Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is using NON-modified B code springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:25 PM
grungepuppy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who is using NON-modified B code springs?

I have everything I need now but this whole modifying the B codes with parts and pieces from the old springs is driving me crazy trying to figure out. It seems there are at least 3 different ways to do it and everyone thinks theirs is the best. I also don't want down time and would rather just do a strait swap.<O</O
So who is running the B codes without any modifications and what is your ride like?<O</O

Old 02-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean.

I bought new "B" code springs for the rear, but I also installed the 3.5" tapered block under them.

I like the ride, but I may re-install the original 2" straight blocks to get the rear of the truck back down.

Does that help?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Forest
I'm not sure what you mean.

I bought new "B" code springs for the rear, but I also installed the 3.5" tapered block under them.

I like the ride, but I may re-install the original 2" straight blocks to get the rear of the truck back down.

Does that help?
No, you're using straight B code springs. He's referring to the modified B's some guys run.

You make a modifed B by taking the two shortest leaves from the Excursion spring packs and add them to the B code spring pack, placing the leaves between the shortest leaf of the B code, and the bottom overload leaf. You also remove the sheet metal spacers that came on the B codes and replace them with the 1/8" spacers from the Excursion springs.

I have the non-modded B codes and have been happy with the ride and stance.

Forest, if you go back down to the stock blocks, be mindful of driveline vibrations. There have been reported cases of vibrations with B codes and stock blocks due to the pinion angle being slightly out of optimum.

If I ever get extra cash, I'll probably modify my B's, and swap out the V's for a set of W's.

Stewart

Old 02-13-2010, 10:26 AM
grungepuppy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep Stewart is right that is what I am talking about.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
No, you're using straight B code springs. He's referring to the modified B's some guys run.

You make a modifed B by taking the two shortest leaves from the Excursion spring packs and add them to the B code spring pack, placing the leaves between the shortest leaf of the B code, and the bottom overload leaf. You also remove the sheet metal spacers that came on the B codes and replace them with the 1/8" spacers from the Excursion springs.

I have the non-modded B codes and have been happy with the ride and stance.

Forest, if you go back down to the stock blocks, be mindful of driveline vibrations. There have been reported cases of vibrations with B codes and stock blocks due to the pinion angle being slightly out of optimum.

If I ever get extra cash, I'll probably modify my B's, and swap out the V's for a set of W's.

Stewart

Old 02-13-2010, 09:22 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Stewert,
just a FYI, I put aftermarket springs from a spring shop in the front of my 2000 X. I don't know if I can explan this correctly but in the "Spring Book" the V code springs are not rated the same as the Ford springs you get from dealership. The springs I put in are rated at 5200 lbs (2600 each) but are called a W code spring in the spring book. I can't remember who makes the spring but can get it. Total cost was 390.00 for new springs and U bolts.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:31 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by grungepuppy
I have everything I need now but this whole modifying the B codes with parts and pieces from the old springs is driving me crazy trying to figure out. It seems there are at least 3 different ways to do it and everyone thinks theirs is the best. I also don't want down time and would rather just do a strait swap.<o></o>
So who is running the B codes without any modifications and what is your ride like?<o></o>

I've also got the unmodded B's, and like em the way they are. I have the larger tapered block in there also, to match the height of the front with the V's. Very glad I went ahead and did this.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 02-14-2010, 03:01 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by jdw1
Hey Stewart,
just a FYI, I put aftermarket springs from a spring shop in the front of my 2000 X. I don't know if I can explan this correctly but in the "Spring Book" the V code springs are not rated the same as the Ford springs you get from dealership. The springs I put in are rated at 5200 lbs (2600 each) but are called a W code spring in the spring book. I can't remember who makes the spring but can get it. Total cost was 390.00 for new springs and U bolts.
I'm not following. V code springs ARE Ford springs, designated as such by Ford. They are OEM springs that came on the F250/350, and are purchased at dealerships.

I don't know what spring book you refer to, but V codes have a rated capacity of 5,200, the W's have a rated capacity of 5,600. Plus, you get approximately an inch more lift from the W's over the V's.

Stewart

Old 02-15-2010, 05:31 AM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
I don't know what spring book you refer to, but V codes have a rated capacity of 5,200, the W's have a rated capacity of 5,600. Plus, you get approximately an inch more lift from the W's over the V's.

Stewart[/quote]

The springs i put in are "Triangle" brand springs made in USA,you can google them, the book i refer to is the book used by spring shops to order springs. Sorry I am not good at explaining this. If you call a suspension shop and ask for a "V" code spring you will not likely get a 5'200 lbs spring, I ran into this at two differant shop's while shopping for springs. Ether a misprint or mis information on ford's part to keep people confused. Hope this helps.
I have a friend that has "X"'s and his 04 F-350 sits 1" higher than my 02 F-350 with "V"'s, I think the big differance comes in when we pick our snow plow's of the ground not when the front is unloaded.
Sorry for Hyjacked thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:47 AM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Letter spring codes that are usually discussed here refer to Ford designated codes. Any aftermarket company that may call their springs by a letter code are not describing the same springs that Ford uses or that is commonly referred to in the forums.

So, if you want a v code or an X code like is being described here, order it from Ford.

Aside from that, you will have to tell your spring provider the number, length, and thickness of leaves, the arch, and all dimensions to get the same lift or ride.

If your friend has Ford X codes, then they are 6000lb rate springs. They were available in the F250/350 diesel only if the snowplow package was ordered. The reason for the huge rate, which is greater than the capacity of the front axle, was to reduce bounce with the plow attached. And yes, the W and X codes have a 1 inch or so greater arch.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:57 AM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Just as a extra trivia. The X code springs are one of the standard springs for the F450 and 550 along with W codes. Mostly on diesel untill it gets into DRW and supercabs. Then it is V10's also.

The X code was also standard for the chassis cab F350/450 with ambulance or snowplow

Old 02-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by jdw1
If you call a suspension shop and ask for a "V" code spring you will not likely get a 5'200 lbs spring, I ran into this at two differant shop's while shopping for springs. Ether a misprint or mis information on ford's part to keep people confused.
Like I stated in my above post,

V code springs ARE Ford springs, designated as such by Ford. They are OEM springs that came on the F250/350, and are purchased at dealerships.
...and as Bion stated below your post..

Originally Posted by housedad
Letter spring codes that are usually discussed here refer to Ford designated codes. Any aftermarket company that may call their springs by a letter code are not describing the same springs that Ford uses or that is commonly referred to in the forums.
Aftermarket spring code designations have nothing to do with the OEM designations people use on this forum and other forums like it.

Hope this helps
It does. It helps us to again explain why you're not getting the same rated capacity spring as the OEM springs, using the same designation.

You need to go to the dealership if you want to order the same springs we're talking about, or if you prefer to order aftermarket, then you will have to order by spring capacity. But remember, if you go with aftermarket, the height change over the stock springs you see us talking about may not hold true for you.

Stewart

Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Does anybody know what the capacity of the "B" 's are?

What is the advantage of the modified "B"?

Thanks

Old 02-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Tad more lift with tad more capacity.

Dunno what the B code capacity is though, sorry.

Stewart

Old 02-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stewart
Stewart--is there such a thing as a tapered 2" block? Or does anyone make a wedge to allow the 2" block to be tapered?

My X is a bit high in the rear. I can't install RAS springs on the rear springs because it would raise the rear end another 1" on top of the 1.5" of positive rake I have now.

I am concerned about possible driveline vibrations if I change back to straight 2" blocks.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Just use the OEM 2" block and add the RAS, you should be golden!

Stewart

Quick Reply: Who is using NON-modified B code springs?