1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Darksider Head count

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:48 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
lol...One word: cootie-bobbing.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:59 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by havi
lol...One word: cootie-bobbing.
Darksiders don't do that. You were thinking of those un-scrupulous modifiers. As a matter of fact, my Darkside is saving two old effies that were the victims of those people. Otherwise they would have gone to the crusher. Oh well, such is the curse of the Darksider, we are shown little praise for the good things we actually do.

Later Man...

Old 12-24-2008, 10:36 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
add one more to the darkside, I love cookies and metal mods

Old 12-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmm well perhaps some clarification is necessary

I guess by definition I am a DARKSIDER as well. But after reading all the posts, there are levels of Darksider - like a spectrum. It's almost as though there are "Dusksiders" and, from the back side of the moon "Darksiders." There's "Off-the-shelf" Darksiders, and "Closet Darksiders" etc.

So my question is (Darksider Dave - tee hee) if some one just rewires and doesn't use a stock harness, or simply converts to 12 volt, is he as much of a Darksider as the chop top, rat rod, hemi engined, dropped, cookie eatin' frostie drinkin' Great American?

How Dark am I?

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Julie

Old 12-24-2008, 11:17 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Dark, grey, dark-grey, light-grey, light, restomod, concourse restoration, rat-rod, street rod, hot rod, yard-art up on blocks, etc...
take yer pick.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:11 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1

I guess by definition I am a DARKSIDER as well. But after reading all the posts, there are levels of Darksider - like a spectrum. It's almost as though there are "Dusksiders" and, from the back side of the moon "Darksiders." There's "Off-the-shelf" Darksiders, and "Closet Darksiders" etc.

So my question is (Darksider Dave - tee hee) if some one just rewires and doesn't use a stock harness, or simply converts to 12 volt, is he as much of a Darksider as the chop top, rat rod, hemi engined, dropped, cookie eatin' frostie drinkin' Great American?

How Dark am I?

Julie
Julie...

if it ain't like Henry made it.... you are some shade other than pure restoration white...... but so what ??? gray is a nice color too !! although there might be another classification you didn't mention... darksider wannabe..

ho ho ho... Santa due in 12 hours

later
John

Old 12-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
I have to agree, simply modding the steering, converting from 6V to 12V, adding a "Ford" 9" and adding a disc break conversion kit or any thing else that retains the stock drive train (engine, trans, frame, suspension, etc) while improving reliability, drive-ability and safety, does not necessarily make you a Darksider.....nor does putting dual exhaust on your Flathead.

On the other hand,

Someone who is doing major body mods, suspension mods (4 links, air ride), frame swaps (cross brand or not), using drive train other than the stock Ford components (power and reliability in a Ford vs. Ford in a Ford.....had to get a dig in at the purists to even out the score a little) and last but not least using their creativity and skills to make a functioning work of art (including tilt full front ends, power windows, chop tops, chroming things that weren't originally chromed, dash mods, etc, deserves a cookie because you are an artist in your own right.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL (Dark or Pure) and Best wishes to you and yours for 2009!!

Old 12-24-2008, 01:14 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1

How Dark am I?

Julie
Come now Julie, fess up. You have done way more than the wiring harness. Or are gonna blame that one on Dad??? That boosted 390 is pretty dark on the shade spectrum. However, I'm not into judging the shades of the spectrum as it seems to be a highly opinion driven process.

Personally I think everyone is taking a monochromatic view of this whole thing with the shades of gray. I think it is more like all the shades of all the colors in the visual spectrum and then some. I prefer to think as myself as being dark Ultra-violet. I think that roughly translates to being way out there.

As for you place in the order of shades and such, I'd guess you're someplace between hot pink and dark purple with frequent fluctuations. But hey, that's just the way I see it and that doesn't really count for much in the cosmic scheme of things does it? What the heck, there's room for everyone I think.

Later Girl...

Old 12-24-2008, 01:50 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Restorer - Pure as the driven snow.
Darksider - Pure as the driven slush.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:55 PM
RedZombie
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a Darksider, but so far only mechanically. I've 'upgraded' brakes, electrical, soundsystems, engines and so forth on many vehicles. I have never done body style or line changes on any vehicle. I own Chevys, Fords (Mercs), Dodge and MG products, and use what I feel is the best part for the job, it doesn't matter if my vehicles are then considered half-breeds. They are mine and only I have to love them.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:04 PM
fatfords
Elder User
[quote=abe;6921732]Oh no! I knew about the darkside, but never thought it captured so many. I will never give in to the darkside! This headcount makes me even more determined to stay stock!! Someone must preserve history!quote]

Abe,
In the spirit of the discussion (and the season), I seem to remember that one of your mirrors is actually from a 1956 F-100, so it is not "technically" original for a 1954 F-100. And since you've now started down the slippery slope, I'll remind you that we have cookies, Christmas cookies as a matter of fact! Come on over, there's always room for another Darksider. You'll have to work on your tan a little but I can see great possibilities!

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2008, 02:05 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by RedZombie
I'm a Darksider, but so far only mechanically. I've 'upgraded' brakes, electrical, soundsystems, engines and so forth on many vehicles. I have never done body style or line changes on any vehicle. I own Chevys, Fords (Mercs), Dodge and MG products, and use what I feel is the best part for the job, it doesn't matter if my vehicles are then considered half-breeds. They are mine and only I have to love them.

AMEN Red!!!!!!!!!!!! I love to see them in whatever state of "restoration", and if its yours and you like it, thats ALL that matters!! Cant we all get along?

Old 12-24-2008, 03:41 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Abe,
In the spirit of the discussion (and the season), I seem to remember that one of your mirrors is actually from a 1956 F-100, so it is not "technically" original for a 1954 F-100. And since you've now started down the slippery slope, I'll remind you that we have cookies, Christmas cookies as a matter of fact! Come on over, there's always room for another Darksider. You'll have to work on your tan a little but I can see great possibilities!

Merry Christmas!
Not to mention the self admitted 1971 transmission. There's little Darkside in everyone. lol.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:42 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Darksider head count ???

OK folks, let's review. The title of the thread is Darksider Head Count. One would think that was an attempt to see how many Darksiders there were here. However, it seems the purists here have decided it is a platform to profess their purity and objections to the Darkside. So, what's the point? It seems to be painfully obvious that true Darksiders don't care by virtue of our dastardly deeds. After all, being adicted to things like good brakes, better handling, AC,PB, PS, PW, safer and more comfortable seating is un-forgivable.

BTW, has anybody been counting???

OK, back to dragging another '53 into the 21st. Century...

Later Folks...

Old 12-24-2008, 05:29 PM
COM49F1
Junior User
Okay one more for the darkside jag front and rear suspension and I have just begun, but i do require alot of frosties and cookies for inspiration!!!!

Quick Reply: Darksider Head count