1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas vs PSD

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:30 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by HookedOnReefing

You don't have to trust the magazine articles, but come on. It's just simple math. I'll say it again, a stock 7.3 PSD produces 250 HP & 505 lb-ft Torque. A stock V10 produces 362 HP & 457 lb-ft Torque.

With those numbers, there is NO WAY a 7.3 can out do the V10.
Originally Posted by Ballswedge
A whole lot more than a stock 7.3L.
I'll believe it when I see it. I said it earlier, find me a crew cab short box V10 4x4 auto with the same gearing (3.73) and tires (285/75/16) as I have, a hill, and a trailer. I'd really like to see which one gets the job done more effectively (not which one goes the fastest over the top).
Now we are going to get into the whole "but the V10 needs at least 4.10's to pull good" argument aren't we?

Old 06-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A P/U truck on the West Coast that sees all its life in rural west coast ie out of the cities and in the rural areas you will be lucky to get 350,000-400,000 kilometers (218,000- 249,000 miles) out of the truck.

For one the twisty roads twist the trucks apart you can see the body fatigue in the trucks with cab mount rubbers cracked and the body sagging. Usually the rust is into the truck like rear spring hangers rusted off the frame. Fuel tanks rusted out.

Second problem your into major front end work replacing ball joints and U joints etc. A truck that is 10 years old plan on spending 2 grand on front end work truck usually has 220,000 kms (137,000 miles).

These roads also eat tires on my F-450 I'am lucky to get 30,000kms (19,000 miles) out of the 19.5 rubber. Summer time and hot roads forget it you can peal 3/16s of rubber off the front tires in no time.

Regular 16 inch rubber your lucky to get 16,000 miles out of them.

The rust is the biggest killer if the frame has rust and is rusted out the truck is junk. Rotted out brake lines and backing plates rusted off. Once the body has rust you might aswell say its a loosing battle.

A high kilometerage truck is going to cost you money constantly untill you completely rebuilt the truck from ground up. Start with the front end like I said at 2 grand then start on the springs on all 4 corners another 2 grand. Now you have a leaking fuel tank oh another 400 dollars.

The steep or what you guys would call steep grades wears things out like brakes, transmissions and rear axle gears. If you pulled a 12,000lb trailer everyday here I bet you would burn up ring and pinions every 6 months. The rear axle would be so hot you could cook eggs on it.

What the vehical manufactures say is the tow ratings is a JOKE subtract 10% of what they say and thats what you can safely tow in the hills.

As for the 7.3 its a good engine its a dinosaur. The 6.0 couldn't have been a good engine if it wasn't rushed to production. Maybe not in the USA but here in B.C. Canada 7.3 PSD parts are becoming discontinued like starters and other parts. Trying to get 7.3 parts from the Ford dealer is getting tougher.

I owned a 95 7.3 PSD it was okay but it wasn't big power no where near what I have now with a stock 6.0. I don't think I would ever want to own a 7.3 again for one the noise would drive me nuts. I'am tired of noisy clatter I get enough of it being around heavy equipment and trucks. The 7.3 is a deafining clatter not as bad as a 24 valve Cummins which is excessivly noisy.

Like I said I get enough noise passing through my ears maybe you guys with desk jobs or jobs where your not working around trucks all day.

You can't stick in the past you have to move forward. The 6.0 will be the last diesel will ever own the 6.4 is a emissions pig that will cost you big money once the warranty has run out. I'am not paying extra for a engine that will cost you money constantly.

I don't know what your guys thing is with pulling trailers or driving with a load fast. Thats what they make bigger trucks for ie medium duty and class 8 trucks. I would rather drive a medium duty truck pulling a 12,000lb trailer than my F-450 or F-550. I like the fact with a medium duty truck like a 5 ton truck with air brakes that you step on the brakes it stops.

Again the flat landers or places where you may have one steep hill and the rest is flat have no clue what its like to drive in hills everyday. Soon as you leave your house your either climbing or decending a hill (8-10% grade). When you live on rural coastal British Columbia its what you deal with.

Peoples driveways to their houses have 15% grades that go for 500 feet or more.

Horsepower in my mind is the least of my worries it is can I stop with the load. My F-450 has the same brakes as a 19,000lb gvw F-550 but there is no way I could safely run my F-450 at 19,000lbs not enough brakes. Maybe when Ford put that rating on the F-550 it was for flat land only.

If you tow a trailer your trailer brakes have to be flawless if you have one trailer brake that doesn't work good luck.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:59 PM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Alot of people say that a diesel truck is just getting broken in at 150,000 miles. Or that even with 250,000 miles the diesel will sell quicker than a gasser with the same mileage.

I just have to ask about the common components that both the gasser and diesel share. What about wheel bearings, bushings, rotors, rear suspension, axle bearings, drivers seat, door hinges, body integrity, wiper motor, heater blower, steering box, etc. The longevity and durability of these and many other components have nothing to do with what engine is in the truck.

I wouldn't buy neither a gasser or a diesel pickup truck with 150,000 miles let alone 250,000 miles.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:33 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by bucci
Alot of people say that a diesel truck is just getting broken in at 150,000 miles. Or that even with 250,000 miles the diesel will sell quicker than a gasser with the same mileage.

I just have to ask about the common components that both the gasser and diesel share. What about wheel bearings, bushings, rotors, rear suspension, axle bearings, drivers seat, door hinges, body integrity, wiper motor, heater blower, steering box, etc. The longevity and durability of these and many other components have nothing to do with what engine is in the truck.

I wouldn't buy neither a gasser or a diesel pickup truck with 150,000 miles let alone 250,000 miles.
I know what you mean, and I used to be the same way but...
last year I bought the 99 I own now in February with 162k on the ticker. The truck was in remarkably good condition inside, outside, and underneath for a truck with that mileage. Though I was hesitant, I took a chance and bought it. So far, so good... it's been a really good truck. Yes, I've had to put some money into it, but who's to say I wouldn't have had to on a different truck?
I never have, and probably never will, buy a new truck off the lot. Past maintenance and care means more to me than mileage, because that (along with how the rig was used) will play a big part in determining whether or not you get a good apple or a bad apple.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:58 PM
whattatruck250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My pic wont post.WTF? Never had that prob b4.Has the code changed?

Old 06-30-2009, 04:18 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by whattatruck250
My pic wont post.WTF? Never had that prob b4.Has the code changed?
Not that I know of...

Old 06-30-2009, 05:02 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace!
Without giving any reasons whatsoever, the V10 is better. The PSD is a crap engine and should be scrapped by Ford. Ford should only offer their current 3V V10 in all vehicles, from Focus to F-Series to beyond. I think they should power the current space shuttle with the V10, but no matter how many letters I've sent to my congress persons and NASA they haven't accepted the idea yet.
7.3 liter.

Thank you.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:11 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Boy the gas vs diesel debate rages on. Ill say this a 2003 7.3 is a night an day difference then then the 95 7.3. Much quieter an way more power. Id say drive a 7.3 for a day an a V 10 then come to a conclusion. If your towing a bunch like I do diesel is the only way to go. If you tow occassionally Im sure a V 10 will do just fine.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:21 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Originally Posted by Bear 1
Real Trucks don't have spark plugs!!
Originally Posted by bill11012
" real trucks don't have glow plugs"?
Real trucks won't have either.
Originally Posted by Ballswedge
Real trucks also have GVWRs in excess of 25k, have stacks for a purpose, displace over 8 liters, and usually have 10+ wheels.
/thread

Originally Posted by Kenworth
...here on the West Coast of Canada...
Where are you from, Kenworth?
Originally Posted by mongo75
... as long as it's a Ford, your GOLD in my book!
Amen.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:38 PM
meanv10
Elder User
Originally Posted by mongo75
I'd like to put them on rollers next to eachother

I'm starting to feel like this thread is more of a way to increase my post count that a civil argument
From the money I didnt have to spend on a diesel, i put on a blower, tires and still do gears and just be at the premium for the 7.3L.

Oh and you can get a gasser to "blow coal" or whatever you guys call it, it's called washing down the cylinder walls with a rich tune, any engine can do it.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:00 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Wow, I'm late to this party. A couple of other guys brought popcorn and lawn chairs. I'll bring the beer.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:01 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Originally Posted by cpdorroh
I'll bring the beer.
Wanna pass me one of those?

Old 06-30-2009, 06:08 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by cpdorroh
Wow, I'm late to this party. A couple of other guys brought popcorn and lawn chairs. I'll bring the beer.
better not be the cheap stuff.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:09 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Originally Posted by bigrigfixer
Wanna pass me one of those?
Here you go buddy.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:10 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier