Sponsored by: Moser

1973 F100 - Grumpy

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 02:30 PM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking 1973 F100 - Grumpy

So time to pull my old 73 out of the field again. Need a truck for work and this guy was doing good. Got parked because of fuel issues. The carb had worn channels etc in it and needed to be replaced. Got that done and I can't remember why but it got parked... think I got a newer truck or something

So here he is. Name came from him trying to start when I first got him. Plan is to get it running nice again and just get it cleaned up and going to update some suspension eventually and thinking of just clear coating it and keeping the old truck look. Don't want it to look too fancy right?

Needs a headlight ring.. someone stole it..

Was bought new not even an hour from me. Sadly times change and the dealership is long gone

Dash looks good. how many times you recon it's rolled those digits over?

302 V-8 with 4 speed on the floor.

Door still opens and closes like new. no having to hip check it to close!

The only problem so far is the passenger cab corner.

drivers side seems fine

And last but not least, Last time I had it on the road. It's still in the computers at the DMV so I'm good to go!

Few guys bugging me to make it look like Jessie Duke's truck to

More thinking of getting it going then eventually doing the crown vic suspension upgrade and fixing that cab corner!

Old 08-11-2014, 06:27 PM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
302? nice truck

Old 08-11-2014, 06:50 PM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
Originally Posted by lafermedavid
302? nice truck
yes sir. I think its a good choice to. lots of parts for them around!

Old 08-11-2014, 07:11 PM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
I had a 302 in my f100.,almost 200 + thousand mile .Changed oil regularly and kept the salt off of her.Still have the motor,from when I was a kid

Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2014, 07:22 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by TheStuffz
Needs a headlight ring.. someone stole it..

I'd use the large F-series cab in the top right of the pic above and mount it on the 73's frame.

Dare to be different... and unique.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:23 PM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
well i dont think this truck has seen salt in 20+ years. it sat for a long long time and never moved in the winter.

i wouldnt doubt this one has 200k miles on it!

Old 08-11-2014, 07:25 PM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
I'd use the large F-series cab in the top right of the pic above and mount it on the 73's frame.

Dare to be different... and unique.
would be really unique. those are GMC's

Old 08-18-2014, 09:30 PM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
Went and got Grumpy today!!

Haven't seen this view in awhile!

Towed grumpy home with my '12 F150

Found this interesting on the truck to. gonna make another thread to ask about this. But under the back on drivers side there was a bracket and light for another licence plate. Not sure why it's there but it is!

Also got some nice interesting "stuff" growing on him

Old 08-18-2014, 09:52 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
gonna make another thread to ask about this. But under the back on drivers side there was a bracket and light for another licence plate. Not sure why it's there but it is!
This is something of a guess on my part but I would say the truck was originally delivered to the dealer with no rear bumper.
Back in the day things that we take for granted as standard equipment today were options. Unless ordered, these trucks didn't come with spare tires, mirrors or rear bumpers.
If a truck was ordered without a rear bumper, that is where the license plate bracket and light were mounted.
My guess is the truck was ordered without a rear bumper and one was added by the dealer. This was a common practice, the dealer could get the aftermarket bumpers cheaper and quite often they had the selling dealer's name etched into them, free advertising.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:58 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
would be really unique. those are GMC's
10-4.. the one to the right looks like a F600. Oh well.

Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
This is something of a guess on my part but I would say the truck was originally delivered to the dealer with no rear bumper.
Back in the day things that we take for granted as standard equipment today were options. Unless ordered, these trucks didn't come with spare tires, mirrors or rear bumpers.
If a truck was ordered without a rear bumper, that is where the license plate bracket and light were mounted.
My guess is the truck was ordered without a rear bumper and one was added by the dealer. This was a common practice, the dealer could get the aftermarket bumpers cheaper and quite often they had the selling dealer's name etched into them, free advertising.
Dang Mike. You and I are on the same track cuz I responded much the same in the other thread.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:08 PM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
wondered if that would be the case. just weird it would be under like that. I woulda took a photo farther out but trailer ramp in the way

Old 08-18-2014, 10:16 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Dang Mike. You and I are on the same track cuz I responded much the same in the other thread.
Yeah, back in the day I drove a 1970 F100. Bare bones including no rear bumper. That's how I knew the answer.
I wouldn't mind having that bump' back now.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Doc_G
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang, that truck looks just like mine except my cab corners are good. The only rust in mine is a small spot in the floor pan and the drivers door corner.

Looking forward to updates on this one.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:37 PM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
I crawled under it when I got back to town and it was nice and high up on the trailer. none of the floor is rusted out at all. its complete and solid under there. guess it hasnt seen much winter!

Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 PM
ShaneNP123
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice truck and nice chunk of land you got there, Id like to take a drive out west when I'm done my dent.

Quick Reply: 1973 F100 - Grumpy