Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2 Cycle engine out as additive

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:11 PM
randomhero1172
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Mileage update.

Last 32 Gallons ULSD w/ 32 oz of PSDK (white) - Average 13.75MPG. (1/4 tank worth of light towing, around 1.5 ton's). Avg Speed on highway - 65-70

This tank so far - 16 gallons used with a 1oz/1gallon ratio of 2cycle used - moderate/Heavy towing (3+ tons). Avg Speed on highway- ~70 (was hot shotin today!) Hand calculated @ 12.8 MPG.

Draw any conclusions you want but getting around 1MPG worse, towing more then 6,000Lbs - Thats pretty damn good.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 PM
jrciii56
Elder User
That article on that Mopar site is wrong!!!!!. The BTU of fuel has nothing to do with the cetane rating. Rich did a great job explaining it and there is no need to retype. The BTU of fuel is determined by the amount of gravity the fuel has. The number scale of #2 diesel ranges from around 32-36. Ever since the ULSD the Gravity of fuel is now closer to 36. It used to be aroung 32. The processes that is take to get to a 15ppm fuel removes more of the oil(wax particles) that causes the higher BTUs. Thats why we have lost fuel mileage. The lower the number on the scale the better. The cetane rating has nothing to do with the BTU. Here is what I am thinking. I could be wrong. The reason so many people are praising the 2 cycle for mpg increase is because it is an oil. Oil burns hotter. Therefore more BTU's and that my friends translates into more MPG. I am also going to be trying some 2 cycle. The link has some good info and Definitions for diesel fuel.

http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/GFM..._Fuels_FAQ.asp

Old 03-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I'll just stick with Bio, DK, Stanadyne, or Schaeffer Diesel Treat. It's "brewed" for the job and is cheap enough. I'm not so cheap that I need to save a few dollars a month at the expense of a $1600 set of injectors, or worse, a $7500 engine. Just my humble.... YMMV.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:40 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I spoke with the head of a oil/fuel analysis lab today about a fuel test done for a school district that was having issues with contaminated fuel, after this issue was done I asked about the difference in cetane in #1 and #2. They said what difference, they are the same. But there will be a difference in cetane in any fuel comparison if each sample was refined using different processes, not because it is #1 or #2. the closer you can get to 55 the better, after 55 you hit a plateau. They also said what Jamie said above - cetane does not affect BTU's

So, you cannot say that cetane reduces BTU's - the cetane rating has nothing to do with BTU's.

Again, not fighting the lubrication issue on this, but if he is wrong on this issue - what else?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by randomhero1172
I got 32Oz (perfect for me) of valvoline 2 cycle for 2.99 ... I think thats pretty good. Summer blend XPD may be a little cheaper. Its a lot less then DK, and much more benefit.
...wait a minute. I use 12 oz of DK per tank which is 8 treatments per jug. It costs about ~$16 for a 96 oz, so that's $2 per treatment. 2-cycle ain't cheaper, and whether it's better or not remains to be seen. I think I'll just stick with the stuff made for it...

Old 03-07-2008, 08:59 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Izzy351
...wait a minute. I use 12 oz of DK per tank which is 8 treatments. It costs about ~$16 for a 96 oz jug, so that's $2 per treatment. 2-cycle ain't cheaper, and whether it's better or not remains to be seen. I think I'll just stick with the stuff made for it...
Same thing I was trying to say way above in one of my posts, it's not any cheaper and there are other products that give you the same lubrication or better with additional benefits and no deposits.

I imagine/assume/wonder if the engine cackle reduction factor with 2-cycle leaves quite an impression, kinda like when you first run bio-diesel or install the intank & prepump mods.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Rich, shouldn't you be cleaning house or something like that?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:26 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by randomhero1172
Power? You mean mileage right?

But i agree with your findings Buffalo! I always thought cetane was a rating of fuel quality - Similar to OCTANE. Take a look at MOPAR guys site and you will see that the flashpoints between diesel fuel and 2 cycle oil are very close.

BUFFALO - READ THIS http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%20Dodge/Tips%20&%20Tricks/2%20cycle%20oil/btus/btu.htm

^^ I dont understand how that can be? Im with you on this, but he makes a valid argument. I just dont see how there can be this huge misconception about cetane rating. Read the story on the bottom of the page as well
I hear ya, I was confused afer reading this.... some points & arguments seemed valid but the comparisons and assumptions were inncorrect.

I thought about sending in a fuel sample of #2, then a second sample from the same source with the 2-cycle oil added in, but that would cost $150 plus shipping. Not gonna happen - that's a tank of fuel this week.....

Old 03-07-2008, 09:27 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Rich, shouldn't you be cleaning house or something like that?
I am, taking a break every 10 minutes because I hate the Sh**. Gonna hit the beer next.... first needed my FTE fix

Old 03-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I hear ya, enjoy it. It will go by way too fast.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:01 PM
jrciii56
Elder User
I probably should have stated this in the earlier post, but I was going to try the 2cycle just for the economy purposes. Has anyone had bad experience using the 2cycle. I am just hoping to see some better mpg. Maybe a combo of Schaeffer's Diesel Treat and 2 cycle will yield some good results?

Old 03-07-2008, 10:44 PM
randomhero1172
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Izzy351
...wait a minute. I use 12 oz of DK per tank which is 8 treatments per jug. It costs about ~$16 for a 96 oz, so that's $2 per treatment. 2-cycle ain't cheaper, and whether it's better or not remains to be seen. I think I'll just stick with the stuff made for it...
Depends on the Ratio you use. Its pretty close if you use a higher ratio (Which i do).

Also - about the injector issue - this is the whole reason im doing this. As long as this stuff is clean and provides good lube to our engine i dont think there much that it coud hurt. Someone earlier said it - 2 cycle was made 2 burn. I would never, ever run my truck on or put in my tank used oil or trans fluid.

To clear this up we need something real simple - a oil analysis from blackstone. One control, one with 2 cycle, one with say...diesel kleen. Both run dino for 3500 miles and compare the results. Im gonna be doing this in the future when i get that oil pan patched up.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:59 PM
kawika
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had bought a whole case of 2-stoke oil a few years ago for my two stroke engines, but have since changed to four stoke engines. I still had that case of 2-stroke oil up until a few months ago (I ended up giving it away). Do you think I could just used it up by putting in my tank of diesel? They were the premium 2-stroke oil, quite expensive. I still have a few bottles still laying around for the few weedwackers I still have..

Dave..

Old 03-07-2008, 11:04 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I say no, but there is alot of dissagreement & opinions on this subject and I seem to me in the minority. It's your truck and your decision.

- pick your pony & ride it......

Old 03-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Been watching this story of 2 stroke for awhile now ! I started using it about 6 mo. ago and this just not opinion but my friends as well that my truck does indeed run way quieter!! After the 2nd tankfull I could feel the diff ran as quiet and as smooth as my old gasser!! I pull a 34 ft Fiver been getting about 13mpg !! I cannot complain about that! I use the Wally World oil and I have some empty 16oz and 20 plastic clean soda bottles full that I store behind my back seat and when I fill up I just pour in the oz that I need based on gallons! My buddy has started to use it in his 95 PSD and he said he really likes the results!

Smokie

Quick Reply: 2 Cycle engine out as additive