6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:57 PM
RickSo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I have had the CEL on most of our cold winter up here in Canada. I am getting 12mpg with the CEL on. My truck has been in the shop for five straight days. I was given a Focus to drive this week.

"There is currently no ETA for the update regarding the P164A and P2A00 DTCs"

This is the last info I have on the codes. I also have 4x4 issues/ body or suspension crackling noise when turning right or left. Rust on front and rear chrome bumpers.

I told them that this time they will have to keep the truck until its fixed. 4500 miles on truck

Rick

Old 03-04-2011, 01:08 PM
JReinert
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rick, I know what your talking about with the body making noises when turning. I have actually crowled under the truck several time to see if I could find something loose but, never found anything. Be sure to let us know if anything is found.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:52 PM
RickSo
Junior User
JReinert,

They have installed frame/body shim that there is tech bulletin on. That didn't work. I will keep you posted.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:48 PM
mr.windows
Junior User
I am also experincing that sound on mine also, its seems to do it mainly when i turn sharp to the left and i can actually feel it on the floor, i thought it was maybe an ice chunk or something cause it seems to go away when it gets warmer out, i noticed it alot the colder it got outside so i am curiouse what you find out on that, i srarted to think it was just me but now that ive found this site i feel a little more normal!!!

Old 03-04-2011, 03:28 PM
RickSo
Junior User
Well just got off the phone with Ford Canada. The CEL is being worked on by engineers no fix. The 4x4 unlocking will not be repaired either...engineers working on that as well. They said they will get the body/suspension noise fixed...round three for that. The rusting front and rear bumpers are not covered I was told it is environmental issues. WOW! I told them that I truly believe all new Ford trucks can't be this bad and I was willing to move into another one at a reasonable price....there in lies the problem. They offered me 19K less than I paid for trade value.

It just figures that this is my first Ford.

Rick

Old 03-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm getting a few miles less per gallon from what I have seen. I feel like I fill up every other day. A reimbursement would be nice Ford!

Old 03-05-2011, 01:03 PM
mr.windows
Junior User
Im hoping someone can tell us where to file a complaint so at least Ford will throw us some kind of bone because were chewing up Diesel like candy, come on Ford lets hurry up!!!

Old 03-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
I bet there is some sort of email on the My Ford website. If I remember when I get home, I will check.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:08 PM
mr.windows
Junior User
TyWebb was going to check also he has a brother that might know who to talk to he also is having this problem too

Old 03-05-2011, 01:50 PM
TyWebb
Senior User
Put a call into my brother. He is probably working today so hope to hear back from him tomorrow.

My truck is scheduled for a Boyer shop visit on the 18th to address the CEL, clunking noise, exhaust smell in cab and oil change. I hope they have some good news for us.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:41 PM
RickSo
Junior User
Well I know here in Canada the emissions testing are not as strict as the USA EPA standards. I'll bet all these trucks with the CEL on and fumes that they are producing would not pass EPA testing...just a guess.

Got the truck back after 5 days in the shop.

Results: No fix for CEL / (P164A and P2A00 DTCs)
No fix for 4x4 unlocking / Was told this is normal for trucks that are driven in -17 Degree C (1 degree F) or colder. Was told to use manual hubs (report says SSM 21766 applies) code for they have known about the problem for a long time. HUB Seals will not hold vacuum.
Not fixed / Body-suspension noise when turning: They sprayed a silicon lubricant on all suspension points was quiet for 10 miles or so.

Name:  Ford2011_4x4suspensionspray.jpg
Views: 4906
Size:  132.5 KB

Not fixed / Rust forming on front and rear bumpers

So, that was a waste of a week without my truck. I made my $225 truck payment this week for this result. I give up.

Rick

Old 03-05-2011, 05:34 PM
mr176
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I also have the CEL and had the popping/clunking noise on left and right turns (alternating).

My dealer performed the shimming TSB, but that still didn't fix it. The tech said he put a wrench on every bolt near the front of the truck and found nothing out of spec. Eventually, he said he pulled the bolts back out of the body mounts (the bolts that he had shimmed earlier) and looked up into the holes. He said it looked like the bolts might have been touching the metal above the mounts so he ground just a little bit off the end of the bolts (shortened them just a pinch) and reinstalled them. So far (3 weeks later), no more noises on turns or driveways.

Still waiting for the CEL fix.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:27 PM
brmpipes
Elder User
my cel still on since Dec and 4x4 comeing disingaged at the worst possible times.Also mileage is at a wopping 12mpg empty lol.Gotta laugh tired of crying.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
And my windshield wiper came off while driving home tonight (the whole drivers side arm). Stopped and picked it up, shook my head from side to side and drove the few miles back home before putting it back on. When I waked in the house my wife asked "were you messing with the wipers?". I said it came flying off and then she shook her head from side to side. 5600 miles, what is yet to come!?

Old 03-05-2011, 11:46 PM
kabur66
Senior User
Originally Posted by mr.windows
i am new to this site but have been reading posts for a while now, i have read that somepeople are having check engine lights going on for air box issues, my truck has been in the dealership twice for this they say there is moisture in the air box therefore making the check engine light come on.They tell me there is currently no sollution for this problem and to go on my way its been one month now driving it this way and its very frustrating because the truck has no power once its up to normal operating temperature not to mention im sure its sucking more fuel, the dealership says they are up to 11 trucks like mine with the same problem does anyone have any info on when ford will have this corrected?
It looks like these problems are cold weather related. I am in FL and do not have any problems w my 2011 F-350 except crappy fuel mileage . . . .14 MPG.
Keep grinding on Ford. It is bad enough to pay $50K for a truck, but to have major problems is not acceptable.

Quick Reply: check engine light