Sponsored by: DP Tuner

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 07:21 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,997 Likes on 1,188 Posts
Originally Posted by brokestroke
A little project I am working on for ripping Sawtooth Palmettos out of the ground in Florida. It is a Root Rake with Grapple, its only about 50% done so far. On the top side it will have a hydraulic ram and a hinged arm that will provide clamping force. The goal is to ram into/under the Palmetto and tear the roots out, clamp the grapple and lift. Will also work good on brush and logs.

Consider giving those palmettos a slurp of diesel (a couple oz’s) and wait until they die to extract them if your goal is eradication. A milk jug with a section of small hose secured in the cap works great for delivering the death blow right in the stem. The fuel stays in the plant , so you can plant grass directly after running your root rake.

Your tool looks great. Looks like a fun project to build!!

Old 08-25-2021, 08:05 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,019 Likes on 1,990 Posts
A little project I am working on for ripping Sawtooth Palmettos out of the ground in Florida. It is a Root Rake with Grapple, its only about 50% done so far. On the top side it will have a hydraulic ram and a hinged arm that will provide clamping force. The goal is to ram into/under the Palmetto and tear the roots out, clamp the grapple and lift. Will also work good on brush and logs.

Old 08-25-2021, 12:13 PM
F350towing
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,162 Likes on 632 Posts
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
hell yea that sounds like a plan, and yes exactly. I figured i should get some more because i let a coon do a taste test on these. Kids, dont eat expired marshmallows.

Good thing you didn’t allow your kids to eat those marshmallows.

That coon looks to be a little under the weather and he ate so many they are coming out his eye.

Old 08-25-2021, 01:43 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
The latest flip truck is telling me it wants to be a regular cab Shortbed dually. Probably leveled on bigger than stock rubber...

Like this but my total budget is a fraction of just their wheel/tire combo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub8cR4AaOvU

Old 08-25-2021, 05:32 PM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Received 834 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Consider giving those palmettos a slurp of diesel (a couple oz’s) and wait until they die to extract them if your goal is eradication. A milk jug with a section of small hose secured in the cap works great for delivering the death blow right in the stem. The fuel stays in the plant , so you can plant grass directly after running your root rake.

Your tool looks great. Looks like a fun project to build!!
So I dont know a whole lot about the type of Palmettos I am dealing with. Some are the short trees, some are the tall trees. The ones I am targeting are the short shrub looking ones. The trunk (i guess) basically lays across the ground and the roots are tiny little strings that anchor it into the dirt. They pull out relatively easy but I am guessing you would know the answer to this. Do the roots regenerate? The roots themselves are only about the diameter of a permanent marker. I have around 20 acres of woods to clear. Luckily it isnt jungle thick like parts of Georgia with vines, etc and everything is sand.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:36 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
So I dont know a whole lot about the type of Palmettos I am dealing with. Some are the short trees, some are the tall trees. The ones I am targeting are the short shrub looking ones. The trunk (i guess) basically lays across the ground and the roots are tiny little strings that anchor it into the dirt. They pull out relatively easy but I am guessing you would know the answer to this. Do the roots regenerate? The roots themselves are only about the diameter of a permanent marker. I have around 20 acres of woods to clear. Luckily it isnt jungle thick like parts of Georgia with vines, etc and everything is sand.
I grew up in central Fla and removed palmetto from acres of ‘yards’.

Yes, I’m pretty sure they will regrow from a tiny piece of root. If you plant grass and keep it mowed, your plan will likely kill them eventually.

The idea of eradicating a native plant from 20ac is concerning. We created space around homes for grass and cleared lots for future homes, but I have some guilt for this as I later learned to love the native Florida habitat. The last projects I was involved in incorporated existing plants and added native species for a beautiful and easily sustainable landscape. Grass is thirsty and watering and fertilizing grass so that you have to mow it is pretty crazy.

I would encourage you to contact your County Extension Agent and learn more about ‘xeriscaping’ and preserving as much native habitat as possible on your land. Many native species of animals and birds depend on stuff as seemingly unimportant as a standing, dead tree.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:05 AM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Received 834 Likes on 475 Posts
I grew up in central Fla and removed palmetto from acres of ‘yards’.

Yes, I’m pretty sure they will regrow from a tiny piece of root. If you plant grass and keep it mowed, your plan will likely kill them eventually.

The idea of eradicating a native plant from 20ac is concerning. We created space around homes for grass and cleared lots for future homes, but I have some guilt for this as I later learned to love the native Florida habitat. The last projects I was involved in incorporated existing plants and added native species for a beautiful and easily sustainable landscape. Grass is thirsty and watering and fertilizing grass so that you have to mow it is pretty crazy.

I would encourage you to contact your County Extension Agent and learn more about ‘xeriscaping’ and preserving as much native habitat as possible on your land. Many native species of animals and birds depend on stuff as seemingly unimportant as a standing, dead tree.
Only plan on removing low growth Palmettos and some oaks so we have some usable lanes. Reason being the property will be used for running bird dogs (imagine a tiny plantation) and the blades on the Palmettos tear the dogs up pretty bad to the point where they will no longer hunt. Management will be focused towards Bobwhite Quail which also benefits other critters.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-26-2021, 10:37 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,560 Likes on 2,889 Posts
We as a community are usually fans of tools and having the right tool for the job.

I bought one of these chainsaw sharpeners years ago when I bought my Stihl saw. I ended up going with a different chain than the .325 green master link (softwood) that came with it and bought a 3/8" yellow master link (hardwood) and bought another sharpener. Changing the blade and sprocket on the saw only takes a few minutes, but I use the yellow master link chain 99% of the time.

This sharpener makes filing down the guide and the teeth very quick and easy so that I can move on to the next task.

The 3/4" rope came in yesterday and I am looking forward to using it in aiding my future tree felling adventures.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:33 PM
FordTruckNoob
The latest flip truck is telling me it wants to be a regular cab Shortbed dually. Probably leveled on bigger than stock rubber...

I think that frame needs shortening.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:32 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,499 Likes on 970 Posts
needs a 48" flat top sleeper

Old 08-26-2021, 06:22 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner

Whenever I see a truck like that, I think back to years ago when a fella from Texas sold his truck with his business name on the side and it ended up in the desert being used as an assault vehicle by Islamic extremists.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:35 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I'm saddened and pissed off about the U.S. servicemembers and Afghanistan civilians that were killed yesterday in a cowardly attack.

Prayers and condolences are not enough for the family members left behind, but that is all that I can offer to them at this time, on a truck forum...

Freedom is not free...

The following 2 users liked this post by Sous:
Old 08-27-2021, 07:42 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sous
I'm saddened and pissed off about the U.S. servicemembers and Afghanistan civilians that were killed yesterday in a cowardly attack.

Prayers and condolences are not enough for the family members left behind, but that is all that I can offer to them at this time, on a truck forum...

Freedom is not free...

Agreed. Not sure how accurate this is, but very plausible. This is the direct result of not listening to your military advisers. Disgusting....

Here is a more complete list of US-supplied and left behind equipment list now controlled by Taliban:

-2,000 Armored Vehicles Including Humvees and MRAP’s
-75,989 Total Vehicles: FMTV, M35, Ford Rangers, Ford F350, Ford Vans, Toyota Pickups, Armored Security Vehicles etc
-45 UH-60 Blachhawk Helicopters
-50 MD530G Scout Attack Choppers
-ScanEagle Military Drones
-30 Military Version Cessnas
-4 C-130’s
-29 Brazilian made A-29 Super Tocano Ground Attack Aircraft

=208+ Aircraft Total!!

-At least 600,000+ Small arms M16, M249 SAWs, M24 Sniper Systems, 50 Calibers, 1,394 M203 Grenade Launchers, M134 Mini Gun, 20mm Gatling Guns and Ammunition
-61,000 M203 Rounds
-20,040 Grenades
-Howitzers
-Mortars +1,000’s of Rounds
-162,000 pieces of Encrypted Military Comunications Gear
-16,000+ Night Vision Goggles
-Newest Technology Night Vision Scopes
-Thermal Scopes and Thermal Mono Googles
-10,000 2.75 inch Air to Ground Rockets
-Recconaissance Equipment (ISR)
-Laser Aiming Units
-Explosives Ordnance C-4, Semtex, Detonators, Shaped Charges, Thermite, Incendiaries, AP/API/APIT
-2,520 Bombs
-Administration Encrypted Cell Phones and Laptops ALL operational
-Pallets with Millions of Dollars in US Currency
-Millions of Rounds of Ammunition including but not limited to 20,150,600 rounds of 7.62mm, 9,000,000 rounds of 50.caliber
-Large Stockpile of Plate Carriers and Body Armor
-US Military HIIDE, for Handheld Interagency Identity Detection Equipment Biometrics
-Lots of Heavy Equipment Including Bull Dozers, Backhoes, Dump Trucks, Excavators

Old 08-27-2021, 08:00 AM
FordTruckNoob
This year's cycling season has been quite the disaster for me. I've had multiple punctures, broken cables (yes, I am still old school and prefer mechanical shifting and braking), and this past Wednesday had the rear derailleur suck itself into the rear wheel and break parts of the frame.

Old 08-27-2021, 11:27 AM
F350towing
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,162 Likes on 632 Posts
On the lighter side of life.

New Construction job site poster in the bathroom.

This one made me laugh.

The following 2 users liked this post by F350towing:

Quick Reply: *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***