double post

Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sand_fiend
double post
Originally Posted by joeyd61
OK, sorry for being late, I to need AE for dummies...

Old 02-28-2013, 11:54 PM
tappit01
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is there still room in this class? i can do about 6 things with mine, 3 if we're not counting hooking it up...

Old 03-01-2013, 04:48 AM
aussie_f350
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emailed Clay today and AE wont work with brazilian built trucks?
any other options?

Old 03-01-2013, 06:17 AM
matt9923
Junior User
See post 23

Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Highridge
Junior User
Great thread! I'm planning on ordering AE this week.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 AM
microdevil45
Senior User
Subscribing for the AE for dummies class....

Old 03-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
matt9923 - I have condensed that post to make it easier to read. Great find!!

AutoEnginuity Software Configuration When you first launch the AutoEnginuity software there are some settings that need to be modified. The settings below are what we recommend to get the best results when connecting to Powerstroke Diesel vehicles. Connection to other vehicles may require changes to these settings. All of these settings are located in "Communications Configuration" on the "Vehicle" menu.
  • Computer Interface:
    • Select "Auto Detect Serial Port" ONLY if you are using a Serial version of the AutoEnginuity tool
    • Select "USB or Manually Set Serial Port" for USB versions of the AutoEnginuity tool
    • I prefer to turn off "Automatically Connect on Launch" so I can start the software without it trying to connect
  • Vehicle Interface (these settings are for the BEST connectivity support for FORD POWERSTROKE TRUCKS ONLY):
    • "Vehicle Interface Type" should be "J1850PWM" for a 7.3L and "Auto-Detect" for a 6.0L
    • "Initialization Type" should be "Non-OBDII" when connecting to a 7.3L
      NOTE: The above settings will need to be changed to "Auto-Detect" and "OBDII Compliant" if connecting to a non-Powerstroke vehicle
    • "Use Fastmode CAN" and "Use Heartbeat" should not be selected when connecting to a Ford
  • The above settings are automatically saved. You won't need to adjust these unless you change them to connect to a different vehicle.
Cylinder Contribution Testing (7.3L) AutoEnginuity can be used to execute Cylinder Contribution Tests (CCT) on 94-03 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel equipped vehicles (the 6.0L PCM doesn't have this functionalilty built-in). A common cause of failed CCTs is "EOT out of Range"...which means Engine Oil Temperature is out of range. The following approximate EOT values are required to execute a CCT:
  • 94-97 Powerstroke Diesel: 170°F+
  • 99-03 Powerstroke Diesel: 135°F+
  • Also, make sure that ALL accessories are turned off (A/C, etc.)
Note: on 94-97 Powerstroke Trucks, you may be able to audibly hear the test turning cylinders on and off (trucks with newer calibrations should complete 3 test cycles). The test will be terminated early if a cylinder is found to be very bad. Once that cylinder is repaired, the CCT will need to be run again to check the rest of the cylinders. You will not hear this on the 99-03 Powerstroke Trucks as the test is performed differently. There is also a potential problem with the CCT if it detects an issue with either the #6 or #8 cylinder. Due to the fact that cylinders #6 and #8 fire in sequence and are physically adjacent to each other in the engine, it is not uncommon for a CCT to mis-report a problem with one cylinder that actually exists in the other.

For 99-03 7.3L, another way to use AutoEnginuity to see if there are problems with a particular cylinder is to monitor the "Cylinder x Change Rotational Vel" or "Percentage of Crank Deceleration" PID (also commonly called PERDEL). This PID exists for all 8 cylinders and is a representation of crankshaft velocity change (decrease) at the time the cylinder is firing. Ideally, these should all read 0%. Any cylinder consistently reading more than 3-5% change in rotational velocity is suspect and should be further examined. Note: Engine should be fully warmed up before checking PERDEL data.

7.3L Injector "Buzz" Test The Injector "Buzz" Test can be used to look for a faulty fuel injector. It is best to run this test on a totally cold engine, one that has sat overnight and has not been started. Initiate the "Buzz" test and then listen carefully to the injectors as the test is completed. First, all 8 injectors will "Buzz" at the same time. Then, the IDM will "Buzz" the injectors in numerical order (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8). Remember that cylinders 1-3-5-7 are on the passenger side and 2-4-6-8 are on the drivers side, with cylinders 1 & 2 being at the front of the engine. You should hear a strong "Buzz" bouncing from side to side for all 8 injectors. If one of the injectors doesn't "Buzz", you've found a problem cylinder. It is important to note that when an injector fails to "Buzz" properly, you will still hear the other 7 injectors make a faint buzz...this is a designed function to protect the IDM.
Note: Because the IDM will "buzz" the other 7 injectors faintly during individual cylinder tests, it is possible for the "Buzz" test to report no problems detected. If the "Buzz" test reports no failures, but you don't hear a particular cylinder "Buzz"...more than likely there is a problem with that injector.
It should also be noted that an injector failing a "Buzz" test can have many causes. The injector can be in a failed state (loose armature plate screw, bad solenoid, etc.), the UCV (under valve cover) gasket or harness could be damaged or disconnected, the main engine harness could be damaged or the IDM could be damaged. Further inspection will be necessary to determine the actual problem...but at least you now have a place to start.

Quick KOEO Sensor Checks: There are a few sensors that can be easily checked with a scantool. Starting with a "Dead Cold" engine (let it sit overnight, don't start), connect to the truck with the ScanTool. Check the following:
  1. Oil Temp should closely match the current Ambient Temp.
  2. Readings for Exhaust Backpressure, Manifold Absolute Pressure and Barometric Pressure should all be within 1/2 psi of each other (this should be true with the engine either warm or cold).
(Note: with the engine running, MAP and EBP values are "Pressure + Baro". For example, if Baro is 14.7 and there is 2psi of boost, MAP will read 16.7. Also, there is a calculated PID called "Manifold Gauge Pressure" that doesn't have the Baro pressure added in).

KOER (Key On Engine Running) On-Demand Test: On the 7.3L, the primary purpose of this test is to check the functionalilty of the High Pressure Oil System and the Exhaust Back Pressure Solenoid. On the 6.0L this test may return Misfire, VGT, or Glowplug codes.

7.3L Powerstroke Starting Req.:
Vehicle Power: 10.5v
RPM Signal : 100rpm
Inj. Cntrl Press. (ICP): 0.85v (about 500psi)
Fuel Pulse Width: 1 to 6 milliseconds

6.0L Powerstroke Starting Req.:
Vehicle Power : 10.5v
RPM Signal: 100rpm
Inj. Cntrl Press. (ICP): 0.85v (about 500psi)
Fuel Pulse Width : 0.5 to 2 milliseconds FICM SYNC and SYNC Achieved

*Note: the above starting requirements for both 7.3L and 6.0L Powerstroke Diesels assume the following:
  • Sufficient Oil Level and Pressure
  • Acceptable Quality Fuel
  • Sufficient Fuel Pressure
  • Sufficient Air Supply
  • Proper Glow Plug Operation
  • Proper Injection Timing (PCM Controlled)
P1298 - "IDM Failure" (7.3L)[indent]This code can be set by a low battery. Connect a battery charger, clear codes and re-run KOEO tests. If this code doesn't return, check charging system and batteries and repair as necessary. If the code returns, IDM is suspect.

P1316 - "IDM Codes Detected" (7.3L) IDM Codes are stored in memory in the IDM itself. The P1316 DTC is an indication that there are stored IDM Codes that need to be retrieved and/or cleared. Executing a "Clear Codes" will clear both PCM and IDM codes...DO NOT CLEAR CODES until you have retrieved and reviewed the codes stored in the IDM! If you get a P1316 DTC, the following steps will allow you to view the stored codes in the IDM using AutoEnginuity:
  1. Execute a KOEO (Key On Engine Off) Test.
  2. Execute an Injector "Buzz" Test.
  3. The displayed results from these tests will include any stored IDM Codes.
Please keep in mind that IDM Codes are stored in memory. If you have a code indicating a fault, but there is no drivability problem, the fault may not currently exist. After taking note of the codes, execute a "Clear Codes". At this time you should be able to re-run the above tests with no IDM codes generated. If one or more IDM codes are still present after the "Clear Codes" command has been successfully executed and the above tests performed again, the fault still exists and further examination is necessary.

P1211 - "ICP Higher/Lower Than Desired" (7.3L) We all know that this code is commonly caused by "Hot Chips" that are demanding more Pressure (ICP) than the High Pressure Oil Pump can deliver. For what it's worth, these are the exact parameters that trigger this code:
  • ICP 410psi Higher Than Desired for 7 Seconds
  • ICP 280psi Lower Than Desired for 7 Seconds
This code can also be caused by legitimate High Pressure Oil System issues. Below is a list of some of the causes:
  • Failed or Sticking IPR (Injection Pressure Regulator)
  • Failed or Weak HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump)
  • Any Leak in High Pressure Oil System (o-ring, stuck injector, etc.)
  • Low Fuel Pressure (Rare)
P1280 / P1281 / P1283 - (7.3L)
The above codes are related to ICP also. If the Service Engine Soon (SES) light is on and these codes are present, the ICP reading through any scantool will not be accurate as the PCM is using a "default" ICP value. These codes are all "electrical" in nature. Common causes are shorts between the Red and White IPR wires or between the Red wire and ground. These can also sometimes indicate a PCM problem.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:18 PM
lartross
Elder User
I'm always up to learn more about these trucks. Thanks for starting this, Rich.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Staying with the basics:

I want to start with a simple reading that is easy to overlook, but can have a profound effect on your fuel economy and performance - the Exhaust Back Pressure sensor, Manifold Air Pressure sensor, and BARO (barometer). These three are akin to a GPS indicating “you are here” for everything that follows, once the truck is started: It does no good to “Turn right here” if the GPS thinks you're someplace you're not. It also does no good if your engine tuning says “Set fuel delivery to X” if the sensors are lying to the PCM.

Before we go on a clicking rampage, you first want to see the screen. Many of you have larger screens than my netbook, but just as many are as crowded as I am. To preview if your screen can handle the whole nine bards (not a typo, just taking creative license), click on the “Live Data Meter” tab. The screen shot below contains some inspiration as to how to make more room on the screen, if needed:

Now I've done it... I gave away one of the secrets - you can monitor up to 9 sensors at a time. There will be a later discussion on the practical number of meters up, but I will be keeping as few meters active as possible. This test calls for just three meters... perfect. Using the screen shot below, you want to select one sensor for each meter, until the meters look like the second screen shot below that.

You can see the values from my truck in my driveway... I live at about 1000 feet. These values are absolute pressure – this means compared to a perfect vacuum, the air pressure at my home is just over 14 PSI. That's zero for a back pressure gauge and the boost gauge, so you can see how relevant this test is. Here is a [LINK] to see what pressure you should see at your altitude.

***Critical edit: Powering your laptop from the cigarette lighter while using the USB-style OBDII interface has the potential to damage the interface and/or your laptop. Contact AutoEnginuity for input before powering your laptop from the vehicle.***

What's my next session? Setting up the system to record these three values while we go for a drive. There's more to it than just pushing the shiny red button, but I always encourage experimentation... it makes for better questions.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:22 PM
01PS
Elder User
Great idea Rich. I was actually going to PM you a couple of days ago and suggest something like this since I have a request of a fellow FTE'r south of me that needs some AE help. I'll be tardy and hungover, but maybe there'll be some hotties to look at in class!?

Old 03-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Edogsf350
Senior User
Professor (hand raised) how much with translate over to the 6.0 engine?

Old 03-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
If we enroll in the class, will Clay at RiffRaff Diesel give us student discount on AE with the appropriate Ford bundle?

Old 03-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Edogsf350
Professor (hand raised) how much with translate over to the 6.0 engine?
I never even looked under the hood of a 6.0, sorry. I do think in terms of 7.3, because that's what I've hooked AE up to so far (couldn't find the OBDII port on the '66 Mustang I once had). Much of what I share here will still be of use, because you will learn how to dial AE to extract the information you seek.

Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
If we enroll in the class, will Clay at RiffRaff Diesel give us student discount on AE with the appropriate Ford bundle?
This is my way of saying "Sorry I had the cup tools so long" to Clay and the next guy that was jonesin' to replace cups.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:13 PM
tommyl
Senior User
An apple for the teacher! Thanks...

Quick Reply: AE class is in session!