1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas vs PSD

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:26 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote=
One thing I think that diesels have over gassers (maybe this is changing now, I haven't been following gassers too closely lately) is that high mileage on a diesel pickup doesn't scare people like high mileage on a gasser. Many consider 100-150k just broken in for a diesel and don't bat an eye at that kind of mileage. Do people still get twitterpated as a gasser gets between that 150-200k mark?[/quote]
no, my 160K v10 is still going strong and shows no sighn of giving out.
it still burns no oil, and pulls hard.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:35 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
Has any one mentioned yet that ford is not making a V10 gas any more? That right there tells you something.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:58 PM
triskit16
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballswedge

1. You ALWAYS have to change filters every 10-15k that cost more than all 10 of my plugs combined that I have to change every 100k.

2. Yes, lets talk about the "ejecting" of parts. Or even the "blowing" or "leaking" or how about even the "complete catastrophic failure" of some parts....(that last one should be a Registered Trademark of the Ford Motor Company when used in reference to the "powerstroke diesel") Don't go there, you diesel guys have much more to keep up on than us gassers do, such as EGR coolers, head gaskets and variable vane turbo failures. Two of those little examples cost more to repair on your diesels than the replacement of a complete 2v v10 engine.

I see PSD trucks on flatbed trailers DAILY. My v10 truck has never seen so much as a repair facility ever. Heck, I've only seen like 8 other V10 trucks period. PSDs are like a**holes, everyone has one.

HEY! I know another couple of things that diesels can do better than gas engines, and we wouldn't want to forget these;

1. leave you stranded often.

2. cost you 2-5 times more to repair and service.

3. get you real friendly with wrecker drivers and service representatives at dealers.

LOL, it's all in fun right?

BTW: the truck in my sig gets 10-13 mpg.
I do change my filters regularly. Fuel filter and oil filter...bout 30 bucks for both. Ejecting of parts?! Maybe the 6.0, but never happend with my 7.3. Ive been towed 1 time in 10 years, and that was before I found FTE, but it didnt leave me stranded. I agree with Chase, you really cant group all PSDs in the same category.

Originally Posted by dkf
Its rumored that Ford is dropping the V10 in the F-250 and F-350 for the 2011 model year just like the they are axing the 6.4l. The V10 supposibly will still be available in the E series, F-450/F-550 chassis cabs and the large motorhome chassis. I'm not shure if the V10 will still be available for the industrial generator market.

Just because it is rumored that Ford is discontinuing the V10 it doesn't tell you anything. The V10 has been in Fords lineup for well over 10 years and will still remain in the line-up in certain applications. The V10 will be available for more years than the 7.3l was.
Hasnt the 7.3 been around since the late 80s? Granted it wasnt always turbocharged...but still been around a long time. Makes it easy to say it will be around a long time when they dont produce them anymore. I think they are both great power plants V10 and the 7.3, but I have no experience with the later PSDs nor do I want any. My buddy has a V10 and we have honestly never gotten in a whizzin match over them. Each can pick up the slack where the other one leaves off. Thats part of the reason you will always see us driving together!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:00 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by bill11012
no, my 160K v10 is still going strong and shows no sighn of giving out.
it still burns no oil, and pulls hard.
My question was... if there are 2 similar trucks sitting on a lot for sale. One gas, one diesel. Same price, both have 220k miles on them. Which one would go away first? My guess is diesel, because in general people are less worried about mileage on a diesel rig because of their reputation for having great longevity.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gee, I am going to have to go get another bowl of popcorn and another beer!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:20 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HookedOnReefing

I do not agree with your statement quoted above. While your 460 gasser might not have been able to hang with your 7.3 up the pass, stock for stock, the V10 can easily out do your 7.3 up the climbs. See my earlier post above pulling a 10,500# trailer on 7% & 15% climbs which was quoted from the "Heavy Duty Shootout".

The PSD's are also much more expensive to maintain. The fixed maintenance cost are much higher compared to the V10. Just compare the basic cost of having to do the oil/filter changes! Repairs cost much more as well.

Owning a new diesel only makes sense if you plan to drive it until the wheels fall off. Because if we look at the big picture, the difference in MPG, 3-4mpg's, is hardly there. You would have to drive a LOT of miles to break even with the $6,300 price difference at today's fuel prices and when you then factor in the higher fixed preventative maintenance cost, I doubt you can make it up. I'd like to see somebodies calculations.

I think the story only changes if you purchase a PSD used with a few years on it and get a good deal on it. IF the purchase price difference between the PSD and V10 changes, only then the PSD would win hands down.

The V10 has a rareness factor, they're definitely not dime-a-dozen. BUT, all diesels for that matter, have, imo, a coolness factor that the V10 just doesn't have
I don't trust those magazine articles. Most are written by guys who haven't pulled anything bigger than a trash can. They think a 10k trailer is something huge. I have pulled trailers with friends that run V10's. It makes them mad when they get passed on every hill longer than a 1/2 mile. (BTW mine is stock, no programming) Not to mention they struggle to get 8 mpg towing while I can easily get 13 and if I dont push it too hard I get 14. Even towing my 18k lb backhoe I make 11 mpg.

As far as cost if you purchase new. You don't have to try to get the entire option cost out it through mileage savings. When you sell it you will recoup most of the option cost. Just look at used prices. Even with today's market there is a several thousand price difference in V10 vs PSD on the used market.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:45 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lots of bickering over a diesel versus gas.

For one most 7.3 PSDs here on the West Coast of Canada make 400,000 kilometers and they are starting to get unreliable and costing you big money. At 400,000kms the truck is thrashed the body is rusting off of it and needs a complete rebuild. A big difference bettween a truck that lives in a wet salt air enviroment from the salt water bodies of water. The roads wear the trucks out too your dealing with busted springs and wornout suspension parts. If you work it hard your doing brake jobs every 4-6 months.

Trying to find a good used diesel truck that is in good shape good luck. Try find a used truck with a V-10 forget it you have to pry it out of the owners hands they won't sell it.

Many V-10 trucks in the area have never been touched just a basic tune up but nothing else. Guys with 7.3 PSDs they are changing turbos, injector problems etc.

I can only wish I bought a V-10 over the 6.0 I have now. Ya the 6.0 has some power but it has cost me big money changing parts.

Around here if your pulling a 8000-10000lb trailer every day your not doing it with a P/U truck sorry but you will wear a P/U truck out in 2 years and the maintenance costs would kill you. Maybe where the land is flat and you don't have to worry about brakes etc you can do it. When the smallest grade is 10% you buy a medium duty truck.

I guess some of you haven't experienced brake fade and melting brake rotors

In todays market diesel P/Us are not worth it not for the 8900 Canadian dollar extra on a new truck. Then you have the 80 dollar fuel filters and the 120 dollar oil changes on the 6.4.

You guys can preach that the 7.3 can go the miles it isn't the case everywhere in North America. If you live in the flat lander areas ya it can go big miles if you live in the places where you call 10% grades hills the 7.3 doesn't live that long.

As I said 400,000kms (249,000 miles) is about max lifespan for a 7.3 after that plan on spending the money on a rebuilt that will be the tune of 10 grand. Used diesel trucks are a dime a dozen because parts and repairs cost you a arm and a leg. On the same note the V-10s usually in the same boat.

Not sure if a 6.0 or 6.4 will go 400,000 kilometers nobody has put that many kilometers on one yet. The average kilometers per year a person puts on a P/U truck is 30,000 (19000 miles). People live close to where they work it saves money it saves the enviroment and who in the h*ll wants to drive 1.5 hours each way to work. I drive 30 mins each way and that is enough. The only time my truck sees kilometers if I'am making money with the truck.

Driving around in a P/U truck doesn't make money. My F-450 makes 70 dollars per hour when I'am hauling with it. No I don't pull trailers all the loads I haul are on its back. A trailer is absolutly useless for me because it can't go where I need to go.

Trailer tow ratings mean nothing for me its how much payload can you get on the back before the frame bends. Brakes is the biggest limiting factor with the weight I can carry on my F-450. Pulling a 10-12,000lb trailer where I have to go not a chance it wouldn't make it 10 feet before it was stuck.

As for you diesel guys trying to prove the worth of a diesel keep fighting the V-10 is on par with any of them. How many diesels can you say have gone with regular maintenance NONE.

The V-10 is one of the most reliable engines Ford has built ya it had some spark plug popping problems. The V-10 is cheaper to fix cheaper to run.

Oh ya the 7.3 doesn't get the fuel mileage in the hills your lucky to get 14mpg out of one if your lucky. The 7.3 I had was lucky to get 12 mpg my current 6.0 getting about 12.5 mpg.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Ballswedge
Junior User
Originally Posted by mongo75
I have yet to see a gas engine used for an industrial generator application. Yeah they used 427's back in the 60's when diesels weren't real popular yet. And yeah, a stock V10 may be quicker than a stock PSD, but it still lacks in fuel economy, and you will never be able to spend equal amounts of money on both vehicles and be able to keep up with a diesel. That I bet my house on.
http://www.egens.com/FordGens.htm
See Model 85P: Ford WSG 1068

6.4L and V10 get nearly the same mileage.

6.4L costs $6k + more than a V10.

6.4L Costs 2-3 times more to service at the same intervals as the V10.

If you figure in the amount of money saved on the initial purchase, the money saved in servicing and then use an equal amount to mod the v10 as you do with modding the diesel, one could have a hell of a V10.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:58 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Kenworth
Lots of bickering over a diesel versus gas.
Sounds like it doesnt matter what you drive it is going to be worn out in short order. If the truck is shot at 250k then who cares about the motor!

Just because a diesel will run a long time doesnt mean it wont need some maintenance. I know of plenty of psd's getting put through the paces with proper maintenance that last well over 250k without major failure. I had a guy that worked for me with a V10 that got worked hard on his ranch. The motor was toast at 110k. Does that mean it is a junk motor? No he just worked it too hard. The 7.3 he replaced it with now has over 200k on it doing the same job. So who know!

Old 06-30-2009, 02:04 PM
HookedOnReefing
New User
I don't trust those magazine articles. Most are written by guys who haven't pulled anything bigger than a trash can. They think a 10k trailer is something huge. I have pulled trailers with friends that run V10's. It makes them mad when they get passed on every hill longer than a 1/2 mile.

You don't have to trust the magazine articles, but come on. It's just simple math. I'll say it again, a stock 7.3 PSD produces 250 HP & 505 lb-ft Torque. A stock V10 produces 362 HP & 457 lb-ft Torque.

With those numbers, there is NO WAY a 7.3 can out do the V10.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:05 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
I looked at that site- all those engines are NATURAL GAS powered, not gasoline powered. I do know that that enables them to run cleaner, and thus longer, but either way it's a moot point. I learned something new today! Again I got my diesel because I always wanted one, that was my main reason. But I'll stick to my guns as far as modding the 2 engines- I know on a V10, you can drop in a supercharger, higher flowing injector, intake, exhaust, and programmer, but that's about it. I had a 5.4 in my last truck and I know there is only so much you can do. On my 7.3, I have a stock turbo, bigger injectors, DP Tuner, intake/exhaust, and a funny thing called a zoodad mod. I went from 250hp/500tq at the flywheel to 320hp/704tq at the rear wheels. I think it may have cost around $2400 for those mods (some came w/truck when I bought it, but I factored in that amount). I would guess I raised my hp/tq levels by about 30% conservatively speaking. Now for that same $2400, I don't know how far that will get a V10 on mods, probably all you could use, but then your spent. If I wanted to spend a little more, even at the expense of breaking things here and there (you pay to play) I could easily get 400hp/800tq at the rear wheels, if not more. Yeah I could push my 7.3 to 500hp and 1000ftlb tq, but that's just out of my budget LOL. I like torque, and I love peoples expressions when I leave thier fancy cars at the light in my 8000 pound truck. But I'll get off my soapbox with this- as long as it's a Ford, your GOLD in my book!

Old 06-30-2009, 02:07 PM
mongo75
Postmaster

You don't have to trust the magazine articles, but come on. It's just simple math. I'll say it again, a stock 7.3 PSD produces 250 HP & 505 lb-ft Torque. A stock V10 produces 362 HP & 457 lb-ft Torque.

But how much of that power gets to the rear wheels??

Old 06-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Ballswedge
Junior User
Originally Posted by mongo75
But how much of that power gets to the rear wheels??
A whole lot more than a stock 7.3L.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:11 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru

That is because you have to look at more than just those numbers. The gearing makes a big difference. From what I have heard to get a V10 to pull good it needs 4.30 rear ends. The guys I know with V10 s all have 3.73's. The 3.73's work great on the 7.3, puts in a nice power range. If the V10 likes the higher rpms I would imagine it would like lower gearing. Maybe that is the difference. So before you go saying ya right and not believing my experiences you need to think it through. BTW my 7.3 is stock with 525 tq.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:28 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Ballswedge
A whole lot more than a stock 7.3L.
I'd like to put them on rollers next to eachother

I'm starting to feel like this thread is more of a way to increase my post count that a civil argument

Quick Reply: Gas vs PSD