General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

The OT

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Powerstrokedlariat
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by liftedgrocerygetter
Okay, Okay, I'll have to take your word for it, but I still have my suspicions of you...

Old 11-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The horns are holding up the halo also...

Old 11-04-2008, 02:55 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
There have been plenty of times that the owner of the car has had body language that tells me I had better ask if they have the money to do the job. Usually it is a few seconds of hesitation before they say: "Yes, fix it." At that point in time, I simply ask them if they want to consider thier decision a little longer. They always take the "out" from having to approve the job. I REALLY don't want to pressure anyone to spend money on thier vehicle that they aren't 100% committed to doing so.
Every time they have been honest about it and say they don't have the funds right now. It's a win-win for both of us, because they simply take the car back home to save up for it, or trade it in on something else.
Sure, I don't get to do THAT job, but I simply turn to the next one in line and go to work.
Sometimes it is the only big job of the day, but I go home at night and sleep well.
That seems like a good approach. Trying to get payment from someone could become a real PITA and/or legal battle.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:58 PM
liftedgrocerygetter
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by preppypyro
Sweet, yes, innocent, ha!!
At least you believe the sweet part

Originally Posted by Powerstrokedlariat
Okay, Okay, I'll have to take your word for it, but I still have my suspicions of you...
Guess you will just have to trust me.

Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
The horns are holding up the halo also...
You can see them, dammit, I usually try to hid those or blend them into my hair.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Never do. I've only had to deal with that scenario once, and that was way back in the beginning when I first bought the business and it was a job left over from the previous owner. There have been plenty of times that the owner of the car has had body language that tells me I had better ask if they have the money to do the job. Usually it is a few seconds of hesitation before they say: "Yes, fix it." At that point in time, I simply ask them if they want to consider thier decision a little longer. They always take the "out" from having to approve the job. I REALLY don't want to pressure anyone to spend money on thier vehicle that they aren't 100% committed to doing so.
Every time they have been honest about it and say they don't have the funds right now. It's a win-win for both of us, because they simply take the car back home to save up for it, or trade it in on something else.
Sure, I don't get to do THAT job, but I simply turn to the next one in line and go to work.
Sometimes it is the only big job of the day, but I go home at night and sleep well.
You're a stand-up guy and a great American, Dan!!

Old 11-04-2008, 03:00 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Its even worse trying to get a payment out of someone when they are A "FRIEND"

Ive done a few custom excavating jobs for friends, and they seem to think they they dont have to pay at all!

Good to know my time, skill, equipment, and fuel is worth something to me still lol.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:00 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
At least you believe the sweet part
guess I shoulda mentioned which part was the sweetest eh... haha

Old 11-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Powerstrokedlariat
Postmaster

Ive done a few custom excavating jobs for friends, and they seem to think they they dont have to pay at all!
Been there, wait, still there, in the middle of it. Happens a lot for some reason. To nice I guess.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten

Good to know my time, skill, equipment, and fuel is worth something to me still lol.
I've lost track of the number of times I've walked away from doing something for a friend that happens to be in my line of work, and they think a beer and a few bucks for fuel money will cover a weeks work. I have one friend in Florida that I walked away feeling so screwed that I've not talked to him in 2 years, and this is a man I've known for almost 40 years. It was not him that shafted me, it was his better half, but he did not have the ***** to stand up to her.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:07 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Brent I have the same damn problem. As stubborn, hard headed, quick to get worked up, pr1ckish that I am, I am ALWAYS trying to help someone else out. Most of the times it comes back to bite me in the @ss and i keep doing it!!

I guess i should add stupid to the above list about me haha.

Ah well, least i feel good for abit while trying to help out

Old 11-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can see them, dammit, I usually try to hid those or blend them into my hair.
I got pretty good eyesight... LOL

There's a little devil in all of us.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:08 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Marco.........

Old 11-04-2008, 03:09 PM
liftedgrocerygetter
Post Fiend
Polo....

haha

Old 11-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Powerstrokedlariat
Postmaster
I walked away from a good friend because of his better half, she thought that since we were good friends, I should do every extra for free. He understood, she did not. Of course, he took her side, so I lost that friend. Bunch of crap. I have a hard time hiring my friends, but lets face it most of my friends are my subs, so it's hard not to. When we built my house I had beer and paychecks ready on demand, I wasnt going to ruin any of my hard earned relationships, no way.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Markadeck
I've lost track of the number of times I've walked away from doing something for a friend that happens to be in my line of work, and they think a beer and a few bucks for fuel money will cover a weeks work. I have one friend in Florida that I walked away feeling so screwed that I've not talked to him in 2 years, and this is a man I've known for almost 40 years. It was not him that shafted me, it was his better half, but he did not have the ***** to stand up to her.

That sucks eh, 40 year "friendship" down the tubes for one week of work, all because they didnt wanna pay ya for your work.

Quick Reply: The OT