Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is using NON-modified B code springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:00 PM
loanman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
B codes are the Ford designation for the specific OEM spring that is found on the F250/350 trucks.

The RAS is the Roadmaster Active Suspension, an aftermarket overload spring that works extremely well.

ActiveSuspension.com is where you can read about the product.

Stewart

you da man!

Old 04-15-2010, 08:15 PM
loanman
Freshman User
after you mod the B springs do you use the factory 2" block or do you need the 3.5" block?

Old 04-15-2010, 09:55 PM
gabeyd
Senior User
Originally Posted by DaveandJennyP
I apologize for not knowing what I am talking about. My truck must ride and tow like crap with springs like those on it huh?
Sorry, I didn't mean to jump on you or anything, I was just pointing out that the way you modded the B codes, you aren't really going to get an overload, at least not the way it originally worked. You modded them in the same way as many others have, and I think all of them are happy with the way they turned out. But I don't think they are really a dual rate spring anymore once modded that way. Seems to work well for most people that have done it that way though.

The original design, as the suspension compressed, the thick flat spring on the bottom - the overload spring - came more and more in contact with the springs above it in the pack, and contributed more and more to the overall spring effect. You can probably picture that if you think of how the original spring looked and think about how it bends as it gets weight added. In the mod version, since there are shorter springs above it, it can't really touch the whole spring pack and add much to the compression.

Still, like I say, many seem to find it works well that way in any case...

Old 04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
DaveandJennyP
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I did my B's the concensus was that a stock B code spring on an Excursion would already be "loaded" and on the helper because of the extra weight of the Excursion. This I was told would lead to a rougher ride because the designed "soft" part of the travel was already used up. Then add tongue weight to the mix and you would only be on the helper that much more. Like I said before I made my decision on a lot of reading and recomendations of people that have done this and know a lot more about it than I do. I also realize others (like Stewart_H) have stock B's and are happy towing with them as well.

A stock B code and RAS, now that might be something, but FWIW, I had the RAS on my stock Excursion springs and didn't think it did much to improve handling. I sold it to another gentleman on this site. Many others refered to it as a "Band-aid" to a spring that should not have been put on an Excursion.

There is a thread with this exact same title on another site if someone is looking for info straight from where i got it.

Dave.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:05 PM
Lloyd Green
New User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Just use the OEM 2" block and add the RAS, you should be golden!

Stewart
I know this is an old thread, but looking at making the change now.

I have a 2004 Excursion. 10 years ago put air-bags and RAS on the rear. Got a new, bigger trailer this year and put the X springs on the front, but now the front is too high unless i am running 100psi in the bags. Want to switch to the B code rears, and trying to determine if i need the 3.5 inch blocks or should just mod the leafs like others have done. If i switch to the 3.5" blocks will have have to get a different air bag kit due to a different mounting point. Do I really need the 3.5 blocks if I already have the RAS?

Thanks
Lloyd

Old 02-06-2021, 06:27 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lloyd Green
I know this is an old thread, but looking at making the change now.

I have a 2004 Excursion. 10 years ago put air-bags and RAS on the rear. Got a new, bigger trailer this year and put the X springs on the front, but now the front is too high unless i am running 100psi in the bags. Want to switch to the B code rears, and trying to determine if i need the 3.5 inch blocks or should just mod the leafs like others have done. If i switch to the 3.5" blocks will have have to get a different air bag kit due to a different mounting point. Do I really need the 3.5 blocks if I already have the RAS?

Thanks
Lloyd
I am, I don’t tow anything heavy like you have, snowmobile trailer, if I towed heavier I would put the blocks in, sits a bit low in the rear, fwiw.

Old 04-07-2022, 03:20 PM
tbwonder
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last question before V/modified B swap this weekend

Last ?…..hs anyone found a need to replace those nylon spacers that are between the individual leafs? Or are they in good solid shape and not really deteriorated.

truck has about 120….could imagine little nylon spacers disintegrating when I get them apart…or they could be fine.

anyone suggest getting these….or No?

if so what’s the part?

thanks all…will post pics!

Old 04-07-2022, 05:17 PM
aeroshots
Cross-Country
Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tbwonder
Last ?…..hs anyone found a need to replace those nylon spacers that are between the individual leafs? Or are they in good solid shape and not really deteriorated.

truck has about 120….could imagine little nylon spacers disintegrating when I get them apart…or they could be fine.

anyone suggest getting these….or No?

if so what’s the part?

thanks all…will post pics!
If it helps any, pro comp springs don't even have them. That being said, the ones in my removed factory springs were in good shape at 120k miles.

Old 04-11-2022, 12:50 AM
kev03
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I had new springs put on my excursion and had the spring shop put a leaf out of the old springs in the front to make it level. it raised the excursion 2and 1/2 inches.