1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Big Blue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 05:05 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Jim - Glad to have you reading the mail.

Dave - It is a really nice truck the way it sits, and I'm ecstatic with that. And if it'll run then I'm over the moon.

As for the skid plates, one approach would be to buy a plastic tank for Big Blue and use the new metal one on Dad's. But, I'd have to think through the fuel sending unit/pump issue. And, I can powder coat or POR15 the skid plates so there'd be little rotting of them.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:28 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,661 Likes on 1,343 Posts
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
I'll be interested in hearing how the True Trac does on snowy/icy freeways (if this truck ever sees that). I know that anything other than an open diff will cause the steering to pull away from the tire that has better traction. And I know that a Lock Right (or any other automatic locker) is dangerous in how much, how fast and how far it will pull. Personally I'm not willing to try anything like a TrueTrac in a front axle, but I've heard they do OK there. But then again I've never heard a report on how they work on a snowy freeway.
I have never had that type of locker in the front, my 1980 had the factory limited slip in the front, and it was tight and worked, and I redid the rear limited slip and it did ok but still slipped some.

As I have posted before, in the snow it was different. Going straight you were fine and pretty much unstoppable. Turning was a different story. You could not turn into a driveway off a snow covered road without getting off the throttle and almost coming to a complete stop. If you didn't, you would just go right by the entry to the drive or side road completely.

But what it would do if you were on the throttle in fairly deep snow, and turned the steering wheel, the rearend would steer instead of the front. As long as you kept your foot in the gas, you could swish the steering wheel back and forth and watch the bed of the truck swing back and forth with the steering wheel.

The locker up front may give similar results.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:36 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,780 Posts
What might help that is if the front end had a different ratio than the rear so it was pulling all the time.
I know easier said then done with ratios you can get but something like this 3.54/3.55 or 4.10/4.11

Guess that is why an air locker up front is the way to go but I think over kill for the street.
Dave ----

Old 01-14-2017, 05:55 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I have never had that type of locker in the front, my 1980 had the factory limited slip in the front, and it was tight and worked, and I redid the rear limited slip and it did ok but still slipped some.

As I have posted before, in the snow it was different. Going straight you were fine and pretty much unstoppable. Turning was a different story. You could not turn into a driveway off a snow covered road without getting off the throttle and almost coming to a complete stop. If you didn't, you would just go right by the entry to the drive or side road completely.

But what it would do if you were on the throttle in fairly deep snow, and turned the steering wheel, the rearend would steer instead of the front. As long as you kept your foot in the gas, you could swish the steering wheel back and forth and watch the bed of the truck swing back and forth with the steering wheel.

The locker up front may give similar results.
At lower speeds the locker did stuff like that. Annoying, but livable. At higher speed it was the sudden lane changes where only one front tire pulling would jerk the steering wheel almost out of your hands. That's not livable (perhaps literally)

Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
What might help that is if the front end had a different ratio than the rear so it was pulling all the time.
I know easier said then done with ratios you can get but something like this 3.54/3.55 or 4.10/4.11....
I can't imagine that little difference matters. The difference in tire rolling radius due to the weight of the engine is likely more significant.

Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
....Guess that is why an air locker up front is the way to go but I think over kill for the street.
Dave ----
That's somewhere on my project list for both my Bronco (for rock crawling) and pickup (for muddy and snowy 2-tracks when I'm hunting). But there are a LOT of things higher on the budgetary priority list.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:09 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
With 3.54/3.55 combo you are always pulling a little bit.

Not sure how a true-trac handles in the front but in my experience any type of *locking* front diff is more likely to kill you than save you unless you are buried in mud.
Forget about trying to drive one on the street.

ETA: (I see I was a little late in replying)
​​​​​​​Yes, the steering wheel wants to break your wrists.
​​​​​​​

Old 01-14-2017, 06:22 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I hope the Tru Trac isn't a locker. And, I hope it isn't that bad. Guess we will find out. (Edited as I was on the phone with someone talking about "life" and missed a bunch of posts.)

But, I did find this in Vernon's notes - the #'s off the tag on the front diff:

Old 01-14-2017, 06:50 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
The True Trac is not a locker, and from what I've heard it has quite good manners in a front axle (should be better than anything other than an open diff). But I'd like to hear as many reports on that as I can get, especially in 4WD highway driving.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
The True Trac is not a locker, and from what I've heard it has quite good manners in a front axle (should be better than anything other than an open diff). But I'd like to hear as many reports on that as I can get, especially in 4WD highway driving.
Yes, I've read several tests by independent parties in the last two days that say it has good manners up front in all conditions. I'm going to assume the best.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:06 PM
mtman390
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice truck!

Old 01-15-2017, 01:59 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Gary, It sounds like you're getting close to what someone else on the board called "automotive ADD", having so many projects going that he couldn't focus on any of them!
Ha!!!!!!

I think I see what you're trying to refer to - ADHD being Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

To me, ADD = Accidental Death or Dismemberment, quite a different thing

Old 01-15-2017, 02:07 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I'm sure I have FADHAD - Ford Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Automotive Disorder.

Proof: I'm currently sorting a huge pile of new parts, which reside under a partially restored '81, so I can get said '81 off the lift so I can get the other '81 in the shop to get it running/stripped so's I can sell it in order to get the '85 in the shop so I can figure out what is wrong with the engine.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:19 PM
JayFinAZ
Senior User
As long as it keeps you off the streets Gary. 😀

Old 01-15-2017, 02:33 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I'm sure I have FADHAD - Ford Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Automotive Disorder.

Proof: I'm currently sorting a huge pile of new parts, which reside under a partially restored '81, so I can get said '81 off the lift so I can get the other '81 in the shop to get it running/stripped so's I can sell it in order to get the '85 in the shop so I can figure out what is wrong with the engine.
As you think to yourself: All this 'cause I have this Super Bee over there, also wanting my attention?

Another thread I've just skimmed but get the gist of, will have to go look through the whole thing....

Old 01-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Don't forget the '50 Chevy pickup.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:41 PM
maytag906
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis

Nothing like playing musical vehicles, I always say.....

Good luck with 'er, Gary she's in good hands!

Quick Reply: Big Blue