2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Trailer Camera and TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:18 AM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
If you can use one extension, I'm thinking you can use two? However, what I was going to do was mount mine low above the license plate for a better viewing angle. More like a car. My wireless one is up at the top in the back. It's too high and doesn't give the correct feel when using it. It's also partially obscured by the rear patio cassette awning. If I ever decide to do the Ford system, mine will be mounted low so it will feel like like a regular vehicle back up camera. It will also prevent the wire from showing where it would have to run up the rig to get to the high point in the back...
I wondered about the usefulness of the high angle view. However, with the toy hauler ramp taking up virtually the entire rear of my rig, I'm not certain there's anywhere lower to put it. The space at the sides of the doors is very narrow. At the bottom of the ramp door would expose the camera to a lot of abuse from road grit and muck.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:21 AM
KBMWRS
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by STOF-FORD
Sometimes, for all of Ford's heavy marketing emphasis on towing and hauling capabilities, I think that no one at Ford actually pulls anything themselves.
Gentlemen...I think he nailed it.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:22 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,904 Likes on 2,804 Posts
I'll be in the same situation with my toy hauler. The door IS the wall. The best spots are either really low or really high. Maybe on one of the handles for the ramp door?

Old 12-29-2016, 11:34 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,203 Likes on 577 Posts
Yes fellas, I'm aware of the toyhauler's restrictions. That's what I have after all. But I can tell you that 13'6" is too high and if you have the rear awning, it's even worse. Knowing what I know now after having mine high mounted, I'd go low next time if I try the Ford system in the future. I wouldn't be too worried about road debris. My license plate hangs below the RV, is pretty darn thin, and looks like new after 20k+ miles so I'm sure a camera mounted up above it would be fine. And as I said earlier, less cabling and nothing to try and hide getting it up high.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:38 AM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Yes fellas, I'm aware of the toyhauler's restrictions. That's what I have after all. But I can tell you that 13'6" is too high and if you have the rear awning, it's even worse. Knowing what I know now after having mine high mounted, I'd go low next time if I try the Ford system in the future. I wouldn't be too worried about road debris. My license plate hangs below the RV, is pretty darn thin, and looks like new after 20k+ miles so I'm sure a camera mounted up above it would be fine. And as I said earlier, less cabling and nothing to try and hide getting it up high.
That's a really intriguing idea. My license plate is exactly the same. I'll have to experiment with it when my truck gets here. It would also free up close to 15 ft of cable. And man, would it be an easier install. Got to think about it.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:40 AM
System
Prolocutor
For once, I may be saving you effort and money...

Old 12-29-2016, 11:41 AM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Rodney, I remember seeing in another thread that someone said that the trailer TPMS sensors won't work with aluminum wheels. I have been trying to find that post as I wanted to ask them where they got that. However, I can't find it. Do you remember seeing that message?

Old 12-29-2016, 11:47 AM
System
Prolocutor
I've never seen that. I've only seen restrictions on valve stem hole diameter and that steel carcass tires were supposed to be a conflict. I can't understand the steel tire thing. Pressure is pressure? I run the best tires out there, Goodyear RST G614 which are steel carcass. If I had to give up one or the other, it certainly would be the Ford TPMS but again, I'm not sure that conflict is valid.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:07 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Totally agree on the steel carcass issue. I'm not going to worry about that for now. I'm assuming you run the G614's at 110 psi cold which is the recommended pressure to achieve 3750 weight rating. Since you have TPMS now, do you know what they run when hot?

I'm thinking about the 125 psi max for the Ford TPMS sensors. I don't know if that means cold inflation or max working pressure.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:12 PM
System
Prolocutor
Yes, I run them at 110 cold. However the Ford setup is 125 max when cold so no issue there. I love my TST system and it not only shows pressure but temp as well. When they get hot they can push 125-129 PSI.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:21 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks - that all makes sense. I may be fighting the aftermarket solution unnecessarily, but since I've already ordered the trailer camera/TPMS package with my truck, I'd like to see if I can make it work. Again, more than anything, it comes down to wanting to avoid another display and device in the truck. I've verified that my Sendel T07 wheels have the compatible "J" profile and .453" valve stem hole. They are all cast and machined aluminum. I have to check on tires as the rig is at offsite storage right now. I'm embarrassed to say, I don't know what tires are on it, other than they are load range G.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:26 PM
System
Prolocutor
I agree, I too prefer to eliminate a second screen and a third for my back up cam. I wish the Ford NAV could be set up for an RV like my current one and the Ford TPMS could have done temp and used external sensors. They came out with two really great options but their implementation leaves a lot to be desired. If I didn't already own my Nav/back up cam and my TPMS, I'd likely order the Ford system as well. Heck, I may still one day if any of my current gear fails. For now I see it as a compromising lateral move that would offer some things but cost others all while costing me $. Not worth it.... YET...LOL.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:31 PM
STOF-FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Well, let me be your guinea pig. Once my truck gets here in probably March or early April, I'll provide a comprehensive review of the installation and performance of both TPMS and trailer camera systems. It won't cost you anything!

Old 12-29-2016, 12:33 PM
System
Prolocutor
Fair enough. It may indeed cost me in the end though...

Old 12-29-2016, 12:36 PM
Joneser5000
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm confused, I have been trying to research this for the past 15-20 minutes and I have read conflicting info.

I have the Tow Technology Bundle on my truck, I see under that title it has listed Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera. Does that mean I should have received the trailer camera as well or does that just refer to the 360 camera system and I should expect to pay an additional cost for the camera?

Quick Reply: Trailer Camera and TPMS