Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

March Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 10:09 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Old roommate might have a website up for me within the week.

Also, I dont post sappy **** or unhappy stuff, but my aunt was put in hospice.. 3rd time fighting cancer, this time, dont look so good. Be the 5th person I loose in a year, and what kills me most is seeing how it kills my parents. Weve been getting along for 3 years now, havent had a good relationship for a while till now, but to see family torn kills me since im protective as ****. Death doesnt get to me, but to see this hurts a little. Fuuuuuuuuck me, I dont know how to handle it, never handled anything right. Im cold hearted to my parents and an ******* to everyone I know.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:23 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan
Yeah I hear ya. None of that in family. Alcoholism, Prostate cancer, and Alzheimers.
It can still get you once you body starts making more sugar than it can use.

Got up this morning and rear glass was shattered on the Patriot. Insurance deductible 250 looks like back to the junkyards today.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:24 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hturner12
I use to teach automotive and I am still learning.

We will have at least one more cold snap before or on Easter.
I looked into that Hugh but I have a a full time job and I can't just not work for 18 months. They only have a full time program. I was hoping i could learn under someone on my truck or theirs etc. Build up as I go. No pun intended.

@ ChiefM (thanks for the encouragement) Also Are you enjoying being home regularly?

Well Guys, I have always wanted to work on a vehicle but before it was my daily so I didn't learn I just made it happen. Since the truck is not my daily I want to take my time. 347, modern 4 speed automatic, Nostalgic AC, Trak loc (aka positraction for GMs) So I have some lofty goals. I love this site because I am learning stuff constantly. Thanks guys for being my GA Ford Family.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:30 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
Bob
I used to work for Advance . Now I drive past Advance to go to Oriley's.
I know a couple gearheads at the advances in Macon, they seem to be very knowledgeable. One was so helpful, he told me what lobe and duration I needed for my camshaft and the type of pistons to look for in my 347 stroker. He even said for what I want I might need to go elsewhere to get an engine.

SO I guess its where you go. If you think about it any retail chain has bad apples. Quality people will not work for low hourly wages if they are ambitious. And if they have no drive the will be useless I.e. Bobs experience.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:32 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
BTW: Do any of you guys know what came with a ford 9" rearend with disk brakes and Trac-lok? Hturner I think thats my biggest want at the junkyard.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:42 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Wow! 3 pages in 3 days!! Y'all have been busy on here... I'll have to catch up reading when I have time.

Took a trip down to Woodbury yesterday to get some F550 leaf springs from the place that builds ambulances, etc. I've never been in that part of the world! It was a beautiful day for a drive. I screwed around and fouled up my plan to get back through ATL before 'rush hour'. I hit mid-town at about 3:45 and it was already too late.... It took over an hour to get up to Canton. If that was my daily grind, you'd eventually find my brains blown all over the inside of my ride. Bless their hearts, I dunno how they do it....

Also bought an F550 in Conley for my next customer/project. It's getting a full build just like the one I'm doing now. Rebuilt 7.3 PSD with ported and polished heads, cut and coated pistons, Stage 2 cam, hybrid injectors, T4 turbo, etc (550hp ) rebuilding the ZF6 trans, etc, etc....

Looks like I'm gonna get a commitment in the next couple days to build a Grand Cherokee with a 5spd manual trans and Mercedes 5cyl turbo diesel. (I'm planning to build several of these) I need to clone myself!!!

Old 03-03-2016, 10:46 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
Diabetes will make you change your life. My sugar spiked in Jan due to corizone shots to the knees. Got back to watching what I eat and got active walking again. I dropped right at 30 # since mid Jan. If I not working on the truck I walk 2 miles a day
Yikes, I am 31 this year and diabetes runs in the family. I guess life can be shorter then we think. Well I guess working on trucks is like lifting weights right

Well Turner i am on the hunt for a 9" rearend with Trak-loc and disks brakes. Do you think any of those yards had one?

Old 03-03-2016, 05:03 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by axelgawn
BTW: Do any of you guys know what came with a ford 9" rearend with disk brakes and Trac-lok? Hturner I think thats my biggest want at the junkyard.
Mostly mustangs. Crown vics had no posi, and Im not sure on the diff size.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:04 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Axel youd want to look for 80s and up. Some models had them, some didnt, Idk what year they became standard.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:36 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The 4 wheel drives are posi but not standard disc brakes. I am sure there is a kit out there to switch over.

Yes axel I am loving being home every night. Still kinda strange. Hard part so far is I can't seem to break out of the 4- 430 wake up routine yet. I'm so tired and can't hardly hold my eyes open after 9.

Drove the Jaguar to work for the first time this morning, I few things I need to address but it drove really good.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:45 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Got a good reaming at work this morning. Im not worth a ****, until the bosses found out I am sick as **** and still coming to work. Then the attitude changed. Also pointed out the jobs we have are not 30 minute jobs. Took me 3 hours to tear a rear bumper off a mercedes.......

They can lick my dick

Old 03-03-2016, 07:51 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
My daughters boyfriend thinks he may have a carb for the 79 in his garage, he wants to get it running just about as bad as I do.

We got a little sleet and a lot of rain today. Should be back in the 70's by midweek.

Guess I am going to watch a little of the debate, I have to say I have never ever seen anything like this election cycle.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:53 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
Hey Guys,

Well, after some trolling on the interwebs I learned the 80s-96 f150 axles were slightly shorted and would not work. However, a Dana 50-60 was a available in the 250 in up models. Mustang axles came with really high gears 2.75s etc so that would be more money and work then a possible conversion. It looks like I might have to just possibly save up and buy the expensive conversion for the rear end. I would like disks but they are not a essential at the moment. I just want to as much of that 400 hp to the wheels.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:48 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Wow! 3 pages in 3 days!! Y'all have been busy on here... I'll have to catch up reading when I have time.

Took a trip down to Woodbury yesterday to get some F550 leaf springs from the place that builds ambulances, etc. I've never been in that part of the world! It was a beautiful day for a drive. I screwed around and fouled up my plan to get back through ATL before 'rush hour'. I hit mid-town at about 3:45 and it was already too late.... It took over an hour to get up to Canton. If that was my daily grind, you'd eventually find my brains blown all over the inside of my ride. Bless their hearts, I dunno how they do it....

Also bought an F550 in Conley for my next customer/project. It's getting a full build just like the one I'm doing now. Rebuilt 7.3 PSD with ported and polished heads, cut and coated pistons, Stage 2 cam, hybrid injectors, T4 turbo, etc (550hp ) rebuilding the ZF6 trans, etc, etc....

Looks like I'm gonna get a commitment in the next couple days to build a Grand Cherokee with a 5spd manual trans and Mercedes 5cyl turbo diesel. (I'm planning to build several of these) I need to clone myself!!!
Jason
That funny while you were down here in my neck of the woods about 20 miles from Woodbury. I was in Bufford getting a rear glass for the Jeep. I was in southbound traffic from the top of 285 to Mcdonough. I think I left Bufford around 145

In your travels if you come across a hydroboost brake boost out of an 88-97 (350,450, 53 or 59) let me know.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:34 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Got off work a little early today so I sanded and polished the clear headlight lens's on the Jag, I also fixed the ash tray door. I also did a little more interior cleaning and gave her a good wash. It is getting cold so I decided to call it a day.

Tomorrow's plans are to change the oil in the Lightning and figure out how to change the transfer case oil in the Jaguar. A couple of things to replace that are broken and she will be just about as good as new.

It keeps coming up with a catalytic converter code so one of those will be in the near future. It runs good so it not an emergency right now.

Quick Reply: March Chat Thread