Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Offroad & 4x4
Reload this Page >

Official Mall Crawler Spec Thread

Notices

Official Mall Crawler Spec Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:20 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
STGFordCrazy04 is a splendid one to beholdSTGFordCrazy04 is a splendid one to beholdSTGFordCrazy04 is a splendid one to beholdSTGFordCrazy04 is a splendid one to beholdSTGFordCrazy04 is a splendid one to beholdSTGFordCrazy04 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah I guess I have asked you about this before. I still dont understand it though. When .030 over stroker kits can be had for very close to the same money with the top of the line forged junk being better than any component in a 501s rotating assy could ever be.

I went with 1.7 ratio rocker arms because thats why Scotty recommended. I didnt need the higher ratio 1.73s or even 1.8s for my build because of the target RPM range....ie low as possible.

Other than that I honestly dont have a great answer for you. I wrote the check and he sent the "best bang for the buck" parts.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
Truckin4life has a great reputation on FTE.Truckin4life has a great reputation on FTE.Truckin4life has a great reputation on FTE.Truckin4life has a great reputation on FTE.Truckin4life has a great reputation on FTE.
well after catching up on the reading here, apparently i missed something important, as it sounds that nick's vacation is actually a temp ban? is that correct and if so, WHY?

Old 04-12-2008, 12:54 PM
quadzjr
just another Rockwell looser
quadzjr has a great reputation on FTE.quadzjr has a great reputation on FTE.quadzjr has a great reputation on FTE.quadzjr has a great reputation on FTE.quadzjr has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Truckin4life View Post
well after catching up on the reading here, apparently i missed something important, as it sounds that nick's vacation is actually a temp ban? is that correct and if so, WHY?
i said a bad word.......apparently too many times............

Old 04-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Truckin4life
Truckin4life has a great reputation on FTE.Truckin4life has a great reputation on FTE.Truckin4life has a great reputation on FTE.Truckin4life has a great reputation on FTE.Truckin4life has a great reputation on FTE.
oic, that blows... hopefully it wasnt that word...

Old 04-12-2008, 06:58 PM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
roger dowty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.roger dowty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by FTE Fred View Post
oh... me...

Fluffy dice hanging from the rear view mirror, and shagpile seat covers!
now don't be screwing with my dice son...

or my '8 ball' shiftin ****...

or my wal mart tires.... and the almost soft feel of my delux, certified imitation sheep skin seat covers. hmmmm amost heaven or is that heaving...as in after a bad night of tequila and braughtwerst.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:04 AM
Truckin4life
im gunna go with the heaving part. tequila is not so good anyway, but mixed with braughtwerst i can only imagine. I'll take my crown mixed with more crown or coke, either or. now the 8 ball shifter ****, i can stand. Would prefer an old lawnmower piston or something similar though, that would be way awesomer!!! and i just got an idear!

Old 04-13-2008, 02:24 PM
roger dowty
Posting Guru
roger dowty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.roger dowty is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by HighProCam View Post
Haven't you already discussed this
Why a 1.7 rocker and not a 1.73?
Do you have any experience with the pedestal style roller rockers..... Trying to make up my mind on new heads or working the old ones myself
Nice TFS's...btw
i like the pedestal rollers thus far...put on first set on a 380+hp 400 build. The positive lock on them...sturdy compared to the studs...even if they're braced.

The primary issue with pedestal...when using aftermarket parts especially, is to get that geometry right and adjustment correct. Studs are much easier in that department. Using scorpion pedestal on the 400 i had to shim the rocker up to .080 to get the proper geometry and then ordered the pushrods...that really should have been different for int vs exhaust due to the valves i used...pain...but very stable.

The 1.70 rockers will affect lift obviously and that does affect power but the diff between 1.7 and 1.73 is only .009 with a cam lobe of .33". IMO the best way to get low end as far as 'breathing' is to keep the velocity of the charge as high as possible and breath well at low valve lift. thats why i went with a retro hyd roller cam...very steep.

i'm interested in learning why one would use a 1.8 for high rpm apps...never built a high rep motor. I assume it's to increase lift and thus flow without going too extreme with the cam lobe. ok...makes sense i think...with the cam lobe you have to maintain a lift to duration ratio and by using the 1.8 rockers you effectively increase lift w/o affecting that ratio and thus ramp on the lobe...right?

Using any rocker different than stock will screw with your valve geometry ie centering the roller on the valve tip so it travels correctly accross and back etc. It will be a bit harder to do with pedestal rockers but worth it imo. going with 1.8 or 1.7 (on a wheezer) I'd hit up the studs...big studs with a girdle. I was going to put 1.7's on a stock wheezer build in place of the 1.6...i had '65 289 4v heads ported etc sitting on it...even with studs i could not get the geometry even close without what i thought were rather extreme angles... wanted to see what that would do...think it would have been pretty cool. now i have a 260 cam to put in it.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:58 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
godblessmud is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by bigrey6306 View Post
heres a good one...
Not sure it has enough shocks for me...
Oh and please note the "best engineered" trophy!

eBay Motors: Ford : F-250 (item 230239408796 end time Apr-14-08 18:57:25 PDT)
lawl...32 shocks...bwahahaha!I will give props for running a carb...

Old 04-14-2008, 10:23 PM
2kcrewcab
Senior User
2kcrewcab is starting off with a positive reputation.
This thread has had too much seriousness over hte past page. Bring back the QUAD roll bars!

does this fall into mall crawler territory? The tires look like they might give the BFG AT's a run for da suck!

It can even do 200MPH!!!!!

Description
GMC 1500 1/2 ton body,413 BBC 700R trans. tilt bed, Neons, 1 ton rears, Tranny cooler, custom stainless fuel tank, custom 4" frame, roller spring suspension, STREET LEGAL, all lights work, DOT bumpers, strobes,tannue cover,custom ladders welded to frame for entry, power windows, power locks,56x23 tires mounted on rimes with a 16.5 bolt pattern,duel oil filters, lots of fun to drive play with or take to car shows which is what I did with it, I have won several trophies, looking for best cash offer, I have over $40,000.00 in it, but I'm wanting to turn it I no longer have a place to store it, will also consider trades. custom headers with 5" muffler & 4" exhaust. hydralic assist steering.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:28 PM
Truckin4life
that first one... is it a 4 banger, i see the headers only have to main pipes... wff?!?!?!?!?!?!????

Old 04-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Truckin4life
yea im sure those ladders do alot of good while off road, thats one of the first things i see going by by... hi car roof, hi ladder, by car roof by ladder.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:31 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Im diggin the suplus diamond plate monkey f*** of a front bumper...

And Quad roll bars aint gunna help when that 6" body lift (probably made with spare kitchen utensiles and whatnot) lets go and you slide off the frame into a tin can crumple...

Old 04-14-2008, 10:31 PM
crazyredneckanyhow
Post Fiend
crazyredneckanyhow has much to be proud ofcrazyredneckanyhow has much to be proud ofcrazyredneckanyhow has much to be proud ofcrazyredneckanyhow has much to be proud ofcrazyredneckanyhow has much to be proud ofcrazyredneckanyhow has much to be proud ofcrazyredneckanyhow has much to be proud ofcrazyredneckanyhow has much to be proud ofcrazyredneckanyhow has much to be proud ofcrazyredneckanyhow has much to be proud of
Quads truck with a chevy body?

Old 04-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Truckin4life
Originally Posted by godblessmud View Post
Im diggin the suplus diamond plate monkey f*** of a front bumper...

And Quad roll bars aint gunna help when that 6" body lift (probably made with spare kitchen utensiles and whatnot) lets go and you slide off the frame into a tin can crumple...

actually i kinda liked the front bumper but i see it turned over and being a front bumper and a grill guard kinda thing to with proper cut outs for ventilation of course... That would be a numero uno priority on my mall crawler rig, 3 sheets of diamond plate for a front bumper AWESOME!

Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 PM
godblessmud
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Truckin4life View Post
that first one... is it a 4 banger, i see the headers only have to main pipes... wff?!?!?!?!?!?!????
2 pipes per side? WTF has a V4 in it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Mall Crawler Spec Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.