1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas vs PSD

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:42 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always think I'm not going to reply to these threads and then about 3 or 4 pages in I give in to temptation.

My personal preference....

If I were to buy a new truck: I would most certainly buy a V10. The new diesels cost too much, have lost much of the fuel economy advantage, and are laden with potentially unreliable emission systems.

If I were to buy a used truck: Used diesel trucks are affordable. I would skip right over the 6.0L and go back to a 7.3L for the proven reliability. It's not a hot rod but it does tow very well and gets good mileage. I would consider a V10 in exchange for a good deal on a low mileage truck as long as I didn't plan to drive it a lot.

What I have: I'm not wasting my money on a new truck! My goal was to get an extremely reliable truck for as little money as possible. I ended up with a low mileage 2WD 7.3L 6-speed manual. I have a Jeep if I want to go off road. Which I never do. And most of you don't either.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:00 AM
HookedOnReefing
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The PickupTruck Heavy Duty Shootout makes for some VERY interesting reading guy's. I personally had no idea.

Quarter-mile Drag V10 vs 6.4 PSD:
"
Pay special attention to how close the engine performance is in the Ford trucks. Both use the same 5-speed transmission with the same gear ratios. The larger displacement 6.8L Ford V10 can be a real power option versus a diesel if the final drive ratio is low enough. This should keep the gas versus diesel debate alive (a $6,295 premium for the Power Stroke oil burner versus the Triton V10 gasser), especially if you're not going to keep a truck long enough to pay off the higher diesel engine option."

7% Grade with 10,500 lbs trailer v10 vs 6.4 PSD:
"
the 6.8-liter V10 gas engine was faster moving up the grade than the 6.4-liter V8 diesel."

15% Grade with 10,500 lbs trailer v10 vs 6.4 PSD:
"
look at how well the V10 was running at the 250-meter finish line versus the V8 Power Stroke. Again the gasser was traveling faster than the compression ignition motor."

Off-course this is bone stock. The PSD can be tuned much easier compared to the V10 to generate more torque & HP.

I just had to laugh about some of the 7.3 PSD guy's claiming that they can out do the V10 The V10 can hang with the 6.4 PSD. The old 7.3 can not hang with the 6.4. So what makes you think it can out do the V10? The numbers just aren't there guy's

The 7.3 PSD is rated at 505 ft-lbs and 250 HP with an auto tranny. The V10 is rated at 457 ft-lbs and 362 hp!!! So torque is pretty much equal, only 48 ft-lbs difference, but there is a MASSIVE 112 HP difference!!!

So what exactly again makes you think a stock 7.3 PSD can out do a stock V10

Old 06-30-2009, 01:30 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Has any one mentioned yet that ford is not making a V10 gas any more? That right there tells you something.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:18 AM
racinghoss
Senior User
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
Has any one mentioned yet that ford is not making a V10 gas any more? That right there tells you something.
Really? I just built a truck online that had it.

They are also not making the 7.3, or the 6.0, and are also about to dump the 6.4. Hmmmm...

Old 06-30-2009, 05:12 AM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by racinghoss

They are also not making the 7.3, or the 6.0, and are also about to dump the 6.4. Hmmmm...
My thoughts exactly. Some people need to think before they speak.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:49 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Easy guys, there just trucks nothing to do with your manly hood. Can't we just get along?

Old 06-30-2009, 07:02 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by racinghoss

Thats what the dude at the dealership told me so don't jump down my throat.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:45 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
Its rumored that Ford is dropping the V10 in the F-250 and F-350 for the 2011 model year just like the they are axing the 6.4l. The V10 supposibly will still be available in the E series, F-450/F-550 chassis cabs and the large motorhome chassis. I'm not shure if the V10 will still be available for the industrial generator market.

Just because it is rumored that Ford is discontinuing the V10 it doesn't tell you anything. The V10 has been in Fords lineup for well over 10 years and will still remain in the line-up in certain applications. The V10 will be available for more years than the 7.3l was.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have yet to see a gas engine used for an industrial generator application. Yeah they used 427's back in the 60's when diesels weren't real popular yet. And yeah, a stock V10 may be quicker than a stock PSD, but it still lacks in fuel economy, and you will never be able to spend equal amounts of money on both vehicles and be able to keep up with a diesel. That I bet my house on.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:22 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinky Demon
For plowing though, there is no debate. I will take my V10 over a diesel any day. Because my truck is large, I can not fit in my garage, so I have to park in our back barn. I would walk out in the dead of winter, 2:30 a.m., -10 degrees, and my baby would fire right up. There was only one incident where I had a little trouble, and that was because it was extremely cold. My "problem" meant I had to crank the ignition for an extra second.

For the diesels, we have to have them all hooked up to electric, and even so, starting can be rough. If they aren't hooked up forget it, which isn't even mentioning fuel gelling. Plus for peak efficiency, you have to wait for them to warm up, which also prolongs the arrival of cabin heat. My cab is warm by the time I hit the end of my street. Can't always say that for the other guys. Plus, another downside to the diesel is finding the fuel itself. In an emergency situation, I can always find gasoline. Diesel not so much.
I started my truck in -20°F weather last winter without being plugged in. Fuel never gelled either, not once all winter long. All it takes is a few extra cycles of the glow plugs to get the engine to start.
As for warming up- my diesel warms up just as fast as my old 95 F250 460 powered gasser did.
I live out in the sticks and every station I can think of carries diesel. Maybe if you live in a city its harder to find, but a moot point out here. And as Mongo said, in a pinch you can run on a variety of other "fuels" temporarily.

Originally Posted by Ballswedge
1. You ALWAYS have to change filters every 10-15k that cost more than all 10 of my plugs combined that I have to change every 100k.

2. Yes, lets talk about the "ejecting" of parts. Or even the "blowing" or "leaking" or how about even the "complete catastrophic failure" of some parts....(that last one should be a Registered Trademark of the Ford Motor Company when used in reference to the "powerstroke diesel") Don't go there, you diesel guys have much more to keep up on than us gassers do, such as EGR coolers, head gaskets and variable vane turbo failures. Two of those little examples cost more to repair on your diesels than the replacement of a complete 2v v10 engine.
As for #1, you gas engine owners are supposed to do that too. And if you don't have a 6.0 or 7.3, you can get a fuel filter for about the same price as a case of beer. Or better yet, get rid of the stock fuel bowl and install a different post pump filter and get them even cheaper yet at any good auto parts store.
As for #2, show me a 7.3L with any of those failures in stock form. Head gaskets might let go rarely on a stock 7.3L, but we don't have all that other crap. Don't be lumping all the PSD's into one ball, the 7.3L is a whole different animal than the newer gen stuff and can go many many miles, stock or mildly modded, trouble free. My truck has 184K miles on stock turbo, injectors, and everything else except the fuel filter. Another member in the 7.3L forum has nearly 300k on a stock truck. Those are just examples off the top of my head, there are many more. Change the oil and filter regularly and you'll get many trouble free miles out of a PSD.

After owning my diesel for just over a year I can say that unless big changes are made I'll never own another gas truck again. Stock for stock my diesel tows so good and pulls so hard that I'll stick with diesel just for that fact alone. Last summer while pulling a 28' bumper pull travel trailer through WA state (only mods to my truck at the time were an intake and exhaust) I was able to pass 2 cars pulling a 6-7% grade (yes, going UP the hill) on Blewett Pass. I know for damn sure my old gasser wouldn't have done it, and I have a hard time believing a V10 could do it. Now that I have a DP Tuner, I can pull grades with heavy loads at 55-60 mph like I'm running on flat ground empty... not redlining the motor just to make it happen.
I'm glad all you V10 guys think your trucks are great. I think mine is great too. As long as it has a blue oval on the front it's OK in my book!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:51 AM
dkf
Hotshot
[quote=mongo75;7663361]I have yet to see a gas engine used for an industrial generator application. Yeah they used 427's back in the 60's when diesels weren't real popular yet.quote]

They are out there whether you've seen them or not.
http://www.egens.com/FordGens.htm

Most run on nat gas or propane but they are basic gas long blocks converted to run different fuels. Where I used to work they have a nat gas Ford 302ci generator. Nat gas is already there to run the boiler and the gas engine requires minimal maintenence.

Another member in the 7.3L forum has nearly 300k on a stock truck.
A guy or two stops in the V10 forum with over 300k miles on there V10. The modulars can see some high mileage. Nice thing is you can get a Ford reman 2V V10 with warrenty for under $4k.

I change the fuel filter on my V10 every 10k miles and it costs $11. Just for a comparison.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:18 AM
HookedOnReefing
New User
Superduty4x4, I agree with you that the 7.3 PSD is a totally different animal as compared to the 6.0 & 6.4 PSD. It's trully a tried and true BULLET PROOF engine and FORD should have kept it and improved on it to bring it into the new emissions era.

Stock for stock my diesel tows so good and pulls so hard that I'll stick with diesel just for that fact alone. Last summer while pulling a 28' bumper pull travel trailer through WA state (only mods to my truck at the time were an intake and exhaust) I was able to pass 2 cars pulling a 6-7% grade (yes, going UP the hill) on Blewett Pass.
I do not agree with your statement quoted above. While your 460 gasser might not have been able to hang with your 7.3 up the pass, stock for stock, the V10 can easily out do your 7.3 up the climbs. See my earlier post above pulling a 10,500# trailer on 7% & 15% climbs which was quoted from the "Heavy Duty Shootout".

The PSD's are also much more expensive to maintain. The fixed maintenance cost are much higher compared to the V10. Just compare the basic cost of having to do the oil/filter changes! Repairs cost much more as well.

Owning a new diesel only makes sense if you plan to drive it until the wheels fall off. Because if we look at the big picture, the difference in MPG, 3-4mpg's, is hardly there. You would have to drive a LOT of miles to break even with the $6,300 price difference at today's fuel prices and when you then factor in the higher fixed preventative maintenance cost, I doubt you can make it up. I'd like to see somebodies calculations.

I think the story only changes if you purchase a PSD used with a few years on it and get a good deal on it. IF the purchase price difference between the PSD and V10 changes, only then the PSD would win hands down.

The V10 has a rareness factor, they're definitely not dime-a-dozen. BUT, all diesels for that matter, have, imo, a coolness factor that the V10 just doesn't have

Old 06-30-2009, 10:43 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dkf
A guy or two stops in the V10 forum with over 300k miles on there V10. The modulars can see some high mileage. Nice thing is you can get a Ford reman 2V V10 with warrenty for under $4k.

I change the fuel filter on my V10 every 10k miles and it costs $11. Just for a comparison.
dkf, any idea what the highest reported mileage on a V10 motor is? Just curious, not trying to start a whizzing contest
I think I paid around $17 for my fuel filters and they get changed every 15k miles... pretty close in cost there.

Originally Posted by HookedOnReefing
Superduty4x4, I agree with you that the 7.3 PSD is a totally different animal as compared to the 6.0 & 6.4 PSD. It's trully a tried and true BULLET PROOF engine and FORD should have kept it and improved on it to bring it into the new emissions era.

I do not agree with your statement quoted above. While your 460 gasser might not have been able to hang with your 7.3 up the pass, stock for stock, the V10 can easily out do your 7.3 up the climbs. See my earlier post above pulling a 10,500# trailer on 7% & 15% climbs which was quoted from the "Heavy Duty Shootout".

The PSD's are also much more expensive to maintain. The fixed maintenance cost are much higher compared to the V10. Just compare the basic cost of having to do the oil/filter changes! Repairs cost much more as well.

Owning a new diesel only makes sense if you plan to drive it until the wheels fall off. Because if we look at the big picture, the difference in MPG, 3-4mpg's, is hardly there. You would have to drive a LOT of miles to break even with the $6,300 price difference at today's fuel prices and when you then factor in the higher fixed preventative maintenance cost, I doubt you can make it up. I'd like to see somebodies calculations.

I think the story only changes if you purchase a PSD used with a few years on it and get a good deal on it. IF the purchase price difference between the PSD and V10 changes, only then the PSD would win hands down.

The V10 has a rareness factor, they're definitely not dime-a-dozen. BUT, all diesels for that matter, have, imo, a coolness factor that the V10 just doesn't have
I don't like those shootouts, I don't really know why I just don't. I think that most of them tend to be biased, whether the mag would admit it or not. I would like to take a truck similar to mine but with the V10 (all things equal- tire size, gearing, chassis config, etc). and pull the same trailer up a grade with each truck to see what the ups/downs of either are. I don't care who gets to the top the fastest, I want to know which truck can hold its own the best. Any V10 owners in eastern WA want to take me up on that?

You may have a point on the maintenance costs though. With regular maintenance a 7.3L doesn't cost too much to drive, but there are a few things that when you need to repair or replace, you better hold on (injectors). A motor that is fed clean air, clean fuel and has clean oil in it can go for many miles without needing injector, turbo, or other big ticket work done, keeping the maintenance cost down.
As for breaking even on fuel price... I can fuel my diesel for about 50 cents a gallon less than my wife's Exploder right now, and the mpg between both rigs is comparable. That makes my PSD cheaper to drive than the Exploder!

One thing I think that diesels have over gassers (maybe this is changing now, I haven't been following gassers too closely lately) is that high mileage on a diesel pickup doesn't scare people like high mileage on a gasser. Many consider 100-150k just broken in for a diesel and don't bat an eye at that kind of mileage. Do people still get twitterpated as a gasser gets between that 150-200k mark?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:33 AM
dkf
Hotshot
dkf, any idea what the highest reported mileage on a V10 motor is? Just curious, not trying to start a whizzing contest
I think I paid around $17 for my fuel filters and they get changed every 15k miles... pretty close in cost there.
Lots of variables mpgwise for the V10. Vehicle configuration, driving style, terrain, load , 3V vs 2V and etc. Highest I heard of was almost 18mpg with a 2V but that was empty and I think the guy lived out on flat land somewhere. Best I got with mine was 15mpg unloaded.

I'm shure my fuel filters would last longer than 10k miles. Its just easy for me to remember to change them every 10k miles. Plus you just don't know how much crud you can pick up in the fuel.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:00 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by dkf
Lots of variables mpgwise for the V10. Vehicle configuration, driving style, terrain, load , 3V vs 2V and etc. Highest I heard of was almost 18mpg with a 2V but that was empty and I think the guy lived out on flat land somewhere. Best I got with mine was 15mpg unloaded.

I'm shure my fuel filters would last longer than 10k miles. Its just easy for me to remember to change them every 10k miles. Plus you just don't know how much crud you can pick up in the fuel.
I should have clarified, not mpg, total mileage. As in, how many mile on the truck before the motor gives up?

Quick Reply: Gas vs PSD