Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

March Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 06:48 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
March Chat Thread

Another new month is upon us and super tuesday is dominating the news tonight. I hope everyone exercised their right to vote!! The thunderstorms are moving thru and it has really came down a few times. Hopefully this will be the last cold blast and warmer weather will finally be here to stay.

Axel,
Excited to see that you are so into working on your truck, being a mechanic and not a parts replacer is slowly becoming a lost art. I remember when OBD1 came out and now we are about to have OBD3. A new mechanic now would be lost without a code reader and probably could not set the points on an old ignition system. Don't beat yourself up, it takes time and after 30 + years I'm still no expert.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:24 PM
yankbs 66f100
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's amazing how little knowledge people have about the older things. Walked in to an Advanced Auto store to get a set of points and a condenser for my boat. When it came my turn at the counter, the young kid asked what I needed. Showed him the two pieces, and the look on his face was amazing. He said what is that, told him what it was, and then he said, what does it do. I went straight to NAPA.

That kid not only knew what it was, he walked to the back and came out with the parts. Glad to say, I won't be back to Advanced anytime soon.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:28 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiefM
Another new month is upon us and super tuesday is dominating the news tonight. I hope everyone exercised their right to vote!! The thunderstorms are moving thru and it has really came down a few times. Hopefully this will be the last cold blast and warmer weather will finally be here to stay.

Axel,
Excited to see that you are so into working on your truck, being a mechanic and not a parts replacer is slowly becoming a lost art. I remember when OBD1 came out and now we are about to have OBD3. A new mechanic now would be lost without a code reader and probably could not set the points on an old ignition system. Don't beat yourself up, it takes time and after 30 + years I'm still no expert.
I use to teach automotive and I am still learning.

We will have at least one more cold snap before or on Easter.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:32 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by yankbs 66f100
It's amazing how little knowledge people have about the older things. Walked in to an Advanced Auto store to get a set of points and a condenser for my boat. When it came my turn at the counter, the young kid asked what I needed. Showed him the two pieces, and the look on his face was amazing. He said what is that, told him what it was, and then he said, what does it do. I went straight to NAPA.

That kid not only knew what it was, he walked to the back and came out with the parts. Glad to say, I won't be back to Advanced anytime soon.
Bob
I used to work for Advance . Now I drive past Advance to go to Oriley's.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:52 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
I had a busy day yesterday. Left the house at 645. Drove to Chattanooga picked up a cab visor. Coming back stopped in Conley and scoured Pick a Part for a hydroboost brake booster and a VW mirror switch for theupcoming mirror upgrade. Left there went to Mcdonough to another yard looking for the switch. Drove to Griffin to go out to Johnson's. The truck I thought had hydroboost was vacuum. Yes all the trucks are still there. Drove to Macon picked up groceries finally back home around 8:30

Truck ran great 70-75 got about 19mpg. One parts score was the cab visor

Old 03-02-2016, 05:35 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Well finally after 3 trips to the tag office my wife was finally able to get the tag transferred to the Jaguar. Tomorrow is the first drive to work in it, it should do fine.

Still need to find a rear seat bottom and replace the headliner and it will be looking real good.

Hugh you were riding the roads yesterday.

It is super great being home at nights, We have not had a normal home life in over 5 years.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:31 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
You can get headliner material on ebay. I saw a on older jag at Johnson's yesterday.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...liner&_sacat=0

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...ottom&_sacat=0

All the parts for the mirror upgrade will be in next week.

Last edited by hturner12; 03-02-2016 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Add hyperlink and text
Old 03-02-2016, 07:55 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
hey guys. Been a minute. Got the front suspension on the Ford almost done, my other second degree burn has been healing nicely. Welding has picked up a ton, and its almost to the point where I might not be able to keep up.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:57 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Axel, no, well maybe yes. My dad and I wrench. I went to high school for it too. I have the new school stuff, he has the old school. Old cars is something I know more about than most 40 year old mechanics, and its sad sometimes (for them). When I get my shop, yall can come down anytime. As soon as its built, it will be filled with 5 cars. All getting open check book work.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:58 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hturner12
You can get headliner material on ebay. I saw a on older jag at Johnson's yesterday.

2002 jaguar headliner | eBay

2002 jaguar seat bottom | eBay

All the parts for the mirror upgrade will be in next week.
JoAnn fabrics. I ordered my suede and did my Dodge.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:00 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
The first junkyard I went to yesterday is right next to Lookout mountain

Old 03-02-2016, 08:01 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Axel I was lucky to start at a young age. I graduated top of my mechanic class in high school literally by a land slide first year. I never had to study, and always got the teaching/mentor position or the hard (race car) jobs.

I have to throw up posts, I havent touched a computer in a week.

Girlfriend turned 21 last night. fun night, too bad I was and am still sick. Life has to go on though.

This weekend fnishing ford suspension, and maybe ripping out a engine/trans from a jeep for a buddy.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:05 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan
Axel I was lucky to start at a young age. I graduated top of my mechanic class in high school literally by a land slide first year. I never had to study, and always got the teaching/mentor position or the hard (race car) jobs.

I have to throw up posts, I havent touched a computer in a week.

Girlfriend turned 21 last night. fun night, too bad I was and am still sick. Life has to go on though.

This weekend fnishing ford suspension, and maybe ripping out a engine/trans from a jeep for a buddy.
That is called "SUCK IT UP" just suck it up and press o

Old 03-02-2016, 08:07 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hturner12
That is called "SUCK IT UP" just suck it up and press o
i did suck it up. Drank and had fun. haha. still chuggin hard. Im a freight train, nothing will stop me. Literally

****ing skin on my left hand finger folded over my finger nail. Curled it back and wrapped it up. Didnt know till I saw a blood trail haha

Old 03-02-2016, 08:13 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan
i did suck it up. Drank and had fun. haha. still chuggin hard. Im a freight train, nothing will stop me. Literally

****ing skin on my left hand finger folded over my finger nail. Curled it back and wrapped it up. Didnt know till I saw a blood trail haha
I knew that is what you did. I use that term for whiners or those that want a pill for everything who complain this hurts and that hurts.

I think most of us here take the same approach to things. But as you get older the pains do slow you down and thing take longer to heal.

Quick Reply: March Chat Thread