2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding telescoping trailer tow mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 PM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford Fx4
OK thanks,

I am going to ask a noob question but what is the puddle lamp?
They are small lights on the bottom of the mirrors that illuminate when you unlock the vehicle or open the door. I guess they are supposed to light up the ground below the doors just enough at night for a person to see puddles that my be potentially there. The parent's Five Hundred has them, the lights look cool when you unlock the car walking up to it, but they really don't do anything.

T. J.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
I just got done taking off my door and seeing if I have the wires I need in there for the heat and signal…I DO!! <o></o>

Lt. Green/ white for signal

Dk. Green/ violet for defrost<o></o>

I made sure those are it by unplugging it and seeing if there were pins on the mirrors side and there were not…..so theses are the wires I need.
<o></o><o></o>

But I did not see the black/lt. blue for the puddle lamp function…I guess that I can always add it….
<o></o>
But it’s good that I have the two main ones that I need…..<o></o>

So I think I will be ordering up a pair of towing mirrors for me tomorrow.
<o></o>

Just wanted to let everyone know that my basic mirrors (with no heat or signal) had the wires for theses options already at the plug.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:16 PM
true blue
Elder User

I will look and see if my truck has any wiring at all and follow up.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:27 AM
krane operator
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, they did drop in price,as I had priced them a week ago . Wonder why?

Old 03-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Ford Fx4
Laughing Gas
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by krane operator
Wow, they did drop in price,as I had priced them a week ago . Wonder why?
Must be that so many people are ordering them that they can afford to lower the prices....

I have a another question for you guys…

For the defrost wire it should have current going through it all the time as the mirrors always heat…correct? I don’t have a defrost button, but the wire should still be good to go….right?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:40 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ford Fx4
Must be that so many people are ordering them that they can afford to lower the prices....

I have a another question for you guys…

For the defrost wire it should have current going through it all the time as the mirrors always heat…correct? I don’t have a defrost button, but the wire should still be good to go….right?
Nope, the mirrors aren't always heated. They cycle through for 15-minutes when the defrost button is pushed. You'll have to install a switch. I bet if they were "on" all the time, it would screw up the reflective coating on the back of the mirrors.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:07 AM
true blue
Elder User

I concur. You do not want it on all the time.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 AM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
Originally Posted by kd4crs
I just ordered a set from Tasca Auto Group | Your Online Parts Dealer
They are manual extend with power adjust, heat, turn, and puddle lamps. The price just dropped on them so they are a good deal now. My 06 has everything but the puddle lamps on it, I don't know if your truck will have all the wiring for the other functions.
I finally committed and ordered a set from Tasca as well. Cant wait to get them! I took my Drivers side door panel off the other night to check that I had the necesssary wiring for heat and turn, its all there with the exception of the wire for puddle lamps.

Now I will have to start looking for a climate control module that has the defrost/heated mirrors button -- Ford part# 7L3Z-19980-D.

T. J.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:54 AM
03redstx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by the_webers_inc
I finally committed and ordered a set from Tasca as well. Cant wait to get them! I took my Drivers side door panel off the other night to check that I had the necesssary wiring for heat and turn, its all there with the exception of the wire for puddle lamps.

Now I will have to start looking for a climate control module that has the defrost/heated mirrors button -- Ford part# 7L3Z-19980-D.

T. J.
The button on mine is below the heater controls. i'll try 2 take a pic for you.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:04 PM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
Originally Posted by 03redstx
The button on mine is below the heater controls. i'll try 2 take a pic for you.
Yes, but the button is part of the climate (heater) control assembly. It doesn't look like it with the trim on the dash but when you remove the trim you can see that it is all one piece. I did some research and my truck is wired for heated mirrors, but my current mirrors are power only. That is why I need to get the 7L3Z-19980-D climate control module. It is the same as my current one, but has the button for heated mirrors.

Thanks for the offer of pictures, it will be a good reference for others who might be wondering what I am talking about.

T. J.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:05 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Well, I went to the dealership because I have the Manually Telescoping, Heated, Power, Integrated Turn Signal, with Puddle Lamps, towing mirrors, yet they are not powerfolding, which is what I want. I want those because it's a PITA to go to the car wash, ATM's, McDonalds, or to pull into the garage when my Wife's Edge or Escape is over too far.

Anyway, the dealer quoted me $1133.00 for the mirrors using THEIR discount, which includes no markup, it's simply "net". $552.63 for the left, $385.97 for the right. The glass is $194.00 since the mirror glass won't usually come off without breaking them.

I'm already wired, and my switch is there. I asked about any other mirrors that were powerfold, and he said my mirrors are the only ones for my tuck which have the powerfold option. I see quotes flying around for $160.00 a mirror on here, so I have to ask; are they the powerfold ones? Is it a decent price? Does anyone else have an 08 F150 with the powerfold mirrors?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:15 PM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
F0rdzTuff,

Do you have the part #'s for what you dealer quoted you on?

T. J.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:20 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
F0rdzTuff,

Do you have the part #'s for what you dealer quoted you on?

T. J.
8L3Z-17683-HA (Left Mirror) $552.63
8L3Z-17682-HA (Right Mirror) $385.97
7L3Z-17K707-K (Big glass, Both Mirrors) $177.68
7L3Z-17K707-A (Small Glass Both Mirrors) $16.80

Plus $75..92 for tax

Old 04-08-2008, 04:36 PM
the_webers_inc
A mostly quiet Supporter
I tried to look up the part #'s at Tasca Auto Group | Your Online Parts Dealer, where I just ordered my manual fold Telescoping Towing mirrors. It comes back as part not found for each number. Ford must have just made availible the power fold version of these mirrors? I know that the smaller mirrors have been available as power fold for some time now but was not aware that the towing mirrors were as well now.

The dealership may be your only option for those mirrors for now. But you should ask FTE/PARTS-GUY, he should be able give you a deal.

T. J.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:44 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
I tried to look up the part #'s at Tasca Auto Group | Your Online Parts Dealer, where I just ordered my manual fold Telescoping Towing mirrors. It comes back as part not found for each number. Ford must have just made availible the power fold version of these mirrors? I know that the smaller mirrors have been available as power fold for some time now but was not aware that the towing mirrors were as well now.

The dealership may be your only option for those mirrors for now. But you should ask FTE/PARTS-GUY, he should be able give you a deal.

T. J.
Could be new stuff...I was behind the counter, looking at the pictures, and they are identical to mine, but they fold in at the rearward pull of a button...

Quick Reply: Adding telescoping trailer tow mirrors