2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Dashcam mounting

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:49 PM
ForeverFixing
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dashcam mounting

Finding the right dashcam is only part of the job. My last dashcam used the suction cup type of mount. The Super Duty bumpy windshield treatment made mounting a chore because it had to be mounted low. It still fell off after being in the sun. So I siliconed the suction cup to the window and that worked for quite a while (a year or so) before it fell off. I see a large flat surface behind my rear view mirror and would like to know if that area can support a camera using 3M tape without fouling up some other function of the truck. I drive an F-450 (2017) and love it. I would love it a bit more if I could mount a dashcam without it falling off. I would like it mounted up high, out of the way and in a way it will not fall off. Is anyone finding a place to mount their cam successfully?

Old 07-07-2017, 01:07 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I mounted mine with GoPro 3M tape right behind the mirror on the windshields black bumpy stuff. Has held up in 110F with no issues. You can't see it either which is nice.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:40 AM
glrret
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
I mounted mine with GoPro 3M tape right behind the mirror on the windshields black bumpy stuff. Has held up in 110F with no issues. You can't see it either which is nice.
Can you provide a picture of your setup

Old 07-07-2017, 06:47 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a Street Guardian SGZC12SG dash cam. I use the the suction cup mount that came with it. It has worked just fine so far. The trick to keeping the suction cup attached to the windshield is making sure the windshield is very clean and using clean clear water on the suction cup to help it stick to the windshield.

Name:  IMG950354.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  1.39 MB

Old 07-07-2017, 07:08 AM
XXL Bimmer
Freshman User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been using the Rexing dash cam predominately because of the inconspicuous mounting. I don't like the big screen TV hanging in front of me.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:21 AM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have brow tint on my windshield - and I'm using a ThinkWare 770 2 channel, because of it's superior night vision/resolution/clarity....

Using 3M tape I mounted it so only the camera lens is visible below the brow tint, its holding up well.

Same thing w/ the 2nd Channel Rear camera - EXCEPT that camera is "looking thru" the 5% Tint thats over factory tint.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:49 AM
LiquidSteam
Posting Guru
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd really like to add a dash cam because of the area I drive in. I've been to hesitant to pull the trigger because I don't know anything about the quality of the products.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:52 AM
RugbyRef
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Blackvue 650 2-Channel in mine. It mounts right behind (in front of?) the rearview mirror. The mount uses a type of clear "goo" to fasten the camera to the windshield.

In regards to quality of the camera (Liquid Stream), I had researched several and decided on the Blackvue. I have one in each of my vehicles.

Mine actually came in handy about a month ago when some jackass decide to brake-check me in a turn lane and I hit him (in my old truck). No damage to my truck, but the rear hatch of his Kia Soul was demolished. I called the police and when they showed up, the Kia Soul owner claimed I was tailgating him and that he stopped normally. The police officer came over to get my side of the story and I pulled up the video on the Blackvue app on my phone. It clearly showed the guy brake-checking me in the middle of the turn lane (no one was in front of him). The police officer thanked me and ticketed the other guy for reckless driving. The other guy was livid and darn near got arrested for throwing a major fit. The local prosecutor's office called me last Monday and asked to get a copy of the video...dropped it off to them yesterday.

That is the main reason I bought the Blackvue.

Tim

Old 07-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I wanted a small and discrete dashcam. I ended up getting a GitUp Git2. It was $90 on Amazon, does 4k, image stabilization, turns on automatically and starts recording, locks the files if it detects a crash, and has the distinct bonus for me that its a GoPro clone so I take it riding with me sometimes when I want to have two GoPros for forward and backwards shots of the same ride.

Was super easy to mount and I have it hooked up to an upfitter switch that I usually just leave on. When I turn off the truck it keeps recording for a couple hours on its own battery.

Here's some 720P video of it when I installed it in my Tundra. I chose 720P because its really good video still, and I can get like a week or two of driving on a 64GB card. 4K looks amazing, but you get a lot less on a card.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:16 AM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by LiquidSteam
I'd really like to add a dash cam because of the area I drive in. I've been to hesitant to pull the trigger because I don't know anything about the quality of the products.
like so many things...you get what you pay for...I have a (POS) cobra dash cam in one of our vehicles - it was on sale at Costco for 99 bucks...the night vision is absolutely f'ing WORTHLESS....It has a parking mode but again the video quality (even at a reportedly higher consumption of 720p) is **** poor....lessen learned.

I bought the ThinkWare f770 because of its parking mode AND its superior night vision recording...and I'm telling you the quality (even at night) is VERY impressive.

my only wish was that it had wifi/cloud connectivity - my fear had been that it would be stolen by some perp and any evidence of the thief would be lost...NOW ThinkWare has a new F800 that has CLOUD based back up and live-viewing...the camera just took all kinds of innovation (really?) awards at CES and is just coming available (June).

Old 07-07-2017, 11:03 AM
DISLTom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bushpilot
my only wish was that it had wifi/cloud connectivity - my fear had been that it would be stolen by some perp and any evidence of the thief would be lost...NOW ThinkWare has a new F800 that has CLOUD based back up and live-viewing...the camera just took all kinds of innovation (really?) awards at CES and is just coming available (June).
Wifi/"cloud" won't do you a lot of good in a random parking lot.

Also, the camera is freaking silver. Can they make it any more obvious?

And no 2k/4k support.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Ottawasteve
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bushpilot
like so many things...you get what you pay for...I have a (POS) cobra dash cam in one of our vehicles - it was on sale at Costco for 99 bucks...the night vision is absolutely f'ing WORTHLESS....It has a parking mode but again the video quality (even at a reportedly higher consumption of 720p) is **** poor....lessen learned.

I bought the ThinkWare f770 because of its parking mode AND its superior night vision recording...and I'm telling you the quality (even at night) is VERY impressive.

Looked on the Thinkware site and no info on the F800. Any links ?

Not up on the new tech, so just to confirm, if you have a wifi signal in your driveway, the camera would be constantly downloading to the cloud, so it would be a benefit there ? In a parking lot without wifi signal, you would be SOL if the dirtbags stole the camera ?

I am considering the Blackvue 660 front/rear and the Thinkware F770 front/rear. Comparable price point. Did anybody else compare these 2 and why did you pick one over the other ?

Old 07-07-2017, 11:33 AM
flanneljunkie
Tuned
Received 75 Likes on 28 Posts
Viofo a119s mounted in a 2017 f350

Old 07-07-2017, 11:48 AM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by DISLTom
Wifi/"cloud" won't do you a lot of good in a random parking lot.

Also, the camera is freaking silver. Can they make it any more obvious?

And no 2k/4k support.
yeah yeah its not everything, but its got the best night vision....I have a personal hotspot that I can use for those rare instances, having the option is better than NOT.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:52 AM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve
Looked on the Thinkware site and no info on the F800. Any links ?

Not up on the new tech, so just to confirm, if you have a wifi signal in your driveway, the camera would be constantly downloading to the cloud, so it would be a benefit there ? In a parking lot without wifi signal, you would be SOL if the dirtbags stole the camera ?

I am considering the Blackvue 660 front/rear and the Thinkware F770 front/rear. Comparable price point. Did anybody else compare these 2 and why did you pick one over the other ?
need me to google it for you??

Products | THINKWARE
https://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=thinkware+f800&

Lots of vehicles are broken into in driveways, I am rarely in a location where free wifi isn't available & for those time when it is...I can use my personal hotspot.

there are several side by side test comparing the BV650 to the TW F770 -
https://www.google.com/search?rls=en...thinkware+770&

Quick Reply: Dashcam mounting