Gas vs PSD - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Gas vs PSD

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #16  
Old 06-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Tom's Avatar
Tom Tom is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Braham, MN
Posts: 23,148
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 F.-.R.D. View Post
particulary the rollin coal into the car with the window down next to me
And this behavior is part of the reason my '08 Diesel option was $6895 and has a restrictive filter on the exhaust that robs my MPGs.....
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-27-2009, 07:57 PM
79 F.-.R.D.'s Avatar
79 F.-.R.D. 79 F.-.R.D. is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: wvc utah
Posts: 70
79 F.-.R.D. is starting off with a positive reputation.
hey mine came restricted and now its not, gettin 18-22 not the only mod but you can talk to ford about that the tech is there they can get alot better easily from the factory.
and before i got the truck it was a 70 torino gt burnin rubber into that guys car love that car, and if it wasnt smoke it was the 79 f-150 fling mud at him. did i mention that guy is usually my dad? come to think of it maybe thats why im always washing his car?lol
sry for the hijack
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-27-2009, 08:15 PM
ruschejj's Avatar
ruschejj ruschejj is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Greenwood, SC
Posts: 6,663
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
I'm a 6.4 guy and it sucks that I can't "roll the coal" but I can blow enough hot air out the pipe (1200 degrees at times) to get the looks.

Some of us use our trucks for work and tow a variety of trailers on a daily basis. I do it nearly every day (93,000 miles in 2 years). The diesel makes my life better. Everyone here knows why.

If you drive around 900 miles per week with trailers weighing between 8K and 15K you'll enjoy a diesel.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-27-2009, 08:23 PM
dkf's Avatar
dkf dkf is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pa
Posts: 10,083
dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruschejj View Post
If you drive around 900 miles per week with trailers weighing between 8K and 15K you'll enjoy a diesel.
Thoses are the people who actually have a reason to own one. The V10 can do the same it will just use more fuel and may go slower up the hills.

To the OP... Use the search function this topic has been beaten to death many times.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-27-2009, 08:26 PM
jdadamsjr's Avatar
jdadamsjr jdadamsjr is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 11,314
jdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputationjdadamsjr has a superb reputation
Need more Popcorn......

the insults have not really started rolling in yet....


I DO have the perfect answer to why ithe psd is better though....




because it's the one I wanted (in the 02, and the 03, and now the 05 )

and the v10 is the perfect one for YOU apparently.... so makes it a moot point..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-27-2009, 10:03 PM
7.3 Rocket's Avatar
7.3 Rocket 7.3 Rocket is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wallingford, CT
Posts: 7,649
7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy001 View Post
And this behavior is part of the reason my '08 Diesel option was $6895 and has a restrictive filter on the exhaust that robs my MPGs.....
No it's not. The EPA has been tightening down emissions requirements long before the diesel performance thing hit big-time. They were tightening down on emissions before the PSD even existed. Environmentalists are the reason your truck has a DPF. And if you don't like it. Take it off or get an older truck. The choice is yours.

I must be afraid of change because as it sits right now I'd never own a 6.4 PowerStroke. Too many computers and too many emissions control pieces of crap on it. Plus the idea of having to pull the cab to work on it doesn't thrill me either. Give me a good old 7.3 and I'm happy.

But that's not for everyone either. If we all liked the same thing then the world would be a very boring place.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Tom's Avatar
Tom Tom is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Braham, MN
Posts: 23,148
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket View Post
No it's not. The EPA has been tightening down emissions requirements long before the diesel performance thing hit big-time. They were tightening down on emissions before the PSD even existed. Environmentalists are the reason your truck has a DPF. And if you don't like it. Take it off or get an older truck. The choice is yours.
I'm very aware of who requires them and why they did it. I never argued that. All I was trying to say was that that intentionally blowing soot into someone's car is the kind of thing that gets people pissed off at diesel pickups...which is great for making someone support ANY legislation that would prevent this in the future...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-28-2009, 12:21 AM
7.3 Rocket's Avatar
7.3 Rocket 7.3 Rocket is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wallingford, CT
Posts: 7,649
7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future7.3 Rocket has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy001 View Post
I'm very aware of who requires them and why they did it. I never argued that. All I was trying to say was that that intentionally blowing soot into someone's car is the kind of thing that gets people pissed off at diesel pickups...which is great for making someone support ANY legislation that would prevent this in the future...
Yea. Definitely. It just sounded like you were saying it was the only reason before. No harm no foul.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-28-2009, 12:34 AM
bill11012's Avatar
bill11012 bill11012 is offline
Modular motor junkie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,190
bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket View Post
1: You NEVER have to change the spark plugs in a PSD.
2: PSDs don't eject parts like some V10s did previously.

And PSDs will get a load rolling faster than a gas engine will due to the larger torque numbers.
with the v10 you never have to change the glow plugs....
Mine has never had that problem with the plugs popping out.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-28-2009, 12:37 AM
bill11012's Avatar
bill11012 bill11012 is offline
Modular motor junkie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,190
bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.bill11012 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket View Post
No it's not. The EPA has been tightening down emissions requirements long before the diesel performance thing hit big-time. They were tightening down on emissions before the PSD even existed. Environmentalists are the reason your truck has a DPF. And if you don't like it. Take it off or get an older truck. The choice is yours.

I must be afraid of change because as it sits right now I'd never own a 6.4 PowerStroke. Too many computers and too many emissions control pieces of crap on it. Plus the idea of having to pull the cab to work on it doesn't thrill me either. Give me a good old 7.3 and I'm happy.

But that's not for everyone either. If we all liked the same thing then the world would be a very boring place.
Wait, what did you say about pulling the cab?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Pinky Demon's Avatar
Pinky Demon Pinky Demon is online now
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,344
Pinky Demon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Pinky Demon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
As someone who has been on both sides of the fence, I'll share my opinion.

I personally have a 2V V10, but my work has a four equipped with the 7.3L. I do medium duty towing, and snow plowing, along with daily driving.

If it came down to all towing all the time with good sized loads, I would definitely want the diesel. Just rev to 2,000, let the turbo spool and say goodbye. It's a beautiful thing. However, when the turbo is not spooled, I personally think the engine is a bit sluggish. The V10 can do the same thing, but you will have to rev it a bit higher, and it may not be as quick. It's really a tie for towing depending on what you do.

For plowing though, there is no debate. I will take my V10 over a diesel any day. Because my truck is large, I can not fit in my garage, so I have to park in our back barn. I would walk out in the dead of winter, 2:30 a.m., -10 degrees, and my baby would fire right up. There was only one incident where I had a little trouble, and that was because it was extremely cold. My "problem" meant I had to crank the ignition for an extra second.

For the diesels, we have to have them all hooked up to electric, and even so, starting can be rough. If they aren't hooked up forget it, which isn't even mentioning fuel gelling. Plus for peak efficiency, you have to wait for them to warm up, which also prolongs the arrival of cabin heat. My cab is warm by the time I hit the end of my street. Can't always say that for the other guys. Plus, another downside to the diesel is finding the fuel itself. In an emergency situation, I can always find gasoline. Diesel not so much.

During actual plowing I would still rather take the V10. I don't have to worry about the turbo lag, and I can precisely modulate torque to the ground as needed, so as to prevent slipping. When my Dad plowed once with my 250, he was constantly spinning the wheels from a takeoff because of the arrival of massive torque at very low RPMs. When he used a diesel truck, this was rarely ever a problem because they rely much more on the turbo. If you need a quick burst of power for some heavy snow, just blip the throttle to 2,000 on the V10, on the 7.3, rev and wait to spool.

All in all, I would take either engine. I think they both are excellent examples of American engineering and both have their perks. But, for what I do, in freezing Ohio winters, gimme that V10 anyday and I'll have fun. If I'm living down south and pulling a 5th wheel, gimme a 7.3. It all depends on what YOU are looking for, not which is "better".
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Pinky Demon's Avatar
Pinky Demon Pinky Demon is online now
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,344
Pinky Demon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Pinky Demon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket View Post

Plus the idea of having to pull the cab to work on it doesn't thrill me either. Give me a good old 7.3 and I'm happy.
That scared the crap out of me as well. At the auto show in Cleveland last March, I took a look under the hood of a 350 King Ranch Crew Cab DRW 6.4. It was so damned snug in there I wondered how the hell anyone could work on it. When I asked a sales rep, he gave me the mandatory snobby, "Take it to a dealership."

BUT I DON'T WANT TO TAKE IT TO A MFing DEALERSHIP!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Tom's Avatar
Tom Tom is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Braham, MN
Posts: 23,148
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Bill, what everyone here is referring to is how difficult it is to work on the engine with the cab in place. Ford service procedures require pulling the cab to replace the turbos, the high pressure fuel pump, and many other things.

Contrary to popular belief, there is a specified procedure for all of these, even removing the engine without removing the cab. It looks much more difficult, and this is what you see at the beginning of it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008 Repair Manual
NOTE: It is recommended that this component be serviced with the vehicle body removed. If the body can be removed, refer to the "Body Off" version of the procedure.
Needless to say working on the 6.4s is not an easy thing...which is why I like my 100K engine warranty!!!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-28-2009, 09:18 AM
m350 m350 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Eastern CT.
Posts: 2,181
m350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I also have been on both sides of the fence,,,I presently have a 06' F-350 six-O,,it has been a great truck,,all stock except exhaust,,,,My previous truck was a 04' F350 V-10, 6-speed,DRW with 4:30s,,,this truck ran great,,and pulled great also,,they just pull a little bit different,,,,I now have 4 different trailers that I pull,,,not all the time,,just when I need them,,,,,If I were to get a new truck,,again,,,It will be a V-10,,or maybe the 6.2 if availible,,,The diesels are just so technical now,, hard to work on,,,poor mileage without modding,,,etc.

I also plow with my trucks,,,there is some turbo lag for sure,,and now and then on my 6.0 there was what I will call an electrical draw,,,for a second or so,,,that when timed right there is a dead pedal and or trans slips in reverse making the truck shudder like it is spinning,,,But it did not spin !!

Other's 6.0 owners, on here have mentioned the same problem !

The gas engines have come along way in mpg and pretty big power too,,, where the diesels have big power,,,but mileage seems to suffer,,,,sure mileage can be improve,,,if your of mind to get a tuner,,,and risk warranty issues,,,but so far my 6.0 is all stock,,,and only marginally 1-2 better mpg then my V-10 was ! That extra $ 6k in price buys alot of Gas !!

Stock for stock,,a new F-350 6.4 with w/3:73, against a new F-350, V-10, w/4:30's would be a Good Match for whatever kind or race you wanna through at them !
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Tom's Avatar
Tom Tom is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Braham, MN
Posts: 23,148
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
You got me thinking about MPGs, too.

I don't drive my new -250 much at the moment, but with 1,300 on the odometer I've seen two tanks over 15 MPGs. Obviously this includes quite a bit of highway cruising, but even so I've been led to believe this is more than a V10 would get.

What do you V10 guys see for MPGs?
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V-10's and towing Tundy Modular V10 (6.8l) 98 02-01-2018 12:44 AM
V10 manual 5spd is very whimpy - suggestions dwysywd 1999 to 2016 Super Duty 10 01-20-2018 05:35 AM
Stock Transmission Cooler comparison? V10 vs 7.3 PSD Pele Excursion - King of SUVs 11 05-27-2017 03:46 PM
New from Havasu rwhawk New Member Introductions 1 01-16-2017 01:07 PM
95 psd vs 05 v10 jeffsk7 Modular V10 (6.8l) 8 03-26-2016 10:59 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
184k, 2004, 73, chum, diesel, engine, excursion, f350, ford, mileage, miles, motor, psd, triton, v10

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.