1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Darksider Head count

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:33 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Everything but my F1 is darkside.....does that count?

Old 12-22-2008, 11:51 PM
keith56_cruz_cab
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not sure If I am or not

Old 12-23-2008, 06:01 AM
1949f1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 373 Likes on 160 Posts
i am a darksider too. the plan is to look stock with a 302 engine,automatic transmission,power steering,power disc brakes. unless i can afford more. tracy

Old 12-23-2008, 06:22 AM
chloichina
Senior User
Im a Darksider but only on the Dark blue part of the spectrim with only the little boys boytie on my front brakes. It is hard to admit it but it is true I feel better now not lying to anyone anymore.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:10 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Darksider here too.

My first 56 was darkside also. 292 with a Poncho diff and a mustang trans and shifter installed with a backwards shift pattern. Park was near the seat and low was at the firewall.

My current 56 had the 289 in it when I bought it. The steering had been modified by someone along the way to make room for headers and so it got some wicked bumpsteer. Someone also removed a few leafs from the rear to make it ride smoother which only served to let it wallow in turns. I plan to fix the steering as well as already having installed a 4 bar and air suspension on the rear.

Trying to keep it as much Ford as possible.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:56 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Color me Dark.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:02 AM
ssj7kids
Elder User
I've seen the LIGHT....
My truck was 'complete' when I bought it so I've wanted to stay stock. Not a purist. Will go with radial tires, and am hopping up the engine. But where ever possible, am staying stock.
Much to the chagrin to some of my good buddies here.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:15 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
i`m definately a dark sider, but trying to keep the truck all ford parts, the only thing i`m using that is a different brand is the seat!

Old 12-23-2008, 09:53 AM
kripfink
Junior User
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
Definitely dark on my side of the road. I like it that way.

While I can truly appreciate the timelessness of the stock truck, I always wanted a hot rod. I could have rodded anything, but, IMHO, the 56 F100 is to trucks what the deuce is to roadsters.

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm just being the bad boy I always wanted to be. If I had enough hair to grease and comb straight back, I would. But rolling up a cigarette pack in the sleeve of my T-shirt will just have to do.
I'll go along with that,and I also contend that the mid fifty F100 is to trucks what the '49 Merc is to Kustoms.I too am a greasy hood at heart.(and in person for that matter)

Paul

Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Darksider

Darksiders are only limited by their imagination. I've been true since "62". Only once, a 63 Corvette split window, did I fall off the wagon. Went to rehab. and have been making dreams come true ever since.

MORE COOKIES.........

46 Ford Tudor - Street Rod
48 Ford F1 - Custom

Old 12-23-2008, 11:10 AM
fatfords
Elder User
Originally Posted by keith56_cruz_cab
Im not sure If I am or not
Keith,
I can't even find you with a search light! The only time we can see you is when you fire up the plasma cutter or welder! Can you french in some reflectors or something? Or maybe some LED marker lights...

I think once the oil bath is traded for paper, you're somewhere in the shade (you too, Brian!). My first '53 was shady when I got it and I haven't been drawn to the light since.

I have tremendous respect for those guys that can rebuild 'em the way Henry did, but when ever I finally get around to finishing this thing, I intend to drive it as if I stole it! Manual steering, manual (single cylinder) brakes and a single tail light would be difficult in rush hour trafffic in the DFW area.

Welcome and share all of your dark secrets with us!
Good Luck!

Old 12-23-2008, 11:26 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Having a modified truck ( 1ST-RIDE ) and a stock truck under const. I can swing to either side when needed .

Old 12-23-2008, 11:30 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely a darksider here and have been for more years than I care to admit but I do like the stock look. No chopped tops, suicide doors, modern beds, etc., for me. I like to improve the dependability of the drivetrain, handling, and power without disturbing the original look so it doesn't matter what engine is in it, what brakes it has, steering column, etc. To those to want to do more than that I tip my hat to you but it's not for me...

Old 12-23-2008, 11:55 AM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Darkside is strong here young Skywalker :-)
I like the stock look but there have been many mechanical/electrical improvements in the last 55 years since my truck was built..... so I am picking the ones I like and adding them s l o w l y LOL

Old 12-23-2008, 12:01 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
3golf...

to answer your first question (and one to the darksider count) here's a link to ehva' so much more than you wanted to know about darkside... including the definition and derivatives of the term, the literal and existential meaning of the cookies and a lot of other b.s. added by some folks that forgot to take their meds that day. References to Fatfenders, poetic insertions and any comments by Penn Dick are to be ignored.

I don't think an accurate count is possible as the line moves around a lot... it's like counting cattle during a stampede.

after reading that thread... all your questions will be answered or you'll self-admit at a local rehab place and start a program

later & Merry Christmas
John

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...darksider.html

Quick Reply: Darksider Head count