Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

2015 TENNESSEE EVERYTHING THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Knock on wood, other than the COPD, the lower back pain and the knee replacement that bothers me in this cold, I manage to keep going.
As one who makes knee replacement components, I never thought about that. I'll be all that titanium and cobalt chrome attracts a lot of cold! But don't blame me, I make the plastic parts!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:44 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fifty4F100
As one who makes knee replacement components, I never thought about that. I'll be all that titanium and cobalt chrome attracts a lot of cold! But don't blame me, I make the plastic parts!
What company's knees do you make the components for?

EDIT: I forgot, you're in Bartlett, so you probably work for Smith and Nephew or a sub of theirs. I've got a Stryker, that was my doctors preferred choice and my insurance covered 100%. If I hadn't had the insurance coverage, I would have had a Biomet knee, only because I was friends with the family that founded the company, sadly the man, Dane Miller passed away a couple of days ago.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:51 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
It is S+N. And please never tell me if you have problems. They tell me that I have to report it under the penalty of fines/prison if I don't. I never tell anyone where I work anymore. Only a few times my wife speaks up and I run away!

But since May, Stryker has been rumored as trying to take over S+N.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:03 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I think when snow is in the forecast around here , everyone craves French toast .
All the bread , milk ,and eggs are gone from the grocers shelves ......

Old 02-15-2015, 06:13 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Received 130 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by JWC 3
I think when snow is in the forecast around here , everyone craves French toast .
All the bread , milk ,and eggs are gone from the grocers shelves ......
Yeah J, my lady went to get groceries this morning and said that people where acting crazy. Said that one lady had her buggy full of the little propane bottles. I can kinda see the propane but still, I don't see how people don't go broke doing this crap. I'm all for being prepared, but that's ridiculous.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:16 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
My wife went out this afternoon for dog food and a few supplies . She said it was crazy at wal mart .

Old 02-15-2015, 06:18 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
That's where mine went. They act like we are gonna get 24" and be trapped for two weeks!

Old 02-15-2015, 07:35 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Snow does not have to be in the forecast for people to act crazy at Walmart!!!

Old 02-15-2015, 07:39 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by White 97 xlt
Sad but SO TRUE!

Old 02-15-2015, 08:02 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by White 97 xlt
I think there is a quota, that a certain % are required to be.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I think we're in for a pretty interesting few days here, I just hope the NWS is wrong about the second wave (see forecast log).

Sure as corruption the precip expected in the I-40 corridor just HAS to be ice instead of snow. I can handle snow. I can deal with dang cold rain. I surehell don't need ice, and the buzz is that wednesday is going to see a cold spike right down to ZERO or thereabout.

If y'all lose track of me for long enough to send out scouts, and they report the letters "GTT" painted on my garage door - it means GONE to TEXAS

I think we all should be considering sending a prayer or three upwards that this mess turns out to be a lot less bad than the weather services are predicting.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:11 PM
kla94
Logistics Pro
Hope it's wrong Grey. Looks like I will already miss out on work tomorrow. We have tons of work, but everything it's dependant on the weather right now. It doesn't look good for the rest of the week either.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:15 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
It can go one of two ways - all the way off, or all the way ON.

I'm still half under the weather as it is with a chest cold, but damn if I know what to do with two dogs and one of them sicker than me (Rufuss is in real bad shape)

If power gets cut off, I need to think of some options here....

Sh-t, if it comes to it I have lots of wood but no fireplace.

I've been looking into wood burnt heat, but nobody wants to touch it because of insurance problems.
MASONS in this area no longer build fireplaces

If I had a fireplace in my house, it could make it a shelter for all the neighbors.

THAT RIGHT THERE IS INTOLERABLE, I NEED A CENTRAL FIREPLACE or HEARTH

It has to happen...

I WILL modify this house so as to make it survivable.

But the plain fact is that I am out of time. What's going to happen is going to happen. Damn if I want to be in this shape ever again.
I need to fix that, assuming I make it through this...

What a stupid house

If I had the money to rebuild this chicken coop, I'd set a round wood burning hearth dead in the middle of a basement that was proof against tornadoes, and then build the house up around it. Heat from the bottom would go upwards, and in the hot times of the year I could move downstairs. A geodesic design would be best.

You look at the houses around here that were built in recent years and they all have common stupidities built into them. Rooflines so cut up at silly angles it takes a master roofer to shingle them. Wasted spaces built in - like it matters more that you can show off than what you end up paying to heat and cool it. No account taken to the upkeep or maintenence costs, they were built to show money. And a lot of money is what it takes to keep them...

I can count myself fortunate to an extent - I own a SMALL piece of crap.

But by God it could have been done much better.

A square house plan with a single roof plane is the ideal. The minute you deviate from that with split roof lines, you are begging for higher upkeep and trouble!

* In general, "TROUBLE" is spelled: "SECOND MORTGAGE"

Dang how I hate cleaning up other peoples stupid messes

Old 02-16-2015, 05:14 AM
kla94
Logistics Pro
A whole lot of stupid things are done for "looks". People don't realize, or just don't care, about cost efficiency as long as it looks good.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:24 AM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
I'm sitting in my "old piece of crap" as well. Its times like these I kick my DW's hind quarters for putting the wood burning stove on the curb after we moved in. Was gone before I got home. One among many bad decisions. We have a lot of wood outside from all the limbs that fall and a big fear again the power will go off. Last year about this time it was out for 3 days.

Quick Reply: 2015 TENNESSEE EVERYTHING THREAD