2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Trailer Camera and TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 01:10 PM
Johnpsz
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt. Ted
My Platinum truck is ready to deliver, less TuffSkinz, and two TPMS sensors. From the beginning of the order and build process I informed the dealer that I had a triple axle trailer that I expected all six wheels to have TPMS sensors. And I educated him to the fact that only four sensors came with the package, reminding him several times. He has installed the four sensors, now he can't get the other two from Ford. The TuffSkinz were shipped USPS (by carrier pigeon I suspect).

He wanted me to take delivery (give him a check) and wait a month to come back and install the sensors. I am putting the pressure on him delaying the check giving, until my sensors are in my trailer and programmed accordingly.

Am I out of line?

I trust the salesman, but not the dealership....should I be concerned?
Did you Pay for the additional sensors?
I'm amazed they are working with you on installing things on the trailer (the 4 sensors you said were already installed) when you haven't paid for anything yet. Plus, the trailer install items are not at the dealer's expense. The only thing the dealer is supposed to install as part of this package (if ordered with the truck) is replacing the 7/4 withthe 7/12 connector at teh rear of the truck. If they are installing your sensors they are going beyond what they are required to do for you.

In all honesty, I'd say you have a pretty good dealer as if you backed out of the deal today they would have to charge you for the work on the trailer or eat the cost to remove the sensors and sell them with the truck to someone else as I assume you ordered the kit with the truck and not separately, correct? I am getting the trailer TMPS and Camera kit separately as it's cheaper from an online Ford Parts dealer than in the build. But still you haven't taken delivery of the truck, you have accessories that may or may not have been paid for yet, and the dealership is installing the sensors for you, I still say you've got a good dealer...

Old 04-19-2017, 01:19 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnpsz
The only thing the dealer is supposed to install as part of this package (if ordered with the truck) is replacing the 7/4 withthe 7/12 connector at teh rear of the truck.
My dealer didn't even do that! It's so new that I don't think they knew anything about it.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:35 PM
nogirlsatgt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt. Ted
My Platinum truck is ready to deliver, less TuffSkinz, and two TPMS sensors. From the beginning of the order and build process I informed the dealer that I had a triple axle trailer that I expected all six wheels to have TPMS sensors. And I educated him to the fact that only four sensors came with the package, reminding him several times. He has installed the four sensors, now he can't get the other two from Ford. The TuffSkinz were shipped USPS (by carrier pigeon I suspect).

He wanted me to take delivery (give him a check) and wait a month to come back and install the sensors. I am putting the pressure on him delaying the check giving, until my sensors are in my trailer and programmed accordingly.

Am I out of line?

I trust the salesman, but not the dealership....should I be concerned?
Does the trailer TPMS system use the same TPMS sensors as the stock truck wheels? I was able to buy several dozen of the factory sensors for the new SuperDury from my local parts counter a few weeks back. They were on national back order in late 2016 but became available around February. At that time, the part numbers and photos they had in the online parts system were wrong.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:36 PM
REPO.
Senior User
Originally Posted by HRTKD
My dealer didn't even do that! It's so new that I don't think they knew anything about it.
Mine as well. They just handed me a big box of parts and said good luck.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Merlin053
Senior User
My dealer also gave me the box and I still don't have my truck. Had them install the sensors on Monday at my expense and the camera is already installed on my fifth wheel

Old 04-19-2017, 04:19 PM
Johnpsz
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hence, why I just ordered mine separately than the truck, not only was it $140+ less than if I ordered it with the truck, I assumed it was all on me to install anyhow.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:00 PM
Capt. Ted
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnpsz
Did you Pay for the additional sensors?
I'm amazed they are working with you on installing things on the trailer (the 4 sensors you said were already installed) when you haven't paid for anything yet. Plus, the trailer install items are not at the dealer's expense. The only thing the dealer is supposed to install as part of this package (if ordered with the truck) is replacing the 7/4 withthe 7/12 connector at teh rear of the truck. If they are installing your sensors they are going beyond what they are required to do for you.

In all honesty, I'd say you have a pretty good dealer as if you backed out of the deal today they would have to charge you for the work on the trailer or eat the cost to remove the sensors and sell them with the truck to someone else as I assume you ordered the kit with the truck and not separately, correct? I am getting the trailer TMPS and Camera kit separately as it's cheaper from an online Ford Parts dealer than in the build. But still you haven't taken delivery of the truck, you have accessories that may or may not have been paid for yet, and the dealership is installing the sensors for you, I still say you've got a good dealer...

We had agreed on a price to install the TPMS/Camera package on my trailer before ordering. I stressed on emails and text that 4 came with the kit, and 6 were required. I even sent the assembly drawing of the trailer, so he knew how long of a cord he would need. Thank you Myco Trailers-They're the best! He lit my fuse when he said, "there was no way of knowing how many sensors would come with it".

He did text me tonight saying that he solved the issue, and is only waiting on the TufSkinz. I guess he's back on the good dealer list. I let the salesman know, "I knew you would come through". It just took an old fashioned butt chewing.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:24 AM
harmonypaving
New User
trailer tpms on ford 2017

can I just buy 4 sensors from ford and install them in my trailer tires and the truck will read them or do I need to rewire to that 12 pin harness thanks No one at ford dealer knows anything about this

Old 06-19-2017, 06:28 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
You need the receiver/repeater that comes in the kit with the 12 pin harness. The truck won't read the sensors by itself.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:12 AM
54LFL
Senior User
Building my 350 right now, and considering this option. Really wish you could briefly go to the camera as a rear observation camera (like you can on the Garmin systems)...but do appreciate the integration with Sync 3

I haven't heard from too many that actually have this system installed...do you like it? There doesn't appear to be any distance markers in the camera field of view - how does that work say when you're backing into a tight campspot with no spotter - is this camera enough?

Wondering if I just forego it in the build, and buy it after the fact - there is no downside there, since the dealer installs nothing, right? Thanks

Old 07-01-2017, 07:16 AM
System
Prolocutor
I would buy after the fact as an accessory. Saved me hundreds. No downside...

Old 07-01-2017, 08:41 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
I bought it with the original truck purchase. I probably would do that again so I don't have to do another transaction. Who knows? Maybe the dealership/Ford will wise up and raise the price for buying it through the parts department.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:24 AM
System
Prolocutor
That's what the internet is for Jim! Plenty of online Ford dealers going out of their way to undercut each other...

Old 07-05-2017, 04:03 PM
HondoFlatty
Junior User
I hope I'm not repeating a question that's already been asked/answered!!

We upgraded the trailer last month to a 2017 Momentum 350M from a 2015 Cougar. I never got around to installing the TPMS sensors in the Cougar. I have been on Google and searched the forum here and it seems I'm not finding what I'm looking for. It may be here somewhere but I may not be using the correct search parameters..

I'm upgrading the tires to 14 ply from the OE 10 ply. I need a screw-in metal valve stem rated for at least 120psi. The wheels have the .625" hole for the valve stem. I can't find anything in that flavor that also accepts screw-on TPMS sensors.

Have any of you guys found something that works?

A.) Screw-in metal
B.) Rated for 120+ PSI
C.) .625 grommet
D.) Also fits Ford's TPMS sensor
E.) Not a mile long, looking for 1 1/4" to 1 1/2".

Thanks all!!!

Old 07-05-2017, 04:26 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by HondoFlatty
I hope I'm not repeating a question that's already been asked/answered!!

We upgraded the trailer last month to a 2017 Momentum 350M from a 2015 Cougar. I never got around to installing the TPMS sensors in the Cougar. I have been on Google and searched the forum here and it seems I'm not finding what I'm looking for. It may be here somewhere but I may not be using the correct search parameters..

I'm upgrading the tires to 14 ply from the OE 10 ply. I need a screw-in metal valve stem rated for at least 120psi. The wheels have the .625" hole for the valve stem. I can't find anything in that flavor that also accepts screw-on TPMS sensors.

Have any of you guys found something that works?

A.) Screw-in metal
B.) Rated for 120+ PSI
C.) .625 grommet
D.) Also fits Ford's TPMS sensor
E.) Not a mile long, looking for 1 1/4" to 1 1/2".

Thanks all!!!

I got mine from the same place that sells the in bed camera plug housing, Nichols Manufacturing. They have the .625 stems rated to 200 PSI. Here's a link to everything they carry...

https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldi...sPage=products

Quick Reply: Trailer Camera and TPMS