6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Door Seal Mod Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cable Guy
You've got my interest. I think the rebound properties are what is at stake here. If the epdm returns to shape after repeated door closures and over time it looks like you might have a winner. My concern is that this is something that is fairly simple to do, but I only want to do it once, to reduce the chance of tearing my factory door seals fishing the tubing through.
i too only want to do it right, as the factory seals are about 100 bucks each. im a fan of doing it once and doing it right. if ford says epdm will last the life of the truck, then im thinking the mod should follow suit.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Cable Guy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't doubt it will last, my question is the rebound. The reason we are all looking into this is that the factory door seals are not sufficient. If we put the epdm in and it crushes down over time, we only have a temporary fix. Anything we put in there will help. As far as the surgical tubing goes it may and probably will crush down some over time (I think someone has already posted that it does a little). As I said before I am very interested as I have a limited budget and have to plan for these upgrades over time. The good news is this one is a relatively cheap one.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:27 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,040 Likes on 2,208 Posts
My door seals were to tight after the insertion of the tubing. It took a week-10 days and just now they are closing really nicely.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
I don't doubt it will last, my question is the rebound. The reason we are all looking into this is that the factory door seals are not sufficient. If we put the epdm in and it crushes down over time, we only have a temporary fix. Anything we put in there will help. As far as the surgical tubing goes it may and probably will crush down some over time (I think someone has already posted that it does a little). As I said before I am very interested as I have a limited budget and have to plan for these upgrades over time. The good news is this one is a relatively cheap one.
maybe should get the 100' roll and send you the remainder?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Cable Guy
Junior User
I'd be happy if you just let me know how it works.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
I'd be happy if you just let me know how it works.
Well yeah, i guess i meant if i were happy with the results

Old 05-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Looks like it might end up having to be latex due to the durometer. Latex is 35. Cant find anything else less than 50.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 PM
cdllcmn
New User
Smile

[quote=EpicCowlick;9233615]I've been getting quite a few requests for info on what the door seal mod is and how to do it. Basically, it is a way to improve the factory door seals against wind noise and rattling. There is a write-up in the tech folder but I'm also adding this video to hopefully provide more information.

EpicCowlick, I just completed this mod on my 05 supercab, I used the 3/8" vinyl with 1/4" ID. I bought two 20' rolls from lowes for less than $10, and it works wonders, I was very fed up with the rattling and shaking, now its so tight I have to make sure the door shuts all the way, wonderful!! Thanks so much for your video! I don't think I'll have breaking issues, cause I live in Alabama, so it should be fine! Thanks again, and if you're ever in Birmingham, hit me up, I'll buy ya a drink!

Old 05-26-2012, 11:16 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=cdllcmn;11874845]
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
I've been getting quite a few requests for info on what the door seal mod is and how to do it. Basically, it is a way to improve the factory door seals against wind noise and rattling. There is a write-up in the tech folder but I'm also adding this video to hopefully provide more information.

EpicCowlick, I just completed this mod on my 05 supercab, I used the 3/8" vinyl with 1/4" ID. I bought two 20' rolls from lowes for less than $10, and it works wonders, I was very fed up with the rattling and shaking, now its so tight I have to make sure the door shuts all the way, wonderful!! Thanks so much for your video! I don't think I'll have breaking issues, cause I live in Alabama, so it should be fine! Thanks again, and if you're ever in Birmingham, hit me up, I'll buy ya a drink!

Welcome to FTE!

I am always disappointed when I get in high winds with this truck. There is a lot of wind noise. We were going to Ft. Collins, CO a few moths ago and the loud whistle coming from the front windshield area was eerie. I still intend to do the door seal mod. I just can't seem to find the time.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 PM
cdllcmn
New User
[quote=marchare011;11880966]
Originally Posted by cdllcmn

Welcome to FTE!

I am always disappointed when I get in high winds with this truck. There is a lot of wind noise. We were going to Ft. Collins, CO a few moths ago and the loud whistle coming from the front windshield area was eerie. I still intend to do the door seal mod. I just can't seem to find the time.

Thanks man, and yes, you need to do this mod, my father rode yesterday with me, and he said, this thing is as quiet as a cadillac! lol Between going and buying the supplies and doing the mod, I might have 1hr. 1/2 total. Doesn't take long at all!! Happy trucking!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:41 AM
rkool
Freshman User
I did mine over the 4th. Took about 45 minutes to do all 4 doors. What a difference in the reduction of wind noise. Plus, the doors sound solid when closing. Definitely have to use silicone spray and tape up the latex tubing to the fish tape good. Great tip!!!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 PM
RBolton6
Freshman User
Well, got a roll of the EPDM tubing today. Will try the install this weekend and let you know how it performs... or not.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:46 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Just got done doing this with tubing I ordered through amazon. I was a little short of tubing. Not real sure how short because the tubing tends to stretch and then crawl when you let go of it, but not more than 12". I enlisted the help of my wife and we ended up doing the equivalent of 6 or 7 doors due to several miss steps (on her part, not mine). I'm not gonna lie, words were said, past events brought up and I think she said something about my mother.

Anywho, done deal and doors now make a nice Lexus like "thud" when closing.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Jeffhay
New User
Originally Posted by RBolton6
Well, got a roll of the EPDM tubing today. Will try the install this weekend and let you know how it performs... or not.
How did the EPDM tubing work? I'm going to do the door seal mod here soon. Looks like EPDM costs about half what surgical tubing does.