different color OEM wires on the right side of the truck.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:08 AM
L-ight
Senior User
L-ight is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just purcased these mirrors and can't wait for them to come in. Now I actually think my truck already has heated power mirrors. Every morning before I start my truck it has dew on it. Once I have been driving for a few mins I can see the dew evaporating off the mirror. My truck is a 2003 F250 Lariat. Did these come with automatic heated mirrors? Also there are no turn signals on them and they can extend/retract. Guess the term for them are "dog ears"?

Old 05-24-2018, 09:29 AM
jimjokjv
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
afmedic did it. I think he said it was the same as replacing them on the OEM style and there was some sort of release or catch that you could move from the mirror side.
Correct. I was able to see it just under the lower outside corner of the mirror.
Thanks!

Old 05-24-2018, 09:31 AM
afmedic
Elder User
afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by jimjokjv View Post
Correct. I was able to see it just under the lower outside corner of the mirror.
Thanks!
sorry, didn't see the question until just now, looks like yall got it figured out now!

Old 05-24-2018, 10:02 AM
jimjokjv
Senior User
What bulbs did you use to replace them with?
I tried some from the local parts store but didn't seem to make any difference.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:10 PM
afmedic
Elder User
afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.
What bulbs did you use to replace them with?
I tried some from the local parts store but didn't seem to make any difference.
I used amber LED bulbs

Old 05-30-2018, 10:26 AM
jimjokjv
Senior User
I bought a 4 pack of amber LED bulbs from Amazon for $8.99. Had to verify each one being plugged in the right way but they worked great. Looks much better and brighter.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:43 AM
L-ight
Senior User
I bought a 4 pack of amber LED bulbs from Amazon for $8.99. Had to verify each one being plugged in the right way but they worked great. Looks much better and brighter.
Can you send the link please or the bulb type?

Old 05-30-2018, 10:58 AM
jimjokjv
Senior User
Originally Posted by L-ight View Post
Can you send the link please or the bulb type?
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-31-2018, 02:54 AM
Silverhks
Junior User
Silverhks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks to comments in this thread, especially Brian42 and Stewart, I just installed my 1A mirrors and they exactly what I wanted/needed.
Now I just need to sort out the wiring for the additional features.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:58 AM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Silverhks View Post
Thanks to comments in this thread, especially Brian42 and Stewart, I just installed my 1A mirrors and they exactly what I wanted/needed.
Now I just need to sort out the wiring for the additional features.
Glad you got what you wanted.

I'm also still sorting out the wiring for additional features...years later.

Here are the write-ups I have saved from others to use when I finally get the time:

Attached Files
File Type: doc
Install_03-up Tow Mirrors.doc (27.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: doc
Install_Mirrors Heated.doc (856.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-01-2018, 02:03 PM
L-ight
Senior User
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
Glad you got what you wanted.

I'm also still sorting out the wiring for additional features...years later.

Here are the write-ups I have saved from others to use when I finally get the time:

So in order to get heat, turn signals and mirror lamps I have to run new wire? The mirror's lamps don't come on just by plugging them into the factory connector? I already purchased them and haven't had time to look at them. I have an 03 model as well.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:06 PM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by L-ight View Post
So in order to get heat, turn signals and mirror lamps I have to run new wire? The mirror's lamps don't come on just by plugging them into the factory connector? I already purchased them and haven't had time to look at them. I have an 03 model as well.
On the truck side, yes. Since you're truck does not have heat, turn, and marker lights from the factory there are no wires that run to the doors for those functions.

Some have run wire and spliced them into the mirror harness wires. Others have gotten the connector pins, crimped the new wires onto them, and inserted them into the mirror plug (truck side) for an OEM appearance. It also makes it easy to remove the mirror if you have an issue or want to replace them. I bought these connectors (Ford Wedgelock Pin Type Terminals 20-18 Gauge .060" Pin Diameter) but haven't installed them so don't know if they are the right ones. These are the ones that a couple of other users listed (F250RockStar and ligito) so I went for it.

I also have a timer relay to connect to the heat when I do the job too. The 6.0L trucks had heat but it was tied directly to a "hot in run" circuit so that any time the truck was on the mirror heat was too. I read complaints of spots on the mirrors so I didn't want the heat always on. Some have gotten a defroster switch from a '95 Explorer that has a built in timer. It is a similar appearance to what is already on the dash but is different enough that it doesn't pass my OCD test so I will use a regular switch with a relay wired in...just my preference.

I was going to wire them up during my injector debacle but getting the job done to my OCD level was too time consuming and is something I need to do as a primary project. Most everybody else would just have at it but I had a lot of stuff torn apart and would have been guessing at the final outcome (wire lengths, routing, slack, etc.) that I know I would have been disappointed with the results.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:53 PM
Y2KW57
Postmaster
Y2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputation
Others have gotten the connector pins, crimped the new wires onto them, and inserted them into the mirror plug (truck side) for an OEM appearance. It also makes it easy to remove the mirror if you have an issue or want to replace them. I bought these connectors (Ford Wedgelock Pin Type Terminals 20-18 Gauge .060" Pin Diameter) but haven't installed them so don't know if they are the right ones.
Yes, those are the right ones.

With the round connector to rectangular connector translation harness, no wires on the truck or the mirror need to be cut or spliced, and there are now plenty of unused harness connector ports to add circuits for heat, running lamp, and signal lamp.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:47 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
On the truck side, yes. Since you're truck does not have heat, turn, and marker lights from the factory
I thought all side mirrors on these bad boys came with heated mirrors?

Stewart

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Side mirrior recomendations..

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.