Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Trailer Camera and TPMS (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1439388-trailer-camera-and-tpms.html)

System 06-09-2016 04:30 PM

Trailer Camera and TPMS

So, has anyone researched these yet. I know what they do but no details have been given. Is the camera wireless? Will it need a repeater on long trailers? How many TPMS sensors do you get? Also, it's listed on the build and price as a "prep kit." Is the price just to prep the truck and you buy the camera and TPMS sensors later? I would think more details are in order. :-huh

fordmantpw 06-09-2016 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat (Post 16346838)
So, has anyone researched these yet. I know what they do but no details have been given. Is the camera wireless? Will it need a repeater on long trailers? How many TPMS sensors do you get? Also, it's listed on the build and price as a "prep kit." Is the price just to prep the truck and you buy the camera and TPMS sensors later? I would think more details are in order. :-huh

The camera is NOT wireless (completely ridiculous IMO), and I think I recall seeing somewhere that you get 4 TPMS sensors.

System 06-09-2016 04:51 PM

Well, I already have a wireless camera that feeds to my RV NAV. I would sell the setup if this replaced it neatly but I guess not! I also have TPMS and was going to do the same with that but maybe not? Can you add 2 more sensors? Are they the type that screw onto your valve stems? Or? Thanks for the info so far Fordman.

fordmantpw 06-09-2016 05:18 PM

Sorry, can't answer the other questions. I would think you could add 2 more sensors. If not, that's pretty short-sighted for Ford, and since they cater to the towing crowd with these electronic gizmos, I bet it will support at least 8.

System 06-09-2016 05:25 PM

I'm sure this is something that I can just add later. Thanks for the info though.

Xwild 06-09-2016 05:28 PM

Trying to figure out how to tie in a second camera

I've got a backup cam and an inside cam on the my horse trailer right now. Hoping there is a way to tie in more than just the one trailer camera. I don't want to have to keep my extra monitor just for the inside camera.

OkieSweetness 06-11-2016 03:33 AM

From what I have seen, the TPMS appears to be 4 sensors that are wireless screw on types.... however the camera is not (can't be wireless?? because wireless is not possible except for the TPMS, hmmm) , it is supposed to come with a super long cable that feeds into the new 7 pin + connector? I think the big perks are that they feed straight into the Main sync display and are part of the truck system without other displays required in the truck.

All that being said, I agree that the order guide is very vague about what the "prep package" is.

System 06-11-2016 05:26 AM

Thanks for the info. It is too bad that Ford can't do a wireless camera like all the aftermarket companies can. On some trailers, it would be easy to just route a long cable underneath to the front. However, on a finished fiberglass RV, there is no easy way to fish a cable from a high center mounted camera to the underbelly. It is worth researching though as it would be nice to only have one screen in the truck. Then again, I'd loose my RV NAV. RV navigation is great because you can add your trailer's length, width, height, and weight. Then the NAV automatically routes you around areas that won't work for your combo like low bridges.

troverman 06-11-2016 12:33 PM

In response to Ford's new cameras, GM is offering a wireless trailer cam.

However, the new Ford trailer cam uses I believe a 12 pin plug which supplies power and video bandwidth. The wireless cameras have to get their power from somewhere and they are subject to interference. I think Ford envisions the cable running on the roof of the trailer and then neatly down a corner to the wiring harness. The camera looked high quality.

System 06-11-2016 01:54 PM

Most guys just tap one of the trailers parking lamps which are already high center so there's the power. My wireless has a fine picture. I guess wired would be better resolution but not worth the hassle of running the cable.

UGA33 06-11-2016 04:28 PM

Ford has done away with the 4 plug port to accommodate the camera. Like mentioned above, it will have a cable with the owner deciding how the routing is done. The trailer we used, t was ran neatly on the inside of the trailer to the front along the edge of the roof. It will also have an option for a nice little junction box you can mount on the tongue of the trailer to keep it stored when not in use.

System 06-11-2016 04:48 PM

I imagine it would be a lot harder on a 44.5' fifth wheel no Josh. No neat way to get that wire from the roof down on mine without pulling moldings and since it's full body paint that would make quite the mess.

UGA33 06-11-2016 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat (Post 16350994)
I imagine it would be a lot harder on a 44.5' fifth wheel no Josh. No neat way to get that wire from the roof down on mine without pulling moldings and since it's full body paint that would make quite the mess.

They told us, but I can't remember how long the cable is. Your best bet would be under the trailer would it not?

System 06-11-2016 08:04 PM

Oh, for sure. But getting the wire from under the trailer to both the camera and the umbilical would be less than sightly.

Rasalas 06-12-2016 08:08 AM

I am in a singular situation it would seem for the extra camera and that is for use on my slide in camper. Since the tailgate is off with the camper on board I hoped to use the same plug for the camper that the tailgate would use when in place. Tight camp grounds will make this a welcome addition not to count hooking up the boat trailer. An ability to turn the camera on at will would also be welcome to monitor the trailer while in motion. My darling wife is a wonderful companion but somehow the science of connecting a trailer makes her somewhat dyslexic and hand signs UN-interpretable. "Go ahead and backup"