1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

First Time Noob post

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like your doing a great job, and I'm sure your helper is having fun also. Its very easy to get power out of a engine and be able to keep your PS,PB, and AC. I would not get rid of any comforts that came on the truck stock. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:12 PM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

Front Frame

A few pics of the chassis.

Attached Images    
Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 AM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

short update

Hey Grinner,

Been away from the shop for a while. The Cab is waiting for some epoxy primer. It's been too cold and wet around here for me to shoot paint on it. Ambient humidity is an issue in my part of the world. I don't have access to a climate controlled spray booth... so I make do with what I've got.

I picked up a 750 cfm Holley 4150 carb, an edelbrock streetmaster intake manifold(for the torque it's supposed to make), and a K&N Xstream air filter. It's all used stuff I bought off a couple of hotrodders. I think it may work for me with what I'm shooting for with the motor (some torque monster that puts out about 500+ HP on pump gas).

Here's a link on the Streetmaster 460 intake I found on FTE

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...arb-ideas.html

I'm a little concerned about the carb because the PO had the choke horn milled off. I did some research into this and it seems this was a common strategy 15-20 years ago before Holley came out with a double pumper with a ported main body. They call these their HP series 4150 carbs on the Holley site. So old hot rod and race guys would mill and port 4150 carbs to get more flow through the venturis. AT any rate if this carb was screwed by the milling job, I may just buy a new main body for it and rebuild the carb.

I've put the engine and tranny back in the chassis so I can test fit some headers this week. Then I plan to remove the engine & tranny so I can return to finishing the paint on the cab.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 AM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

Hey 77393 thanks for the encouragement!

Old 04-21-2012, 08:33 PM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

Smile Laying down the primer

I've done it. I started the paint. Getting primer done today on the cab.

Attached Images   
Old 04-21-2012, 08:37 PM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

Primered the console too.

Here's the console too. Its starting to come together.

I finally nailed down a color. I've ordered some basecoat and clear from the local parts store. I'm going with the original Limestone Green, or for those who love the Mustangs from 1973/4 the same color was called Medium Lime Green.

Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2012, 08:45 PM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

Limestone Green

Here's a picture. of a Limestone Green Bronco. Thanks to N747JB from the Classic Bronco Forum for the picture.

Attached Images  
Old 04-22-2012, 08:44 AM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Color equals MASSIVE motivation.

Those tents work out pretty good huh. If you run across some of those bungees with the ***** on them...get extra...you will need them soon. Marine stores or good hardware stores will have thicker cord. The ones that come with the tents are junk.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:14 AM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Color equals MASSIVE motivation.

Those tents work out pretty good huh. If you run across some of those bungees with the ***** on them...get extra...you will need them soon. Marine stores or good hardware stores will have thicker cord. The ones that come with the tents are junk.
I looove having that tent. Right now its stacked full of parts and bits n pieces. I had to clear out my garage(shop) for the painting. It's still too cool and damp to paint outside where I live.

I put together a good moisture extraction system for my compressed air. I read about it in the HAMB. I packed a coiled up air hose in a bucket of ice. Then I put a moisture collector/filter on the line after the ice coil. I finished up with an in-line mini filter/moisture trap just before my hvlp gun. So far so good. The water is staying out of the air line.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 AM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

How much paint do you think I'm going to need for the truck? I've never painted an entire vehicle before, so I am a little stuck with quantity. The research I've done seems to lead me to 3 gallons of paint. It seems like a lot of paint.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:55 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Sounds right to me. I would assume your going to paint the inside of the fenders,hood and doors. Possibly the inside of the bed so I think that sounds right.

I'm pretty sure Tim did 2 coats of color and 3 clear on my truck. It was a metallic though so I think it might take a bit more to get proper coverage. You can get a Sun gun which duplicates sunlight so you can be sure you got good coverage on the color.

Your going to want some touch up (maybe not a gallon though) for oopsy daisies when you reassemble.

Are you shooting high build on before you paint? Some kinda fun there. Always a joy to throw a straight edge on it only to find a few low spots that appeared from nowhere.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:58 PM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Sounds right to me. I would assume your going to paint the inside of the fenders,hood and doors. Possibly the inside of the bed so I think that sounds right.

Are you shooting high build on before you paint? Some kinda fun there. Always a joy to throw a straight edge on it only to find a few low spots that appeared from nowhere.
I'm going to use a high build filler coat once I've done the guide coat and taken care of my mess-ups.

Right now I'm prepping my fron quarters for primer. I've taken the emblems off and am having a little trouble with the emblem adhesive. Is there a solvent that works better for softening this stuff up?

I just don't want to go out and buy another can of some proprietary emblem glue dissolver. I know I'm cheap, but man I've got multiple cans of different thinners, solvents, pre wipes, final wipes, and degreasers kickin' around my shop right now. It's a good thing I don't smoke.

Attached Images   

Last edited by HardkaseDaddy; 05-01-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-22-2012, 06:14 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Sandpaper.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:57 PM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

Angry Murphy's Law

Well Murphy's Law struck today.

The parts store I was going to buy the paint from lost the part I gave them to color match. I'm out one steering column beauty cover. They want me to give them another chunk off of my truck to send out for color match! I have to sleep on it tonight.

The part's not expensive or really difficult to replace. I think its the principle of the thing that makes me a little unwilling to buy from these guys right now.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 PM
HardkaseDaddy
Senior User

Paint Lesson #1

Well good news! I took delivery of my paint. The parts place found my color match part.

I learned my first paint lesson on adjusting the HVLP gun today. I spent sunday and part of monday evening wet sanding the primer on the hood of the truck. I was using too little air pressure and put big blobs of 2k primer all over the hood. It's OK... I think I got it fixed now.

Quick Reply: First Time Noob post