Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread *** (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1503643-the-official-superduty-morning-coffee-thread.html)

BBslider001 08-16-2017 07:57 AM

*** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread ***

Well, maybe I am copy catting, but I think our forum is the only one without a BS thread. I wanna come in here and kick around stuff that has nothing to do with anything, but we don't have a thread for that...like the OBS and 6.0 and 6.7 guys....so I figured I would start one. Hope you guys are down with it.

I haven't done much to IKE lately, but GPs and the needed maintenance will be starting before Fall gets too cold up here in South Dakota. I also need to address the front hub situation soon, but I haven't decided on whether to update to 2000 or just leave it E99. Anyways, hope you guys are well. :oval

F250_ 08-16-2017 08:06 AM

Not a bad idea, and there's nothing wrong with copying good ideas as long as the source(s) get their due credit, and you've covered that base as well. It didn't take you long, though, to digress from "stuff that has nothing to do with anything" range of topics back into your truck stuff rather quickly, and I think that's because most of us in here are simply wired more in that direction as compared to the other forum's BS threads. Then again, I may be wrong about that.

It will be interesting to see if (and how) this develops and grows.

Here's a thought that we can dig into...

While driving six hours yesterday on back county roads to attend a prebid meeting for a prospective job for our company, I began remembering when I used to do a lot more day-tripping to client locations, and recalled the "Superduty Wave" -- the friendly acknowledgement and greeting towards other SD drivers... it was something I've neither seen much of nor thought much about in the last couple of years. Yesterday, though, I began watching for those "waves" from other SD drivers in the oncoming traffic lanes, and saw very few waves initiated from other SD drivers and very few responses to my initiated waves. I was slightly surprised. It has always seemed that most of the country folks driving the back county roads have generally always been more "friendly" in the years gone by.

Are you guys seeing the same thing?

Are we all just too busy and/or too distracted with our growing accumulation of electronic gadgetry to even notice the oncoming SD drivers?

brandon_oma#692 08-16-2017 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by F250_ (Post 17399809)
Here's a thought that we can dig into...

While driving six hours yesterday on back county roads to attend a prebid meeting for a prospective job for our company, I began remembering when I used to do a lot more day-tripping to client locations, and recalled the "Superduty Wave" -- the friendly acknowledgement and greeting towards other SD drivers... it was something I've neither seen much of nor thought much about in the last couple of years. Yesterday, though, I began watching for those "waves" from other SD drivers in the oncoming traffic lanes, and saw very few waves initiated from other SD drivers and very few responses to my initiated waves. I was slightly surprised. It has always seemed that most of the country folks driving the back county roads have generally always been more "friendly" in the years gone by.

Are we all just too busy and/or too distracted with our growing accumulation of electronic gadgetry to even notice the oncoming SD drivers?

Never knew of the "Superduty wave" my wife's brother insists that the "camper wave" is a thing... He now has a Superduty ill have to ask if he gets waved at more now, and with or without the camper lol. Here I was thinking he was full of it.

BBslider001 08-16-2017 08:33 AM

I live on a 6000 acre cattle ranch and horse operation 5 miles from the nearest town. I say this to paint a picture of just how "country" I live. I wave at anyone and everyone in our dirt road and main road and rarely get a wave back. It's pretty sad. I'm actually surprised when I do.

BBslider001 08-16-2017 08:34 AM

Oh yeah, and the BS can be about your truck or anything else. Just thought it better that taking up room with new threads about the same ol' stuff, though I love the same ol' stuff...LOL

Walleye Hunter 08-16-2017 11:21 AM

Never knew of or saw the SD wave here either. But my eyes don't work like other peoples' do, I can't see beyond the windshield of an oncoming car. Friends tell me I'm a snob when they see me later. I just tell them I can't see who is behind that glass.

On topic of being off topic. I got the plow transferred to my DD from my parts truck and signed up to a plowing BB. I'm lurking there and asking a question or two and I'm starting to wonder if I should maybe take on a little plow work. I dunno though, insurance seems to be the first thing they talk about.

SaintITC 08-16-2017 11:41 AM

I've seen the wave, and I live in a "city" area. Pickups are a lot more common here now than they were, but mostly of the F150 variety. I think because we have a unique body style, the Ford SDs are more noticeable than the competition. Hence the wave.

As far as waving to anything in sight out west on long, empty and far from anything highways, I think that's more of an acknowledgement that if you were to break down, the next motorist along will stop to see if you're able to fix yourself instead of your dying on the side of the road. I fixed a lower rad hose on someone's minivan full of kids on I-15 in the summer of '90.

timmyboy76 08-16-2017 01:02 PM

Never heard of o seen the SD wave, but ill be damn, to pass up a conversation via gas pump or waiting atta light, to the next 7.3 driver. And all of them have that "step" in their response to how many miles, what they've done, haul..etc. Still show their proudness owning a tied/trued champion vs stepping up to the next "so called best" thing..

F250_ 08-16-2017 01:25 PM

Yeah... my recollection of the "wave" is from the first several years I was active in the forum (roughly 2006-2010), and that predates a lot of you. I practiced it faithfully in my back country day trips through small county road tracks, and it was a real thing... I was often not the first to initiate the wave, and it seemed like it was most specifically oriented towards SD drivers. Only occasionally would a Dodge or Chevy driver initiate a wave, but they normally responded back if I waved first.

It was just a strange sort of nostalgic moment when I remembered that yesterday, but I clearly recall the sense of pride that surged through those mutual acknowledgements while driving through the back roads.

CousinCarl 08-16-2017 01:30 PM

Everybody waves at everybody around here in small, rural town, TX. Well, just about everybody. Occasionally, you get a yuppie here and there from the metroplex area who act like it'll kill them to return the wave

Hussler 08-16-2017 01:51 PM

Went down to Phoenix Az. mid June and returned mid July. Good God how does anybody live there, HOT HOT HOT, then more HOT. I was sweating bullets by 6:00 AM just walking around. Lived there for almost 30 years, but how soon you forget. Learned real quick to start drinking lots of water in the morning instead of coffee.

Byron, last I heard you were in Montana, did they kick you out of the state, lol, now you're in South Dakota?

Never heard of the SD wave but I'm kinda like Mark, I focus on the road and driving and people tell me "hey I saw you and waved but". Anytime I see a Power Stroke parked and the owner is there we usually strike up a conversation and compare years and mods. Most PSD owners are proud to have one and eager to share information.

F250_ 08-16-2017 02:20 PM

You guys bring up a good point regarding focused driving, and the last thing I want to do is to encourage distracted driving for any reason. I, too, am extremely focused on my driving and having my head on a swivel at all times to maximize 360° situational awareness.

That said, I neither look for nor try to observe the other drivers' face(s), but since the steering wheel is typically in the sun, it's generally pretty easy to notice whether or not they lift a hand to wave.

Bill Kay 08-16-2017 02:27 PM

Two groups that almost always wave at each other is the Jeepers and the Harley riders. I've owned a Jeep Wrangler and that was the first thing I noticed. Harley guys use to only wave at other Harley's but here lately they seem to include other riders no matter the make.

SaintITC 08-16-2017 02:39 PM

When I had my Yamaha nearly 30 years ago all bikes waved to each other, almost got to be annoying. Whenever I met up with a Harley at a light or such, I was almost always saying "nice bike" followed by "like 'em, can't afford 'em!"

brian42 08-16-2017 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by F250_ (Post 17399809)

Still haven't noticed it almost 9 years later...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...-sd-pride.html