Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 10:36 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,584 Likes on 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by RigCity
As a civilian it’s fun to lighten up a retired service member at the workplace by asking if they can assist in deploying the E4 mafia to handle business for me on account of some Blue Falcons in the Area of Operations
It sounds like you are in civil service as a federal employee. My mother was in civil service for 33 years ensuring the supply ammunition of all sorts was sent to soldiers around the world in training and combat.

She got into civil service after separating from active duty after 7 years and still feeling like she wanted to do her part. She loved her job and was proud to know that she may be helping the men and women in our armed forces stay alive so that they may return home and enjoy our fine nation.

Thank you for doing your part too, we do appreciate it.

Old 08-17-2021, 02:03 AM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
I’m not a federal or government employee. Some of my family is making sure the goods BLOW UP right and effective though!
We have an airbase in town amongst Marines, Army and Coast Guard presence. Years ago took a few classes on base it was a memorable experience in short. Also had a job where part of it was working with VA patients usually asbestos related. Unfortunately, a significant amount never stood a chance from their certain future of chronic health issues. They are the living price of freedom carrying what was required of them at the time for a life long cost.

That sounds like quite the task your Mother stepped up for!!

Old 08-17-2021, 07:12 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by RigCity
I’m not a federal or government employee. Some of my family is making sure the goods BLOW UP right and effective though!
We have an airbase in town amongst Marines, Army and Coast Guard presence. Years ago took a few classes on base it was a memorable experience in short. Also had a job where part of it was working with VA patients usually asbestos related. Unfortunately, a significant amount never stood a chance from their certain future of chronic health issues. They are the living price of freedom carrying what was required of them at the time for a life long cost.

That sounds like quite the task your Mother stepped up for!!
She was very proud to do what she could and did. She is now buried on Rock Island Arsenal National Cemetery next to my father and about a mile away from where she worked for the Army. She would be pleased I think...

When filing for retirement I traveled to the VA facility in Columbia SC to complete my paperwork with their agency. It was humbling to see and speak to some of the retirees, veterans and volunteers. I wish there was a facility closer so that I could volunteer some of my "free" time.

I was exposed to asbestos on a daily basis for hours on end in Afghanistan. There was a blown up ATC tower that served as a hub for underground communications lines. That is where we had a large portion of our equipment running out of. The US Army said the air quality was "safe and asbestos is very low". Two days before we left our 6 month rotation in Afghanistan, the USAF bio-envirinmental team closed the tower due to "extremely high and unsafe concentration of airborne asbestos". I was lucky enough to have a comment added to my medical records just in case the 6 months of exposure comes up later in life.

Storm Fred has arrived in north GA and is bringing a bunch if rain and cooler weather. That is great for our newly planted grass!

Have a nice Tuesday everyone!

Old 08-17-2021, 07:53 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,181 Likes on 669 Posts
Morning. Did a dry fit mock up last night of the airbags. Looks like everything should be a somewhat smooth install. Once the rain stops I'll go out and start drilling

Fingers crossed I'll have psi in both bags long before dinner

The following 2 users liked this post by Wes444:
Old 08-17-2021, 08:18 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Wes444
Morning. Did a dry fit mock up last night of the airbags. Looks like everything should be a somewhat smooth install. Once the rain stops I'll go out and start drilling
Fingers crossed I'll have psi in both bags long before dinner
Outstanding news Wesely!

I for one am looking forward to very detailed pictures of how the uppper brackets install with the universal L-bracket style 5th wheel mount. I will be accomplishing this very same install once the weather cools off a bit. I am looking forward to removing the troublesome over the axle brackets ASAP.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:20 AM
F350towing
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,173 Likes on 639 Posts

I’m sure you read all the instructions prior to starting but just wanted to bring your attention to the maximum distance between brackets of 7 inches with the jounce bumpers which I see you have. 8813 bag. 5813 is the non jounce airlift bag.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:21 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Well, can't you remove them ASAP, and just pull a fuse on your fancy auto air? Your 5th is so light compared to mine you probably don't "need" airbags for your short 15 mile trips

Old 08-17-2021, 08:24 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Thanks 350. I'm shooting for an even 6"
I'm using the spacers cause without them the bottom bracket contacts the axle ubolts

Old 08-17-2021, 08:36 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Wes444
Well, can't you remove them ASAP, and just pull a fuse on your fancy auto air? Your 5th is so light compared to mine you probably don't "need" airbags for your short 15 mile trips
I could remove them ASAP, but like your weather, ours is hot and humid right now and in a non-climate controlled garage that is no fun.

I don't have auto air sir, you may be thinking of Dan V. He has a fancy auto air system. I have the "Wireless One Compressor" from AirLift. Your trailer is heavier than mine... I sold our 38ft 5th wheel with 5 slides because it was too big and did not allow us to get into boondocking spots in austere locations on BLM and Forest Service land like we like to do.

Yup, we live 1 mile from a lake and lake Hartwell has several CoE campgrounds on it that are great places to spend a few days. We also have Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon and other places that we travel to that seem to fit in our "15 mile trip" range.

Like this "spot" in north ID that I took the picture of recently... Just a short few miles up the road for us here in GA.

I especially like this shot my wife took of us traveling by Yellowstone to the right. Again, just a short few miles up the road from us in GA.

By the way, when we go out west soon, we plan to come through OK and TX again like we did in 2019. Hopefully it won't be during your nightshift schedule again Wesley and we can hang out for a bit longer this time. We have a friend in TX and two friends in AZ that were pretty upset with us for not coming back that way in July on this past cross country trip.

It was too fricking hot though, so we went north through MT, MN and then back home to GA. You know, about 20 miles up the road...

Old 08-17-2021, 08:40 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
I only said 15 mile cause I thought you already did your long trip for the year and the rest were just the short trips

Wireless air, auto air, it's all electronic and fancy. Not the valve stems to a bicycle pump install I'm doing

Old 08-17-2021, 09:06 AM
F350towing
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,173 Likes on 639 Posts
I’m not sure how tall the jounce bumper is inside the bag.

I would be more inclined to go for the maximum distance between the mounting plates.

My thought on this is the more distance between the rubber bumper and the top plate the more Air / Soft ride you have before bottoming out.

The place where I bought my ubolts had a jounce bag cut away they are open at 7:30 and it’s on my way to work. I can swing in there and get a measurement if you like.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:12 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
That would be informational if you can get a picture. I'm contemplating starting a install thread on it and would like that picture in there if I do. But I finished the install this morning. I was limited in my mounting height by the 5th wheel bracket bolts. The 5th bracket's holes were so low on the truck frame they were at the minimum of 3/4" from the bottom frame web way back when I installed them years ago. So today i had to then mount the air bag mounts low as well to give me enough meat left below the airbag bracket holes that I felt comfortable they wouldn't possibly ever wear thru or bend below the holes given the forces from the bag pushing on the top bracket upwards. I was still well within their recommend spacing tho and plenty of room to manually push the bags down from there a couple inches when mounting the air fitting and top bag to plate and bracket bolts.

And I understand your concerns and agree with the logic, and would have wanted to go probably 6 3/4", but i was pretty limited on my options on distance. I contemplated drilling new holes thru the bracket again like I seem to recall debating years ago to get the 5th wheel bracket's bolts more centered on the frame but then I'd have way too little meat left between 1/2" bolt holes to feel comfortable towing my trailer with it

Old 08-18-2021, 06:37 AM
ESwift
cncfab
Received 1,706 Likes on 1,004 Posts
When you just cant wait till 8pm for your go fast parts to be dropped off by UPS, cause it is rainy and you have install time

pic deleted, accidently left ups guys # in it lol

Old 08-18-2021, 06:56 AM
ESwift
cncfab
Received 1,706 Likes on 1,004 Posts
I did all this but the knife toss as a kid
​​​​​​

https://www.facebook.com/105233981405499/posts/285840760011486/

​​​​​

Old 08-18-2021, 07:56 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,030 Likes on 2,000 Posts
@ESwift , can you do me a favor and measure the overall height of the Dual HPOP setup please? Choose an appropriate datum to measure from like the interface between the front cover and the HPOP reservoir. I'm curious to see if it sticks up higher in the valley than the factory fuel bowl.

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***