Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is using NON-modified B code springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Just use the OEM 2" block and add the RAS, you should be golden!

Stewart
B code springs with 2" block AND RAS? Won't I have driveline angle problems? Seems like the addition of RAS will make the driveline angle even more severe. I can try it...but it sure is a lot of work.

Has anyone tried this combination?

Old 02-20-2010, 11:47 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Forest
B code springs with 2" block AND RAS? Won't I have driveline angle problems? Seems like the addition of RAS will make the driveline angle even more severe. I can try it...but it sure is a lot of work.

Has anyone tried this combination?
OEM 2" plus the RAS should put you right about where the 3.5" tapered block would be.

I think anymore lift that that and the pinion angle might be out of optimum, but I'm basing that on others who have posted vibration occuring after using a 4" square block.

Stewart

Old 02-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Forest
Posting Guru
Sorry--I was not clear.

I have already installed the V,B code springs. B code springs on the rear along with the 3.5" tapered block.

I have 2 concerns:

1) The rake of the truck is a bit much without load (about 1.5" higher in rear than in front).
2) Since I tow heavy, I'm seriously considering ALSO adding the RAS for the rear springs. I actually have already tried this and the rake becomes more like 2.5" and the Excursion will no longer go into our garage. The RAS springs are sitting on my workbench while I decide what to do.

If I could lower the rear about 1.5" and then add the RAS, it seems that I would have an ideal combination for towing heavy. But...I am really worried that my driveline angles would be too far off with a straight 2" block.

So, my question remains...does Ford make a tapered 2" or 2.5" block for this application? Or is there another way to correct driveline angle?

Old 02-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
You were clear bro.

Do you still have the OEM blocks that came on your Excursion? If yes, drop back down to those and add the RAS. See how that drives and tows. See if there is any vibration. I'm betting you will probably be ok, based on the information guys have posted here over the years with their slightly divergent modifications, as well as my own experience.

Even though the OEM block isn't tapered, I'm betting you will still be within the optimum range for your Excursions pinion angle.

I know it's a lot of work, but since you already have all the parts right there, it's a sure fire way to see if the OEM block, B code spring, and RAS will work ok!

Stewart

Old 02-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Stewart--Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to try it. I've got all the parts, including original U-bolts (that I would replace with new after checking).

Taking the family to DisneyWorld in March. Trying to get everything set up just right. I've actually only towed about 20 miles with the 2005 (and V/B set up). It seemed OK, but I'll be adding Hellwig and maybe the RAS before we go in 3 weeks. Stability is king when towing in a cross-wind.

Now, if it would just warm up a little bit...

Old 02-22-2010, 09:43 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
You were clear bro.

Even though the OEM block isn't tapered, I'm betting you will still be within the optimum range for your Excursions pinion angle.

I know it's a lot of work, but since you already have all the parts right there, it's a sure fire way to see if the OEM block, B code spring, and RAS will work ok!

Stewart
I've see you post this a couple times now. My factory blocks are tapered. Would be interesting to know how much taper the various blocks have in order to keep pinion angles good.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:32 AM
dave91gt
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine vibrates with either tapered 3.5 blocks or factory blocks......
Sorry. Had to say it.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by MagKarl
I've see you post this a couple times now. My factory blocks are tapered.
Really? Wow! First I've heard about factory 2" blocks being tapered. Mine weren't, and way back when I did this mod, everything I read on the different forums stated the OEM blocks were square.

Thanks for posting that. I's good to know that exist...good info to have for others.

Stewart

Old 02-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by dave91gt
Mine vibrates with either tapered 3.5 blocks or factory blocks......
Sorry. Had to say it.
If your suspension is still factory stock then it's not your pinion angle.

Stewart

Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Wild_MN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I have modded f-code springs and really could use a two inch tapered block. The above poster says his are tapered can anyone confirm a part number? I have had an 02 and 03 excusrion and only square blocks. Anyone make a 2" tapered block that will not alter the excursion ride height?

Old 04-04-2010, 09:31 PM
nyvp
Junior User
sorry to jump in ...have a 03 6.0 limited and wanted to put in a 34.7 tire (325/50r22) would the V + B be enough? I dont really want to move up to a 4"

Old 04-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Macmathews
Elder User
No

Originally Posted by nyvp
sorry to jump in ...have a 03 6.0 limited and wanted to put in a 34.7 tire (325/50r22) would the V + B be enough? I dont really want to move up to a 4"

IMO - you will rub !

Kyle

Old 04-05-2010, 09:43 AM
nyvp
Junior User
so what do you think i would need to add to the V+B to fit 34.7 ?

Old 04-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Depending on the tire, you'd rub a tad on full lock with 315's.

X codes on the front might give you enough space, but you'd have to search the forums and see if it would work.

Stewart

Old 04-05-2010, 05:37 PM
bjis
Junior User
Ok got a 2000 4x4 V-10 285-70-16 138,000 miles and the front spring are so bad they arch the other way. What swap should i do all around to get it riding good when i tow the bobcat and camper both close to 10,000 pounds cause trust me its like a tank and in all 3 lines lol thanks for the input. dont care bout the size of tire i need new ones lol

Quick Reply: Who is using NON-modified B code springs?