Fall mod/upgrade session has begun - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fall mod/upgrade session has begun

Old 09-20-2017, 04:50 PM
Postmaster

Sous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud of
Starter arrived a few minutes ago, that thing is a beast compared to the OEM starter. Batteries should be here tomorrow.

Did not have time today to get anything done, had to reseal the 3 chimney caps and prep them for new covers.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Guns Dont Kill People..

schlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to beholdschlepprock250 is a splendid one to behold
Dude don't leave us hanging. Get your priorities straight man, do that work around the house crap later 😁.
​​​​
Old 09-21-2017, 04:00 PM
Postmaster

Sous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud ofSous has much to be proud of
Batteries came in today and at 55 lbs each those things heavy!

The batteries were made in June/July of 17 and were packaged very well. The box was about 3 times the size of the battery with dense foam all the way around including top and bottom.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:22 AM
Post Fiend

Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
What's the advantage to the North Star batteries over the Oddyssey? Cost? Life? Amperage?

AFAIK Oddyssey used to make the Diehard AGM's but they've been discontinued.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Postmaster

Nothing... They are virtually the same battery when comparing side by side even in cost, life, amps, etc... A friend recommended NorthStar to me after I had decided on the Odyssey batteries.

There is a NorthStar dealer near me, but they did not have what I wanted in stock. I bought these directly from NorthStar and they appear to be an excellent product.

I decided to give them a shot as my current AutoZone Gold batteries are not doing well after 2.5 years of service.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:47 AM
Post Fiend

timmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to behold
Sous, them batteries , are they the LIFE technology? A customer has bought some for his seadoos, much smaller scale, but has a 40,000 start up span to them, or the average, but at 150.00 ea, and they weighed around 2lbs...
Old 09-22-2017, 12:28 PM
Postmaster

I don't think so, are you talking about lithium batteries for automotive use? I bought a lithium battery for my motorcycle years ago that was about half the size of the standard lead acid. I thought the box was empty when it arrived it was so light weight. That thing was a beast though and cranked over a 1340cc engine like it was nothing. I actually installed this lithium battery into my John Deere riding mower because I sold the motorcycle, but kept the battery because I thought it was that cool.

The problem is, just like with RV batteries that when you start making large lithium batteries, the price jumps up.

The NorthStar and Odyssey batteries in question are AGM, which are said to be a bit of an in-between for standard lead acid and lithium batteries. Also, the lead used in these AGM batteries is something like 99.9% lead and there is more of it than the standard batteries you purchase at the parts stores.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Post Fiend

Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
I like the 930 cranking amps. Bought some Interstate years back with the high cold cranking amps but can't get them out here. It was winter in Wyoming and they had lots of them. Lasted almost seven years before I replaced them. That was good I thought, lost an alternator and had to charge them off another truck three times to get to town where it died in the ford drive way. They lasted another three years after that. Just got the biggest Interstate available here in Cali at Costco but I believe they are only 850 amps. Now that I think about it, Wyoming batteries mitt of been 1025 cold cranking amps for Interstate. Anyway, I hope these work out well.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:27 PM
Postmaster

I am confident that with the new NorthStar batteries and the Denso high torque starter that the truck will turn over faster than it ever has in the 17 years on this planet.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:31 PM
Posting Guru

crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.crop harvester has a very good reputation on FTE.
I agree,if that's the starter I think is it will spin much larger engine than You have.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:02 PM
It's a Van Gogh

aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
Nice list of OEM upgrades there! Not really mods, just better than OE.

Really digging the starting system upgrades. A big diesel motor requires some serious crankage and this covers all the bases.

Where will you place the GP LED?

For the PS hose install, mind the routing of the hoses near the shock tower. They can rub there and fail prematurely. Mine failed at the connection like so many others, but I found a near fatal wear mark at the shock tower as well. A length of strategically placed split heater hose will do the trick.

My own fall list looks like 1 glow plug. Need to pass smog and #7 GP is bad.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:08 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 View Post
Nice list of OEM upgrades there! Not really mods, just better than OE.

Really digging the starting system upgrades. A big diesel motor requires some serious crankage and this covers all the bases.

Where will you place the GP LED?

For the PS hose install, mind the routing of the hoses near the shock tower. They can rub there and fail prematurely. Mine failed at the connection like so many others, but I found a near fatal wear mark at the shock tower as well. A length of strategically placed split heater hose will do the trick.

My own fall list looks like 1 glow plug. Need to pass smog and #7 GP is bad.
I agree, just making something better, not really mods.

The batteries I am replacing are about 2.5 years old and were a "need them now" buy and are already starting to show how crappy they are. I knew they were not anything great when I bought them, but the truck needed batteries that day. The new NorthStar batteries should be a huge improvement.

The OEM starter still works, so I plan to have it rebuilt at a local shop and keep it as a spare. The new Denso from CNC should be worlds better at cranking the engine over.

The PO had an alarm on the truck and there is a small LED light next to the steering column on the left side. I think I will put an orange LED light there so that it is still out of the way most of the time, but easily visible when waiting for the GPR to shut off.

As for the power steering hose, the OEM one is against the shock tower and I can see a spot where it has been rubbing for years. I plan to put some 1" shielded fuel hose around the steering pump hose I am installing for the entire length of the shock tower area. This should allow for the tower to rub through the shielded hose for the next 10 years before even getting to the steering hose. I will also see about zip ties to hold it slightly away from the tower, but it did not look too promising upon initial inspection.

Woke up this morning to a leaking pipe in the master bath just below the shower diverter. Just finished patching it with PEX and Sharkbite adapters, those things are great. Headed to Home Depot now to get a dehumidifier to dry the area out. Then I need to burn my 8 ft tall, 15 diameter brush pile from Irma so I can make another one just as big. We are thankful Irma didn't do more damage than she did, but my truck looks awfully lonely sitting in the garage with the hood up every time I go in there.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:28 AM
Papa Smurf

MoBill122 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Then I need to burn my 8 ft tall, 15 diameter brush pile from Irma so I can make another one just as big. We are thankful Irma didn't do more damage than she did,
Know that feeling...seems I had just picked up the yard debris...then Irma, and I had to start over. Sometimes I wish I had grass.... but I love living in the woods.

Thinking my next project will be body mounts...got some weird noises and this truck has never had mounts replaced.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:13 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill122 View Post
Know that feeling...seems I had just picked up the yard debris...then Irma, and I had to start over. Sometimes I wish I had grass.... but I love living in the woods.

Thinking my next project will be body mounts...got some weird noises and this truck has never had mounts replaced.
I only pick up/clean up the downed trees that are in the "yard" and leave the ones in the woods to the critters.

Did you find any information on the body mounts, like a how to or video? That is something that is on my list as well, but have not even started looking into it.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:03 PM
Elder User

brandon_oma#692 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.brandon_oma#692 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
I only pick up/clean up the downed trees that are in the "yard" and leave the ones in the woods to the critters.

Did you find any information on the body mounts, like a how to or video? That is something that is on my list as well, but have not even started looking into it.
read about using something from timbrens in hopes of a softer ride. I think it was on fte