General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

The OT

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Powerstrokedlariat
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by preppypyro
Brent I have the same damn problem. As stubborn, hard headed, quick to get worked up, pr1ckish that I am, I am ALWAYS trying to help someone else out. Most of the times it comes back to bite me in the @ss and i keep doing it!!

I guess i should add stupid to the above list about me haha.

Ah well, least i feel good for abit while trying to help out
Jeez, you nailed that one. Stupid is right. Every time I think it will be different, and it rarely is. I drove over 1000 miles for a job for a friend once, down to Southern Oregon, got gas money out of it... I can be quite trusting and for that, end up feeling like a jack*** a lot.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:14 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by liftedgrocerygetter
Polo....

haha

I knew someone wouldnt be able to resist......

Old 11-04-2008, 03:15 PM
liftedgrocerygetter
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Never do. I've only had to deal with that scenario once, and that was way back in the beginning when I first bought the business and it was a job left over from the previous owner. There have been plenty of times that the owner of the car has had body language that tells me I had better ask if they have the money to do the job. Usually it is a few seconds of hesitation before they say: "Yes, fix it." At that point in time, I simply ask them if they want to consider thier decision a little longer. They always take the "out" from having to approve the job. I REALLY don't want to pressure anyone to spend money on thier vehicle that they aren't 100% committed to doing so.
Every time they have been honest about it and say they don't have the funds right now. It's a win-win for both of us, because they simply take the car back home to save up for it, or trade it in on something else.
Sure, I don't get to do THAT job, but I simply turn to the next one in line and go to work.
Sometimes it is the only big job of the day, but I go home at night and sleep well.
It is very rare to find an honest business man out there today, good for you Dan!!

Originally Posted by Izzy351
You're a stand-up guy and a great American, Dan!!
Couldn't have said it better myself Joe!!

Its even worse trying to get a payment out of someone when they are A "FRIEND"
Ive done a few custom excavating jobs for friends, and they seem to think they they dont have to pay at all!
Good to know my time, skill, equipment, and fuel is worth something to me still lol.
Gotta love when friends/family take you for granted. Happens to me also but nothing to the extent of you guys, mine is just doing hair.

Originally Posted by Powerstrokedlariat
Been there, wait, still there, in the middle of it. Happens a lot for some reason. To nice I guess.
From what I know of you and everyone else on here, being to nice would be alot of our problems. We like to think the best of everyone and help out when and where we can.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
That sucks eh, 40 year "friendship" down the tubes for one week of work, all because they didnt wanna pay ya for your work.
Try almost 2 months, for 500 bucks. 20x40 deck, done with Cypress (which is garbage) had to put the joisting on 12" centers because the Cypress was just 3/4" without much strength, including fancy hand rails and a 30' long handicapped ramp with a turn in it. It only took that long because I did it completely by myself and only worked on it a few hours a day. But I had no idea she had so little money in mind to give me. She figured parking my motor home there was worth a small fortune. I do not argue, but I do hold a grudge for a long time.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Powerstrokedlariat
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Markadeck
Try almost 2 months, for 500 bucks. 20x40 deck, done with Cypress (which is garbage) had to put the joisting on 12" centers because the Cypress was just 3/4" without much strength, including fancy hand rails and a 30' long handicapped ramp with a turn in it. It only took that long because I did it completely by myself and only worked on it a few hours a day. But I had no idea she had so little money in mind to give me. She figured parking my motor home there was worth a small fortune. I do not argue, but I do hold a grudge for a long time.
Mark, sometimes I think you are just the older version of me.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Powerstrokedlariat
Postmaster
Originally Posted by liftedgrocerygetter
It is very rare to find an honest business man out there today, good for you Dan!!

Couldn't have said it better myself Joe!!

Gotta love when friends/family take you for granted. Happens to me also but nothing to the extent of you guys, mine is just doing hair.

From what I know of you and everyone else on here, being to nice would be alot of our problems. We like to think the best of everyone and help out when and where we can.

Cris, it may seem smaller, but to me, taking advantage is taking advantage. Could be $5 bucks, could be $500, principal is the same...
Oh and Mark, I too can hold (and am) a grudge for years...

Old 11-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Smokin'
Smokin

Ive done a few custom excavating jobs for friends, and they seem to think they they dont have to pay at all!

Good to know my time, skill, equipment, and fuel is worth something to me still lol.
Happens to us all. What makes it worse is when people see no real value in what you do, but require your services.

I've had people approach me on making flyers, or designing a logo or whatnot, and expect it to be free..this is something I spent plenty of money on, whether it be through education and computer programs, and is usually hours worth of work.

I've had people ask for design work, and accept the finish product, and just walk away. hellooo

Just because I am not a plumber, or electrician, or mechanic, does not mean I don't deserve compensation for what I do, like its some sort of hobby.

Rant over.

I'm not talking about those of you who I have discussed doing some work for, just so ya know.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
I've given plenty of work away before.
It just needs to be discussed before you start working.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:33 PM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I've given plenty of work away before.
It just needs to be discussed before you start working.
Dan, you hit the nail on the head. (I thought that was appropriate for the construction crowd) haha

Old 11-04-2008, 03:34 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver

It sucks when your friends just seem to expect it from you. I guess that's what you get when you've got certain skills, like building things, working on vehicles, graphic design, etc...

If a friend who's good at something offers to help, I'll gladly take them up on it, but in no way would I ever go to them and ask for free help.

My buddy Jeff is about the only one I'll do work for and never ask for a thing though, mainly because it goes both ways with us. I'm skilled with the wrench work on his vehicles, and he's skilled with the homebuilding stuff. We pretty much end up trading labor over the years. I've helped him a lot with his truck (as I'm doing now...wouldn't even want to know what the dealer would charge for what's being done...I'm sure it would be in the thousands of dollars), and he's helped me a ton around the house with laying tile, painting, building a storage shed, and helping to lay out and pour my back patio & driveway extension. We never ask for anything because we know we'll eventually on the other side of the help fence.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:35 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I agree Dan, sometimes I wouldnt mind helping someone out for no, or very little cost, but it seems like there is no communication of that.

I charge 130 bucks an hour (add 80 onto that if running my dump truck) and if someone, friend family or whatever wants a good deal, hell ask me, say something, offer to trade something, work, a nice meal out (sometimes, someone taking ya out for a meal and drinks is worth more then ya think)

I made it into a habit to always ask someone what they want for their help/work/time. If all else fails and they say they want nothing, then I buy em beer!

Old 11-04-2008, 03:37 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jtharvey
It sucks when your friends just seem to expect it from you. I guess that's what you get when you're good at skilled labor, like building things, working on vehicles, graphic design, etc...

If a friend who's good at something offers to help, I'll gladly take them up on it, but in no way would I ever go to them and ask for free help.

My buddy Jeff is about the only one I'll do work for and never ask for a thing though, mainly because it goes both ways with us. I'm skilled with the wrench work on his vehicles, and he's skilled with the homebuilding stuff. We pretty much end up trading labor over the years. I've helped him a lot with his truck (as I'm doing now...wouldn't even want to know what the dealer would charge for what's being done...I'm sure it would be in the thousands of dollars), and he's helped me a ton around the house with laying tile, painting, building a storage shed, and helping to lay out and pour my back patio & driveway extension. We never ask for anything because we know we'll eventually on the other side of the help fence.
Thats a perfect example, that is exactly what Im talking about, when it works both ways like that, its even better.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Powerstrokedlariat
Postmaster
My problem is a lot of the time it is discussed, even in a contract, and it's like it doesnt matter. I have about 4 people I will kill myself for in labor, and they will do the same for me. I just need to learn more about reading people sometimes. It's my problem just a much as it is theirs.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Thats a perfect example, that is exactly what Im talking about, when it works both ways like that, its even better.
I agree.

I'll agree to do free work for those who I know are good for a favor in return!

Old 11-04-2008, 03:40 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Smokin'
Just because I am not a plumber, or electrician, or mechanic, does not mean I don't deserve compensation for what I do, like its some sort of hobby.

Rant over.

I'm not talking about those of you who I have discussed doing some work for, just so ya know.
Everyone has a skill set that can be utilized by others. It doesn't have to be manual labor type of work to be needed and appreciated. I agree with you, Lisa. You're not born with the skills to do what you do, and you should be justly compensated.

Thanks for clarifying that last part too. You're a sweetheart.

Quick Reply: The OT