1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 F-250 Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:19 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I know, I bought a MSD street fire plug wire set for 302/351W. They were all long! especially the drivers side, the drivers side goes along the engine and around the front with length to spare! I'm going to make those short enough that they go over the valve cover. Also it looks like I forgot to plug in my #5 plug wire the other day, or at least all the way on. After I get these trimmed I'm going to check for a dead cylinder, it doesn't run like it has one but with that engine you never know, I've gotten the firing order wrong before and it still ran smooth. I left my passenger side ones with a tiny bit of slack, but they are all better looking that before.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
SO today I changed the oil, shortened my plug wires, got a vacuum reading and at 600 RPM it was 18" and when I revved it up slightly it was 19-20". I also discovered that my fuel pressure is 10 PSI! looks like I will be buying a inline regulator for it. Should do pretty good on gas then, 10 PSI out of a mechanical fuel pump? I was expecting 6-7 PSI MAX.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=118714

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=118715

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=118716

I wasn't quite done yet with making them neat, they are a little bit neater now.

Also I still haven't gotten the time to paint the valve covers, I'll just do that in the spring I guess.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
That reading on vacuum at 600 is reasonable if you have a non-stock cam in it. (I forget what you said about the cam.). But, on a stock cam it should be more like 20". And, as I said on WHYDTYTT, the Summit regulator appears to be a Holley but at less money.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:35 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
That reading on vacuum at 600 is reasonable if you have a non-stock cam in it. (I forget what you said about the cam.). But, on a stock cam it should be more like 20". And, as I said on WHYDTYTT, the Summit regulator appears to be a Holley but at less money.
I have no idea what it has for a cam, it seems to be stock or close to stock, I wish cam manufacturing companies would stamp what kind of a cam it is on the end where the timing chain gear attaches to it. Also when I checked #1 and 5 plugs they were black like it's running rich, it sounds like it gets too much fuel on acceleration going down the road too.

When I had the intake off the cam lobes and in between the lobes were a shiny bright metal, I noticed some different cams are made with different finishes and or metals. But the lobes looked like new when I could see them down through the oil return holes.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Sounds like you have a new cam. Did whomever put the manifold and carb on also put the cam in? And, I agree it would be nice to have it stamped on the end. I measured my cam 12 ways from Sunday and still don't know what it is.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:52 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Sounds like you have a new cam. Did whomever put the manifold and carb on also put the cam in? And, I agree it would be nice to have it stamped on the end. I measured my cam 12 ways from Sunday and still don't know what it is.
No, he said someone else rebuilt it. All he bought for it was a distributor, carb and some other things.

I just bought the summit regulator, when I get it I'll have to go find a couple fittings and a plug for the second outlet

Oh yeah it had the original manifold on it when I bought it, the guy gave me that one in a box.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Doesn't cost much to buy a gauge to put in the other hole. Makes adjusting the regulator very easy, and you can check it later.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:09 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
I might do that sometime, but after I get the exhaust done I need to start saving my money for insurance and stuff.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:51 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Something I find very weird is how can my engine have 10 PSI of fuel pressure but never flood over or run like crap at idle? weird. But it should do better with the regulator.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:35 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that pressure in the lines or coming out of the carb? The restrictions of the needle valves might be keeping it from flooding? But that much pressure might be causing it to have bad fuel mileage as well.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
I hooked the gauge up to the end of the fuel line, started it up for 20 seconds looked at it and then shut the engine down, it read 9 PSI after sitting for 5 minutes and stayed there.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:20 PM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
So today I cut open my old oil filter, looks cleaner than the last one. For some reason my camera makes the pleats in the filter look more separated and wavy than they really are.

The filter is a Purolator Classic L30001.

Also the last two times I have been to Walmart I have seen a 20 year old Fram PH8A new in box on the shelf, today I saw one for an Isuzu that had a 1991 copyright date on it, how do those make it to the shelves that late?

Old 01-01-2013, 12:16 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy them and resell as classic oil filters haha.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:24 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Copyright would just be for the art, pattern or design of the box.
I don't imagine there's much new about the box, or a reason for them to change it.

Do these things have a date of manufacture stamped on them?

Old 01-01-2013, 01:44 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Copyright would just be for the art, pattern or design of the box.
I don't imagine there's much new about the box, or a reason for them to change it.

Do these things have a date of manufacture stamped on them?
The filter logo and box is completely different as the new crap Fram filters.

Google Image Result for http://i.ebayimg.com/t/FRAM-PH8A-FORD-MOPAR-OIL-FILTER-/06/!B0s54pQ!Wk~%24(KGrHqZ,!iQE)qpzSRpHBMb,CgFW5w~~_35 .JPG

They look like that, way different than the ones made today. They were crap back then too! and that was back before Honeywell made Fram's, it was some Allied corporation or something like that written on the box I saw.

Quick Reply: 1986 F-250 Progress Thread