Fall mod/upgrade session has begun - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fall mod/upgrade session has begun

Old 09-24-2017, 09:20 PM
Senior User

Big Black Dually is starting off with a positive reputation.
Battery Rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
I think the cost of the batteries (if these really do last 10+ years) evens out after warranty replacements a time or two. If you have to replace batteries 3 times over 10 years at $175 each (guesstimate average cost), but with one warranty replacement in there, the 3 year batteries actually come out to more expensive ($700). Also, you have to go through the hassle of dealing with the knucklehead at the counter of the parts store and swapping out the batteries on their time, not your time.
d.
For me it seems like only the passenger side battery goes bad, but since we replace in pairs...

I am a believer in rotating the batteries side to side every other oil change.

BBD
Old 09-25-2017, 12:22 PM
Post Fiend

Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
Passenger side takes most the load when starting etc., I've thought of rotating every year or at least every other year to see if it helps. When i got the 1025 cold amp Interstate batteries in Wyoming one year they seemed to last. Got almost seven years out of them without rotating. Can't find them anymore. At least around California.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:02 PM
Post Fiend

F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Those Northstars are really nice batteries, and that starter looks really great, too.

I had planned on doing the GPR LED mod for quite some time, and had all the parts to do it with, but I've now changed my mind. Ever since replacing my OEM GPR with the huge Stancor unit and moving it from the valley to the PS fender, I get a really noticeable "clunk" sound every time the internal contacts change position after startup. With that audible noise, I no longer need the visual LED notification. I simply switch on the ignition, and instead of waiting for the WTS light to go off, I wait until I hear the relay switch and THEN start the engine. The extra cylinder warming from the longer delay before starting helps my tired batteries and sticky injector perform more agreeably. Granted, the cost of replacing and moving the GPR is more than that for the LED mod parts, but I also now have more open space in the valley, AND the GPR is now more easily accessed (if it goes out before I ever sell the truck).

I've been really happy with ym Undercover bed cover for the past 7 years, but saw another style/brand recently that I simply drooled over. I know you're doing a softcover, Sous, and the one I saw was another hard cover, but ti has some of the best design features I've ever seen in hard covers... it was by Diamondback >>> https://diamondbackcovers.com/
Old 09-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Postmaster

Sous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud of
Pete, I agree that you really have no need for the GPR LED. I plan to install the Stancor GPR one day, but it is not even on the list right now to be honest.

Thanks for the compliments on the batteries and starter. I am looking forward to turning the truck over for the first time after dealing with the slowly dying batteries and the OEM /242K mile starter.

Those covers are nice, and I had not seem them before. I did want a hard cover, but I also have a 45 gallon fuel tank in the bed that needs to be filled once in a while. That left out the roll up hard covers and the long fiberglass ones were not in the running at all. I decides on the Extang due to how it holds itself relatively flat, even at highway speed. Also, I can roll it up when towing the 5th wheel or needing to fill the auxiliary tank. I really just need it to cover up crap that we take camping with us and I don't want getting in the weather. Things like chairs, firewood, paddle boards, etc... that I would just prefer were under a cover while sitting waiting to be used instead of getting rained on.

Since I burned my brush pile this weekend, I am going to start cleaning up the last tree toppled by Irma and maybe, just maybe I can get to the truck this week after work hours.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:46 PM
Post Fiend

F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
I know there are certainly good reasons to get soft covers over hard ones, and your scenario certainly fits that better than mine. In my case, I was in need of lockable security when I got mine, and it also needed to be fairly easy to remove by myself. The Undercover can be removed by myself, but it is a chore. Those Diamondback covers, though, would be much more preferable to me since they can come off in pieces, but either they were not around or I just did not come across them when I got mine. Either way, they are on my radar for when I replace my truck.

Hope the cleanup isn't too laborious for you. I remember cleaning up after hurricanes several times throughout my life, and it's never a fun task, especially when it involves cutting up trees. With Frederic (1979), we had 6 HUGE pecan trees pushed over in the second half of the storm. Each one of those puppies were at least 3' in diameter, and I spent the better part of my high school senior year's afternoons cutting up those trees and splitting it all into firewood. As I would get to the irregularly shaped bases of those trees, I often ended up with as many as 6 wedges buried into a piece of that truck while trying to split it out in sections, and had to cut the wedges out with a chainsaw to keep splitting the wood. I begged my dad to get a splitter, but he said he already had one... me... and he didn't need another one! After I left for college that next fall, he went out and bought a splitter for himself!
Old 09-25-2017, 05:41 PM
Postmaster

brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy3j View Post
This is the alternator I went with, 2 years ago. No problems.

https://alternatorparts.com/6g-serie...lternator.html

I got part#F18253MHD140

Its the second one down the page. 140amp. Heavy Duty Regulator and Rectifier. American Made. $239.95

Looks like you could also move up to 160amp for $40 more.
I bought both my alternators from them last year and they have been working great. I ended up calling the guy a few times about the units (specifically the clocking for my lower alternator) and we talked for 15-20 minutes each time. He's been doing stuff like this for 30+ years and I felt confident enough to buy from him after our talks. I had to grind the brackets down in the middle for the larger 6G case to fit and used the washers on the upper alternator for spacing. I've been very happy with them (got the 140A since I'm running two of them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop View Post
AFAIK Oddyssey used to make the Diehard AGM's but they've been discontinued.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop View Post
What's the advantage to the North Star batteries over the Oddyssey? Cost? Life? Amperage?
They are basically the same battery. It's the same pure lead thin plate technology. The guys that started Odyssey moved on and now produce the Northstar. Northstar is the most state-of-the-art battery facility in the USA. My battery shop carries them over the Odyssey as they feel they are a better battery so I trust their judgment as my dad has been going to them for 20+ years for his trucks and RVs.

I try to stay USA-made where I can (I spent a career defending our flag as Sous has) as long as it is an acceptable product. In both of these cases (alternators and batteries) I personally feel these are both great products with all of the research I did on them. They are not on the scale of lower cost but I believe you get what you pay for and they support jobs here at home. That's a win in my book.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:59 PM
Post Fiend

I had a 160 amp alternator from Quick Start in the Excursion I sold last August, and it had run for probably 5 years with absolutely no issues whatsoever by the time I sold the vehicle. They are definitely good units!

On the batteries, if I'm not mistaken, Northstar also makes the X2 Power units from Batteries Plus. The external case is identical between Northstar and X2, all the way down to the oblong vents on either side of the to of the case.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:49 PM
Senior User

ZachinCO is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe I'll finally get some tunes this winter. Finally in a county without emissions testing.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:12 PM
Elder User

SaintITC has a very good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a very good reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Black Dually View Post
For me it seems like only the passenger side battery goes bad, but since we replace in pairs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza35 View Post
Passenger side takes most the load when starting etc.
If this is really true, than it should just be a matter of getting heavier gauge battery leads from each battery to the starter. The starter doesn't pick where it gets it's power from, and proximity is only relevant due to the length and gauge of the cables. If the cable length from the driver's side is enough that the gauge offers enough resistance to make a difference, than that's a design consideration made by Ford to save some coin on the cost of the cable.

I've never rotated my batteries, and when "they" have failed me, usually in winter, I've taken them back to Autozone and I don't recall both failing, but the store has always warrantied both together. I also don't remember which was which as I never thought about it that way.

If someone has two inductive ammeters, they could measure the current draw from each battery while cranking, see if this is true or not...
Old 09-26-2017, 12:19 AM
Post Fiend

Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
Don't know what to tell you but I've changed many over the years and it is always passenger side goes first. You could be right on the cables, it's been covered on here many times. Some people do up grade and add grounds as well. I always change mine in pairs also. And not all autozones exchange in pairs. It's a manager thing I guess.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:26 AM
Postmaster

Sous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud of
Well, I think you fellas have talked me into a 160 Amp alternator from Quick Start. I will get it on order today.

Zach, you will never go back once you go with tunes. Welcome to the new 7.3!

Going to read a bit about the 160Amp 6G case for $279 (F18253MHD160) from Quick Start and make a decision later today.

EDIT: I am sure they do, but did the alternator come with a pulley mounted to it already or did you have to install the OEM pulley?
Old 09-26-2017, 07:34 AM
Post Fiend

BBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud ofBBslider001 has much to be proud of
Does the alternator form Quick Start bolt in, or has to be "modded". I am now curious about upgrading mine.

On edit: I checked the website. I think I'll be ordering one here in the next day or two, though the PO told me this alternator is an upgrade, but said he has been through 3 in the last 3 years he owned the truck. Who knows? It's been fine in the 6 months I have had it.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:46 AM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
When my passenger side battery died this winter, Walmart would only exchange one of them. I told them they needed to be replaced in pairs and they were just costing themselves more money.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:30 AM
Postmaster

I am going to call Quick Start here in a little while once CST is caught up to business hours. I would like to discuss with them if the 140 or the 160 Amp alternator is right for my setup.

I don't mind buying the 160 for an extra $40, but if it will do the exact same thing as the 140 Amp does for my truck, then why spend that money. I can get a couple more cases of beer with that $40...
Old 09-26-2017, 08:42 AM
Postmaster

brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I am sure they do, but did the alternator come with a pulley mounted to it already or did you have to install the OEM pulley?
Yes it does come with a pulley already on it. It comes ready to go. All you have to do is grind some of your bracket to fit the larger 6G case and bolt it in. Quickstart sends you some washers as spacers for additional clearance. I didn't plan on using them initially as I was concerned about stretching the serpentine belt (I'm a little OCD even with 1/16"). Once I ground the bracket I decided to use the "spacers" to increase the air gap between the bracket and alternator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Does the alternator form Quick Start bolt in, or has to be "modded". I am now curious about upgrading mine.

On edit: I checked the website. I think I'll be ordering one here in the next day or two, though the PO told me this alternator is an upgrade, but said he has been through 3 in the last 3 years he owned the truck. Who knows? It's been fine in the 6 months I have had it.
The alternator is a drop in unit and comes ready to go. The only thing you have to do is grind a bit of the alternator bracket to fit the beefier 6G case. I'll try to find a picture of the bracket.

Quote:
I am going to call Quick Start here in a little while once CST is caught up to business hours. I would like to discuss with them if the 140 or the 160 Amp alternator is right for my setup.

I don't mind buying the 160 for an extra $40, but if it will do the exact same thing as the 140 Amp does for my truck, then why spend that money. I can get a couple more cases of beer with that $40...
He was a straight shooter with me and helped me pick what I needed which ended up being less than than the overkill I was considering (I only got the single rectifier).